Texting While Driving Banned in Columbus

3.1cutlass

He Hate Me is correct. A warrant for a search and seizure must be first handed to you. Probable cause does not extend to the search of phones without the owners consent. Similiaraly if they were to search your car and you do not give them permission, any evidence found cannot be used against you in a court.

Please reread the ohio supreme court hearing that upholds our citizens rights (being the 4th amendment) for unlawful police search and seizure.

http://schlissellaw.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/can-the-police-search-your-cell-phone-without-a-warrant/

Game, Set, Match

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tbutera2112
lol at the people who think who think erasing their txts will fix it....theyre going to site you either way, and it would be your job to prove you werent txting....theyre not going to need to see your phone, therye going to ticket you and if you werent txting youre going to have to get a print out of your phone records and take it to court to prove you werent txting....its the same thing as seat belts, they cant "prove" you didnt have it on, but they sure as hell can ticket you for it

He Hate Me is correct. A warrant for a search and seizure must be first handed to you. Probable cause does not extend to the search of phones without the owners consent. Similiaraly if they were to search your car and you do not give them permission, any evidence found cannot be used against you in a court.

Please reread the ohio supreme court hearing that upholds our citizens rights (being the 4th amendment) for unlawful police search and seizure.

http://schlissellaw.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/can-the-police-search-your-cell-phone-without-a-warrant/

Game, Set, Match

Thank you. As I said before, I'll ask for the warrant.

I am thinking that using your phone as a GPS is actually a valid reason, too.

from article,

But city officials say they do not plan to move on to other behind-the-wheel distractions. Eating, sipping, iPod-fiddling and cell-phone chatting will remain legal on streets and highways in the city.

but then they contradict themselves and put this

The ordinance would not only ban text messages and e-mail over the phone, it also would ban drivers from using the Internet by phone, computer or personal digital assistant. Violators could be fined up to $150, and police could stop scofflaws solely for that offense.

I am thinking that using your phone as a GPS is actually a valid reason, too.

Like I said, tinted windows and just don't let them see you do it. I've already relocated my mounting position out of site from a passing car. It's not like they will ever find my iPhone where I can quickly stash it anyway. When the cop walks up to my car, I'll gladly explain that I was just shifting gears and playing with the radio. I'll even hand him my company BlackBerry to check out. I hardly ever use it for anything but an occasional call.

Very, very unlikely that the prosecutor is going to take the evidence presented and say sure, let's go to court and see if I have any other phones. Even so, go for it, it's not under my name nor paid with money connected to me or tied to my addy in anyway. Technically it's not even my phone. I've simply been borrowing it from another source for years :ninja: I'm switching my wife's phone to that same means today.

Hopefully they can produce a clear definition of internet use. Technically, an iPhone is online all the time if I don't close the browser. That doesn't mean I was using it or refreshed my data. Even email comes in automatically through a push not me manually reaching out and checking it. So again, it's up to them to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I'm guilty. I can easily present resonable doubt.

Data-Pack transfers at any specific time don't mean shit if it's the phone doing it via the settings. Again, it doesn't prove I did it. Same with my GPS. It updates real-time....or every few seconds as it tracks satellite positions and relays data using data-pack transfers. Hence why all of the above leads most everyone to have unlimited data plans. Google maps uses phone transmissions just like talking on the phone does.

Go ahead officer, show up in court and lose.

from article,

But city officials say they do not plan to move on to other behind-the-wheel distractions. Eating, sipping, iPod-fiddling and cell-phone chatting will remain legal on streets and highways in the city.

but then they contradict themselves and put this

The ordinance would not only ban text messages and e-mail over the phone, it also would ban drivers from using the Internet by phone, computer or personal digital assistant. Violators could be fined up to $150, and police could stop scofflaws solely for that offense.

Guest 614Streets
the part that worries me, is people are going to get pulled over for just looking down which is scary. i would also like to know how are they going to prove that you were texting while driving if its not out in the open?

Yes

hopefully they can produce a clear definition of internet use. technically, an iPhone is online all the time if I don't close the browser. doesn't mean I was using it or refreshed my data. even email comes in automatically through a push not me manually reaching out and checking it. so again, it's up to them to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I'm guilty. I can easiliy present doubt. data pack transfers at any specific time don't mean shit if it's the phone doing it via the settings. doesn't prove I did it. same with my GPS. it updates real-time....or every few seconds as it tracks satellite positions and relays data. google maps uses phone transmissions just like talking on the phone does.

I think the law is out there to prevent people from multitasking while driving. Shouldnt be a problem for iphone users :lol:

pwnd

The iPhone does all a user to multitask. The issue isn't the hardware, it's that Apple doesn't allow third party developers to use multitasking. That does not mean that the operating system does not support multitasking, it is just a limitation for third party applications. I can actually use most of the bundled apps in a multitask mode without any problems.

I gotta admit, I really don't get the whole need to multi-task with many other apps on a phone anyway. Outside being able to stream music via Pandora and perhaps text message a buddy at the same time, which is believed will happen in OS4, I really don't see a need.

I can surf or check email or listen to my iPod while doing other things already..... What other two things at one time do I really need to do? Not much. Hopefully if they offer it, I can disable that feature as to me, it's fine as-is and I'd rather have my battery life and processor speed, than worrying about trying to work on MS Word and steam music while I flip back and forth to text with a buddy. Doing all that would be annoying as hell on a PC let alone a phone.

I think the law is out there to prevent people from multitasking while driving. Shouldnt be a problem for iphone users :lol:

pwnd

I gotta admit, I really don't get the whole need to multi-task with many other apps on a phone anyway. Outside being able to stream music via Pandora and perhaps text message a buddy at the same time, which is believed will happen in OS4, I really don't see a need.

Damn you cant even text while listening to Pandora? That is seriously fail for me if I cant listen to Pandora and receive text, which I do on a daily basis. Shit, I will have the Turn by Turn GPS on, while streaming MP3's or Pandora through bluetooth to my car stereo, sending/receiving texts, while Google Latitude is running along side my task manager app and facebook widget. Probably surfing CR in the mix somewhere there. I will be doing exactly that tonight when I'm heading over to check out Nurkvinny's car he has for sale.

Pandora and texting would be nice, but doesn't bother me as it stands now. I can see it will be a nice to have once the new OS is out. However, call me old, I don't need music pumped into my ears 24x7 and when I'm typing, it's really more of a distraction. I've watch people do it and I can tell they type and think slower when doing so.

I can use my GPS and iPod/MP3's at the same time, no problem. The GPS has an iPod app built into it. It pumps the GPS turn by turn through my car stereo, lowers the volume on the music when the GPS speaks and then turns it back up when done. Calls also come in and when I answer, the music stops.

I don't use Facebook, but surfing, the phone works just fine doing that.

Damn you cant even text while listening to Pandora? That is seriously fail for me if I cant listen to Pandora and receive text, which I do on a daily basis. Shit, I will have the Turn by Turn GPS on, while streaming MP3's or Pandora through bluetooth to my car stereo, sending/receiving texts, while Google Latitude is running along side my task manager app and facebook widget. Probably surfing CR in the mix somewhere there. I will be doing exactly that tonight when I'm heading over to check out Nurkvinny's car he has for sale.