CAR REPAIR ASSISTANCE NEEDED - HEATED GARAGE, BEER/PIZZA :)

zeitgeist57

Hi, CR. I need your help. :)

I've got my wife's Passat up in the air, axles disconnected, and I'm starting to remove bolts to pull out the transmission for a clutch change. I quickly realized that I'm in over my head (no pun intended).

Anyone that can spend a couple of hours giving me a hand in dropping the transmission would be paid with beer/pizza. I have a transmission jack, air tools, and a HEATED garage...just need a fellow gearhead to help. VW/Audi experience would be appreciated.

Again, I don't need someone for a lot of time...once the tranny is down I'll need to have the flywheel resurfaced before putting it all back together another day. THANKS! :thumbup:

EDIT: Can be later tonight, or sometime tomorrow or Sunday (Sat/Sun preferred).

Edited by zeitgeist57
Timeframe added

He still needs help!!!!!

I was there from 10:45 till 6pm.........almost have the subframe dropped, and from there, only 3 more bolts left in the transmission. Should only be about an hours worth of work left to drop the trans.

We obviously ran into some problems, but it was a good time.

Thanks Clay, I will find out about that part asap.

Aaron, youe help was greatly appreciated. :)

If anyone has some time early Sunday afternoon, I've still got beers, pizza, etc...the job went from "really, really difficult clearances" to "holy shit, we're going to have to drop the subframe." :eek: We were doing well until my wife was going to dinner, and I told Aaron we were done for the day.

Please PM me for directions and phone number. Again, I just want to safely drop the tranny...reassembly will be another day next week. Thanks!

Like I said, had it been 70 degrees outside, we would have gone straight through until it was done.

Darkness and coldness have a way of making hard jobs suck that much more.

I had a great time clay, thanks.

PS. Hopefully you love those wrenches as much as I do!!!!

not sure if you wanted to tackle this job or did not wanna shell out the cash to have it done. Could of gotten a vw tech on the side to do this job for 350 or less.

Its just so hard on the floor especially if you dont have the overhead support to lower the rear part of the engine down to get to some of the bolts.

If my memory serves me right really after you get the axles loose and the starter out, drop the bolts out of the subframe and tilt the motor back its not that bad from there to get all the bolts out and slide the trans out. Plus that trans can get heavy. At least its not an 4 motion unit

I've literally got it almost entirely out. I had to break for evening festivities, get cleaned up...

I dropped the subframe, and did NOT have to remove the exhaust. I really didn't want to break exhaust gaskets...replacing 4 O2 sensors at around $90 a pop is enough for me. :(

Couldn't imagine doing this job with the subframe intact. Soooooo many bolts... :)

I'll call on you again, CR, when I need to put everything back together!

Was this one of those jobs you wish you would have just paid someone to do? lol

It was yesterday, only because Aaron and I spent more time getting familiar with the car and figuring out the approach. Now that it's almost totally disassembled, I'm going to spend the money that would've gone to someone else's labor into new motor mounts, clutch slave cylinder, O2 sensors, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Back from the dead...

Columbus Joint and Clutch is resurfacing the flywheel. Need some beer drinking/pizza eating CR guys to help me put the tranny back in. I'll do all the final buttoning.

Let me know if you have a couple of hours this weekend. Saturday afternoon, Sunday...