CCW question

justcause

Someone at my work mentioned.. "Ohio is a "3 step" state. Which means there has to be three steps between you and firing your weapon." He went on to describe how you have to have for example the gun in a glove box, ammo in a different location then the clip in a different location.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a concelled carry weapon?

I ask because I will be getting my CCW soon.

huh? So he is saying that if you hold a CHL you have to have the weapon unloaded in the car? That is false.

I thought that sounded weird. I asked him what if I was riding a motorcycle? Do I have to have the ammo in one boot and the clip in the other?

Someone at my work mentioned.. "Ohio is a "3 step" state. Which means there has to be three steps between you and firing your weapon." He went on to describe how you have to have for example the gun in a glove box, ammo in a different location then the clip in a different location.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a concelled carry weapon?

I ask because I will be getting my CCW soon.

This is absolutely correct, old law. Now you have Castle, which technically should over-ride this, but everything is this state is super sketchy.

So for safety's safe you are SAFEST as a law abiding citizen if you follow the above. That was for transportation of a non-CCW firearms transporter.

Maybe he means transporting firearms in a vehicle without having a CHL? That would apply to me when I drive to the range. But honesty I have a range bag that holds all my pistols, ammo, mags together. I put it in the trunk and probably ride dirty.

But does it really matter if I have to stop my car and open a locked trunk, then load mags, then fire the gun?

When I was in the police academy we were told they had to be separated in different compartments out of arms reach. However if you have your ccw then you can carry it on your person concealed. The old law used to say if you had a ccw that you could carry it on your person in a vehicle as long as it was holstered and in plain sight. There was never an explanation of plain sight though. I think if you had the gun unloaded in your bag behind your seat and the ammo in the glove box or something like that then you should be ok if you do not have your ccw.

If you have your CCW then you can have the gun pretty much anywhere loaded. If it is in plain site like the glove box or center console then it doesn't have to be locked, if it is in a container that is out of site the container must be locked. But it can still remain loaded. And the gun does NOT have to be in plain sight anymore. Have everything separated when you have your CHL would defeat the purpose of the CHL.

And while we are on the subject of Concealed Carry, I urge everyone to e-mail every state senator of ohio urging them to support SB 239. I need to be able to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol!

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have convinced the wife to get me the concealed carry class for father's day. Now I was thinking about taking it at New Albany Gun range, is there somewhere else that is better?

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have convinced the wife to get me the concealed carry class for father's day. Now I was thinking about taking it at New Albany Gun range, is there somewhere else that is better?

One of my best friends took his classes there and had nothing but good things to say. It's a little more than where I took mine but from the way he described it, well worth the money.

If you have your CCW then you can have the gun pretty much anywhere loaded. If it is in plain site like the glove box or center console then it doesn't have to be locked, if it is in a container that is out of site the container must be locked. But it can still remain loaded. And the gun does NOT have to be in plain sight anymore. Have everything separated when you have your CHL would defeat the purpose of the CHL.

And while we are on the subject of Concealed Carry, I urge everyone to e-mail every state senator of ohio urging them to support SB 239. I need to be able to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol!

This is the correct answer...

Carry everywhere but a bar, and government property. When the time comes about how you broke the law, it will be upset by what actually happened and if you saved lives. Shoot with your head.

This is the correct answer...

Carry everywhere but a bar, and government property. When the time comes about how you broke the law, it will be upset by what actually happened and if you saved lives. Shoot with your head.

Included is a bar...you would be allowed to enter either carryin BUT you're not allowed to have a alcoholic beverage.

Included is a bar...you would be allowed to enter either carryin BUT you're not allowed to have a alcoholic beverage.

Well that will be nice. My statement should of had a "I" in front of it, but at the time I chose to hit the backspace on that one. Helps from self incrimination, and keeps the whiners down.

What I don't understand is how consuming alcohol while carrying is a misdemeanor, but carrying in a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol and getting caught is a felony even if you aren't drinking. So it's worse to be sober with a gun in a bar than drunk with a gun anywhere else. I really don't get that. We need SB 239...