2011 Ford Police Interceptor

OSUGT

Twin turbo V6 + AWD in what might be a decent handling car should make for a nice pursuit vehicle. I like.

It will be interesting to see how well they hold up with the abuse they are going to take. IMO, they should plant a V8 in them vs twin turbos and AWD. Nice to see our tax dollars going up to pay for more tires, AWD repairs and turbos failing.

It will be interesting to see how well they hold up with the abuse they are going to take. IMO, they should plant a V8 in them vs twin turbos and AWD. Nice to see our tax dollars going up to pay for more tires, AWD repairs and turbos failing.

Agreed about the V8 unless maybe they really follow through with upkeep and prove to be reliable, though I think AWD is a great idea (though it does add some complexity).

I think if its properly maintained it shouldn't be a problem, assuming its properly designed/built...which these cars are too new to predict just yet.

Ford definitely dropped the ball on this, IMO. One of the nice things about patrol/fleet Crown Vics is that they're easy and cheap to fix. I was hoping they'd go with the Coyote 5.0 and RWD...oh well.

So with this, I think a lot of departments are going to be looking closer at the Chevy Caprice PPV, because it takes a little of the old school approach with the 6.0 V8 and RWD. Interior space is comparable, too.

I worried a little about no rear wheel drive, but budget conscious cities and counties should enjoy considerable fuel savings.

From Ford's perspective, the crown vic platform is 30+ years old. It's dead. They are gambling on superior technology and lower cost of ownership.

I don't think we realize the amount of government regulation that is in play here. Federal funds to states and municipalities will dictate that vehicles purchased must get X mpg and such. Ford is just a step ahead of the game.

didnt they just switch to chargers not long ago

Some departments did, but of course not all. Most Chargers went into service as older Vic needed replacing.

But you have to keep in mind most departments are getting rid of more and more of the V8's. Most departments have no reason for them if they are just patroling the local street. Most forces are being replaced with V6 cars and then they get a few V8 cars for highway patrol or for a persuite car.

These Fords would be the best of both worlds, V6 for patroling in town, but if they have to chase someone or get somewhere quick, they have the "Ecoboost"

Ford definitely dropped the ball on this, IMO. One of the nice things about patrol/fleet Crown Vics is that they're easy and cheap to fix. I was hoping they'd go with the Coyote 5.0 and RWD...oh well.

So with this, I think a lot of departments are going to be looking closer at the Chevy Caprice PPV, because it takes a little of the old school approach with the 6.0 V8 and RWD. Interior space is comparable, too.

Word. 2 turbos and awd is just more shit to break.