Jailed Man Blames Toyota for Fatal Crash

SLOWLX

^ no shit. those have cable operated throttles!

And there was a recall a while back for those years because of cruise-control related accelerations, just like the old Jeep recall.

Of course, the fact that they hit him with eight years was ridiculous even without that. The worst case they could put together against him was that he accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake, then panicked and pushed harder on the wrong pedal when the car accelerated. Eight years for that is fucking ridiculous. He should have gotten failure to control or reckless ops, at worst.

Guest Removed
And there was a recall a while back for those years because of cruise-control related accelerations, just like the old Jeep recall.

bet he didnt get the letter

Recall 01V012000: Accelerator Cable Defect Notes Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles equipped with cruise control and V6 engines, and built at one of two lines at the Kentucky Plant. The accelerator cable housing could be deformed at the cruise control actuator-to-throttle body connection. The accelerator inner-cable could wear away and eventually break. This could allow the throttle to return to idle or remain in its most recent position regardless of accelerator pedal operation, increasing the risk of a crash. Dealers will replace the accelerator cable. Owner notification began February 23, 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

bet he didnt get the letter

He may not have owned the car back in 2001 when the letters went out, and if he did, but still wasn't the original owner, Toyota may not have been able to notify him. Recalls are touchy like that. That's why I always check the VIN on a new(used) car for recalls and completed recall work through a dealer before I buy one.

Guest tbutera2112

Of course, the fact that they hit him with eight years was ridiculous even without that. The worst case they could put together against him was that he accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake, then panicked and pushed harder on the wrong pedal when the car accelerated. Eight years for that is fucking ridiculous. He should have gotten failure to control or reckless ops, at worst.

so he killed people because he was a dumbass and hit the gas instead of the break, and he shoulda got a slap on the wrist 4pt ticket?? are you fucking kidding me??

just because he didnt mean to do it doesnt mean he didnt do it...vehicular manslaughter or negligent homicide seem to fit better into your choices for punishments, and i think he got what he deserved....there isnt enough jail time to bring those people back to life, so i dont think any sentence would be too extreme

so he killed people because he was a dumbass and hit the gas instead of the break, and he shoulda got a slap on the wrist 4pt ticket?? are you fucking kidding me??

just because he didnt mean to do it doesnt mean he didnt do it...vehicular manslaughter or negligent homicide seem to fit better into your choices for punishments, and i think he got what he deserved....there isnt enough jail time to bring those people back to life, so i dont think any sentence would be too extreme

OK, so if your tire blows, and you over-correct and lose control, slamming into an oncoming car, you should serve 8 years?

He panicked, didn't react correctly, and they hit him with a sentence normally reserved for armed robbers and child molesters. Seriously, people have served less time for looking through the sights of a gun and pulling the trigger.

Guest tbutera2112
OK, so if your tire blows, and you over-correct and lose control, slamming into an oncoming car, you should serve 8 years?

He panicked, didn't react correctly, and they hit him with a sentence normally reserved for armed robbers and child molesters. Seriously, people have served less time for looking through the sights of a gun and pulling the trigger.

tire blowing out and being a retard and "accidentally" hitting the gas pedal accelerating to 90mph and smashing into a car are completely different things....motherfucker was probably on his cell phone or some shit not paying attention, i have never in my life seen anyone "accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake, then panicked and pushed harder on the wrong pedal when the car accelerated" and ride it out until going 70-90 and hitting a car while never applying the brakes at all

you make me want to kick babies youre so fucking dumb...every thread you post in

tire blowing out and being a retard and "accidentally" hitting the gas pedal accelerating to 90mph and smashing into a car are completely different things....motherfucker was probably on his cell phone or some shit not paying attention, i have never in my life seen anyone "accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake, then panicked and pushed harder on the wrong pedal when the car accelerated" and ride it out until going 70-90 and hitting a car while never applying the brakes at all

you make me want to kick babies youre so fucking dumb...every thread you post in

Regardless of how you argue it, the prosecution never once made any attempt to prove he deliberately hit the other car. It was an ACCIDENT and he got a sentence they don't give very many people who commit deliberate and premeditated assault.

70 and 90 is a big range. 70mph is more or less the speed limit and that could be him not paying attention and ACSD. 90mph is reckless on its own. Who knows, he got his 15 minutes on AOL news, which, btw, who the hell reads AOL news anymore.