Just got scammed $400, know any local Police?

Tripleskate

As the title states, I've lost $400 to a scammer.

Here's the details:

- On N54tech (BMW forum) I found an item I wanted

- Paid through Paypal

- scammer gave a fake USPS tracking number, which never changes the shipping status

- because of that, Paypal won't take a dispute, thinking it's still in transit

- Paid with a debit card (fuck my life)

- Since it was paid via Debit Card, it's highly likely the bank can't and won't do anything about it

- Have all of scammer's information and info of all his previous scams

- I want his ass in jail by the end of the week and my money back

After calling his local PD (in New Jersey), they told me to file a report with my local PD to "resolve this". So, know anyone who can help me file a report and get my money back?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go downtown to the court house and write a report in person. Good luck CPD probably won't do anything. NEVER EVER EVER EVER use anything other then a credit card to pay online for something. Paypal is not as good as it used to be they like to fuck over buyers anymore.

Have you contacted USPS and asked for an updated status? They should be able to put a tracer on it and then declare it lost etc... Just my $.02

Other than that......death to all scammers! May they choke and suffer for hours before they die.

I'll try that, but their online service shows that the shipping status hasn't changed in 13 days.

Thanks Everybody, called Westerville PD tonight, they wanted to send an officer out in person but I figured it was a little too late tonight, so I said I'd call back tomorrow, they said great. My bank account is tied into a greater Family Account, so if I can't stop by the bank tomorrow, my Mom said she'd give it a go for me. If she can't get through, I'll head out as quickly as possible and handle it myself.

what police department responds to where you started the transaction online? example...home computer in westerville, report with westerville, office computer in dublin, report with dublin.

good luck. if you just want the money back i would go through your bank. sure one day he will get burned...but you wont see it happen.

tom

edit...i posted this about 30 seconds late. sorry.

Few things having dealt with scammers across state lines

#1 Immediately file a claim with their state AG's office. This opens up a state level claim. most state AG offices are pretty good about this. Try this to start with, just a 5 second google search

http://www.state.nj.us/oag/ca/ocp/ocpform2.htm

#2 If you paid with a debit card but charged it as "credit" ie you put your card info in, selected that it was a mastercard or visa, you are afforded the same protections as a credit card.

Good luck, odds are your gonna get ass fucked.

I got hosed on a deal back around xmas. Bought a oem stereo for my gf, even told the kid what I was buying it for. He had 2 stereos listed, 1 was a CRX the other was some other honda. Get the package and low and behold he sends me a 1986 Honda Accord stereo. I contacted him about it and he turns prick saying "I sent you an oem honda stereo", ok fuckhead thats not the point. The point is you sent the wrong one. Long story short he wouldn't refund me.

So I contacted paypal and they told me they only cover the shipment, not the contents of the package. They also told me that he couldve sent me a box full of rocks and theres nothing they could/would do about it. So i went to my bank, filed a claim with them and guess what? I never got any of my money back!!

Another paypal horror story:

My buddy just had 1400 bucks taken out of his bank account by someone that hacked into his paypal and spent the money on god knows what. The scammer went though my buddies history to see what common things he bought, when the scammer bought shit he would put "money for car parts" at the bottom to make paypal believe it was my buddy buying shit. The stuff was shipped to some dude in Cali named Mohamed something or the other, my buddies name is Kevin lol.

Buddy contacated paypal and they said "well it doesn't look like anything out of your ordinary spending habits", refer back to "money for car parts". He contacted his bank and filed a claim with them. Paypal told him they take 60days to recover any money if they find out that he wasn't the one that spent it, his bank told him 45days and the same thing. So far he has gotten back 140 bucks....

They only protect the buyer if you buy it on ebay, then the buyer turns into the scammer. Had a guy file a claim stating that the head he recieved from me had been tossed around hard enough to cause it to need an align hone. Also stated the cams were in the package loosely, funny cause they were bolted down by the cam caps, and item was packaged by owner of my local pakmail and cut down to size to avoid anything bouncing around. Needless to say he got half his money back via a fedex insurance claim, the first one I have ever had to file in about 5k selling transactions.

Isn't "using" the USPS a Felony?

KillJoy

Yes, and they don't fuck around.

My dad got hosed $25k in a ponzi scheme and since it wasn't securities fraud, it dropped to the USPS because the contracts to buy and the checks to the ponzi scheme were sent through the mail. Dude got like a 40 year sentence and a HUGE fine as well as everything he owned seized to pay back investors.

LJ is right. i know for sure with visa, any card that has that logo is protected up to a certain amount...i havent heard about mastercard, but i would assume its the same...i assume this because itd be stupid to not do it if their major competitor offers it. your bank can handle it dude.

I went through this same shit just on nico, the police told its just like local laws if its not over 500$ its just a m1. The hard part is going to prove that this guy did not really send something out and had intentions of stealing your money. I ended up losing 900 bucks just 4 weeks ago, this is the 3rd time this has happend . The other times it was just for small amounts under 200, which no matter what pisses me off. I filed a claim through my bank, local police, and in atlanta and pretty much they tell me that I will never get it back. The hard issue with dealing with the internet is if he does not admit to it, there is not much they can do. Paypal is a fucking joke, debit cards are a fucking joke, if you want to buy something online use a money order that way they can track everything. Another thing is sometimes them damn ups numbers never get updated, I just ordered stuff from california and it showed it was in the system and 3 weeks later it just shows up with any updates.