BUILDING A LSX MOTOR?

STEVE-O

I am talking 600 crank hp not whp. And honestly I am going to be happy if I put down over 400whp na all said and done so really it doesnt need to meet 600 crank. sorry i guess I should have been a tad more specific.

Um, just buy a stock LS1, throw an LS6 intake on ($300), and a aggressive cam kit ($500), Long Tubes ($300), and tune ($400) and you'll put down over 400rwhp.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, just buy a stock LS1, throw an LS6 intake on ($300), and a aggressive cam kit ($500), Long Tubes ($300), and tune ($400) and you'll put down over 400rwhp.

If I was going to do that why would I not by a ls1 with the ls6 manifold already on it????

This is what I am thinking...

lq4 short block

nice cam

ported ls6 heads and intake

any anything else if I can find cheaply used like a stroker kit or pistons for spray.

If I was going to do that why would I not by a ls1 with the ls6 manifold already on it????

This is what I am thinking...

lq4 short block

nice cam

ported ls6 heads and intake

any anything else if I can find cheaply used like a stroker kit or pistons for spray.

If 400 hp is your goal, why do you want to short block. 400 is easily attainable with bolt ons and cam. throw the ls6 heads on an make 430-440... you don't need a short block for that goal..

Headers would be a start. What TB is on the car, is it ported? What about thermostat?

With ported ls6 heads and a MS3 I made 441 rwhp. Sam with ported ls6 heads and the g5x cam made 439rwhp. Both cars made the exact same tq.

Guest Removed
well I just made 396 last night. with stock 99 heads, ls6 intake, long tubes, hooker catback, ported TB, and a ms3 cam.......... search ls1 tech, cam only ls1s are making 400+ all day long.

with a auto trans tho? thats the thing..find a cam only ls1, with a auto.

well I just made 396 last night. with stock 99 heads, ls6 intake, long tubes, hooker catback, ported TB, and a ms3 cam.......... search ls1 tech, cam only ls1s are making 400+ all day long.

I think his issue might be more related to his stock converter.

This weekend there was a cam only f-body that made like 330 rwhp because the convert could not hold the power.

If you want to make 400rwhp you just need a ls1 stock bottom end full boltons, cam and a ls6 intake manifold.

This.

My 6.0L build includes a built bottom end, but with a mild set of heads on the higher compression LQ9 you could see 400rwhp pretty easy. Thats basically where mine's at.

Guest Removed
Rob, have you looked at the converter at all?

have a circle d on order from my under standing. but still, the converter is not the reason it pulls thru the brakes..that fact the idle is too damn high is!

How high is the idle? Are you saying when he comes to a stop the car continues to push forward?

Idle is right around 900. Car idles fine but when I go to put it in gear the car bogs then the idle jumps up and its on! Off the brakes she will cruise at about 30. For some reason the car wants to rip through the brakes at a stop, I have to put it in neutral at red lights or it will want to push me through the light. IPS said this is due to the stock stall is 1000 on the converter. I've been going back and forth with Circle D's and will most likely get the converter order by the end of the week!

Listen to Linn. I had to drop $8k into the engine to reach 450rwhp na. I'm thinking if I didnt have an auto and rear the car would make about 475ish rwhp. To make 500 I would have to go no smaller than an MS3, get better heads, port the manifold, and lean out the tune a little. Thats another 3.5k in parts, time, and labor. Those iron blocks are great (thinking of getting one myself) but they also add weight to an already front heavy car.

Guess I won't look for much more than 400rwhp na, sucks the auto takes so much away.

If people are making 400rwhp with just a cam and bolt-ons, how much of a gain would be seen with the stg 2.5 5.3l heads or the l92 heads from TSP/PRC?

Guess I won't look for much more than 400rwhp na, sucks the auto takes so much away.

If people are making 400rwhp with just a cam and bolt-ons, how much of a gain would be seen with the stg 2.5 5.3l heads or the l92 heads from TSP/PRC?

You are comparing 2 totally different heads for different applications there. A ported 5.3 head would be fine for a LS1, but not on something with a bigger bore. Vice-versa for L92 head. Given proper homes good heads can show anywhere from 30-50rwhp or more depending on the combination of parts.

You are comparing 2 totally different heads for different applications there. A ported 5.3 head would be fine for a LS1, but not on something with a bigger bore. Vice-versa for L92 head. Given proper homes good heads can show anywhere from 30-50rwhp or more depending on the combination of parts.

oohh, my bad, guess i need to do more readings on teh ls1tech. i just was looking at other stuff on tsp website and noticed their 'packages'. thanks for the info.

Idle is right around 900. Car idles fine but when I go to put it in gear the car bogs then the idle jumps up and its on! Off the brakes she will cruise at about 30. For some reason the car wants to rip through the brakes at a stop, I have to put it in neutral at red lights or it will want to push me through the light. IPS said this is due to the stock stall is 1000 on the converter. I've been going back and forth with Circle D's and will most likely get the converter order by the end of the week!

Ummm, yeah..... that's not good.

Headers would be a start. What TB is on the car, is it ported? What about thermostat?

With ported ls6 heads and a MS3 I made 441 rwhp. Sam with ported ls6 heads and the g5x cam made 439rwhp. Both cars made the exact same tq.

Seeing these numbers makes me feel good about the power that my z06 made. Only mods are cam, kooks LTs and magna flow catback and it made 436hp 405 tq. This makes me want to put a good set of heads on it:D

Listen to Linn. I had to drop $8k into the engine to reach 450rwhp na. I'm thinking if I didnt have an auto and rear the car would make about 475ish rwhp. To make 500 I would have to go no smaller than an MS3, get better heads, port the manifold, and lean out the tune a little. Thats another 3.5k in parts, time, and labor. Those iron blocks are great (thinking of getting one myself) but they also add weight to an already front heavy car.

You don't need an iron block just get a ls3 block. I hate all the new parts that keep coming out because you and I are now both in the same situation we have to rebuy/upgrade aftermarket parts to make more power.