BUILDING A LSX MOTOR?

STEVE-O

Looking around found some very good info here it is :

The combustion chamber volume does vary across the Gen III V-8 engine family. We've included a chart listing combustion chamber volumes (including gasket volume) and engine compression ratios. On some engines, like the 10.08:1 compression ratio LQ9 345hp 6.0L Escalade Gen III V-8 engine, installing a set of LS6 cylinder heads without changing the head gasket thickness or swapping in dished pistons would result in almost an 11:1 compression ratio. This would force the use of 100-octane fuel to prevent detonation and yet would not net enough power gain for the hassle--not a winning situation for a street vehicle.

In fact, swapping LS6 heads on the aluminum-head-equipped LQ4 or LQ9 6.0L would only result in higher compression. This is because the LQ heads were derived directly from the LS6 heads. This means the LQ intake and exhaust ports are exact copies of the LS6 heads. The main difference is the LQ cylinder head has a 72cc chamber volume while the LS6 head has a 64cc chamber volume.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

so from reading that would you say it is better to use stock lq9 heads get those prted

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^Wait so L92 heads would be good for an ls1 ??? someone on the last page said they wouldn't be...? That they'd be overkill... I obviously need to do more reading on the subject as I just started delving into it, but I don't want to leave this thread confused...

The bore is to small to run L92's on a LS1. GMPP is however releasing new L92 style heads to accommodate the smaller bore of the 5.7's. I am currently in the process of building a LQ4 coupled with LS3 heads and intake. Will be shooting for the 500rwhp mark n/a.

If he wants to make +500rwhp NA. He will have big money in the NA build.

Very few stock bottom end cars have reached that mark NA. The lsx motors you see hit those numbers are ls3 and ls7 motors. Good luck finding either of those motors for less than $5K. Then you will need full boltons, ported heads, ported intake manifold, TB and a cam. You will have another $4-6K right there.

Yes, there are ls1 and ls2 motors that make 500rwhp but, you will spend $6K on the heads, cam, intake manifold and TB alone. Then you will have to buy RRs, electric water pump and all the other bolt ons to make it happen. I think I can count on one hand the stock bottom end ls1/ls2 cars that broke the 500rwhp mark NA.

You can make 400rwhp NA for your budget with the right parts all day long and a stock ls1 bottom end. Try to find an 01 or newer ls1 motor and go with an MS3 cam.

I donty think he is listening to you, Doesnt his car have a LS1 already?

Just buy parts and bolt in the motor, he cant spend over 3k can he?..

I donty think he is listening to you, Doesnt his car have a LS1 already?

Just buy parts and bolt in the motor, he cant spend over 3k can he?..

I am listening. I had a ls1 in my camaro but I sold the car and Have the intentions to build a motor and put it into a 240sx... I had a 240 but sold it to a buddy who needed transportaion and it was not a great shell in the first place...

So I will be building this motor from the bottom up..