New Car. LSx help !?!?

sol740

So i need some advice on vettes.

The contest is between a 2004 C5 Z06, or a later model C6. I know, they both have LSx's ... so yeah. What I need to understand is some real world reasons why I should take one over the other. Suspension tighter on one ? NEVERMIND THE INTERIOR. ? Better to mod out of the box ? Problems with one over the other ? I actually prefer the looks of the C5, but looks aren't everything.

I'm not interested in a regular C5, and no I can't justify the expense of a C6 Z06 when I have 2 college funds, a new house, and retirement to think of. Not to mention I like food on a semi-regular basis.

This would literally be my first "American" car so please excuse my ignorance.

Edited by sol740

I would rather have a base'ish C6 if it's going to be driven a lot on the streets, the Z's suspension likes to take bumps from Ohio's awesome roads and throw them right up your spine.

Worse than Evo ?

if you go c6 stay away from the 05 the 06 up has better rear and trans.

Thanks, I was looking at 07+ so I should be good.

My friend just bought an '09 basecoupe. Very fast, very fun to drive.

The seats are identical to my fiero and the dash and steering wheel is out of a cobalt. If you like going fast and being uncomfortable, go for it.

Love me some C6. But, I really, really enjoyed my C5 Z06 while I had it. Def. not shitty interiors, IMO. But then again, I didn't buy a Z06 for the interior. :)

No, they're not.

:cool:

Well obviously not the same look. But they are too hard, un-supportive, and feel the same as the fiero seats. A nice hard corner and your ass crawls up the door. They are designed to LOOK sporty, but fit fat assed americans, leaving the bolsters less than supportive for us who are underweight.

I guess I shouldn't have put 'interior' up in the first post. I really can't do any worse than the lancer interior in my Evo. Minus the Recaro seats and Momo steering wheel of course.

As a matter of fact ... fixed.

I had the same decision to make and went with an 02 Z06 with 8200 miles . Prices were just to tempting to justfy a C6. I went on a 2000 mile round trip a few month back and loved every minute I was in that car. I have a G5X3 cam and TEA heads with Kooks headers ,most fun I have had in a while. Not one problem the whole trip and almost 30 mpg. Stock or modded they are the best bang for the buck. Handling is bar none right from the factory. I have 18" Fikse's front and back on Michelin PS2's which helps in the ride quality and handling. I liked the C5 body style better , but both are nice.

My dad has an '08 with the LS3, and even though it's an automatic (w/ paddle shifters) it's so much fun to drive. Very sweet car. I can only imagine how sweet it would be with a manual. If you can afford it, I'd go with a C6. Just a nicer car overall, inside and out. Although I do love the styling of the C5 Z06 just as much.

Well obviously not the same look. But they are too hard, un-supportive, and feel the same as the fiero seats. A nice hard corner and your ass crawls up the door. They are designed to LOOK sporty, but fit fat assed americans, leaving the bolsters less than supportive for us who are underweight.

Really? I'm 6'3'' 180lbs and I fit in a C6 seat nicely, I think they are very comfortable and I happen to love the interiors

A C5 vette is a easy sell for bang for the buck honestly.

Trying to talk a buddy of mine at work into getting one, as the years go on they just get retardedly cheap and you'll have a reliable sporty car that will serve you for years with minimal fuss.

both take well to mods. Stock the c5 02+ i think had the 405 hp LS6, the early c6 had the 400 hp Ls2 and the later one have the 426 hp ls3. From what ive heard, if your looking for handling, go for the c5 as they just feel more planted, but the LS3 takes well to mods

It depends what you are into-

If you want that raw beast feeling (in relative corvette terms), improved road feel, and superior handling go for the c5z.

If you want a comfortable yet blistering fast ride go for the c6- if you want to do the twisties get a Z51 car but know you are still going to have to be a really good driver to catch a c5z.

I personally did not want a removable roof whatsoever and love the fixed roof coupe design of the c5 z06. And coming from a supercharged, h/c/i 5.0 COUPE (are you seeing a pattern here) mustang I thought the c6 was too refined.

I would never trade mine for a c6. A C6Z06 would be the closest temptation but they are a lot of dough and I am partial to the roof design so I would just put an LS7 in my car if I lusted for more NA power..

My dad has an 08 436 hp paddle shift car and it is really nice and smoking fast- but not a c5z- you will have to drive them both to understand what I am saying... most true c5z enthusiasts are only pleased with a lotus elise afterwards as many get c6s and come back. His isn't a Z51 but we were on a road tour with a severe downhill non banked turn, I took it with no problems at all and could have done it much faster and his car got into active handling to recover from a spin- my tires were 6 years old and his less than a year. He would never trade his for mine though I should mention- totally different animals.

BTW you could hear the top squeak and rattle on my dad's car until we modified the latch pins so there IS movement there even if it was designed to be that way.

My dad has an '08 with the LS3, and even though it's an automatic (w/ paddle shifters) it's so much fun to drive. Very sweet car. I can only imagine how sweet it would be with a manual. If you can afford it, I'd go with a C6. Just a nicer car overall, inside and out. Although I do love the styling of the C5 Z06 just as much.

Really? I'm 6'3'' 180lbs and I fit in a C6 seat nicely, I think they are very comfortable and I happen to love the interiors

I guess it is a preference thing, I don't deny they are an absolutely blast to drive and great value for money I just got out very uncomfortable. That is my opinion, and not based on top gear or c.net reviews I drove the car for about 10-12 hours over 2 days and that is my review.

Edit to add, it was a Z51 car.

All of you that bash the interior on the vettes- what are you comparing it to?

My sister and brother in law have lexuses(lexi?), my dad has had numerous porsches, wife and mom drive acuras, my mom's previous car was an infiniti, she has had a lincoln, and before that she had a few audis, I don't think any of them are/were significantly better or worse than the c5 or c6 corvettes. True the radio in the c5 looks like it came out of a blazer as it did but the rest is actually quite nice- my dad's c6 is very nice inside and even has a touch screen nav unit and carbon fiber trim.

Are you comparing the 200K plus cars like ferrari, aston martin, rolls royce with that super soft perforated leather (forget the name of it).

All of you that bash the interior on the vettes- what are you comparing it to?

I will compare it to 4 interiors that I am very familiar with.

93 3000gt vr4, 93 Audi S4, 2000 Audi S4, 03 Escalade

Lets take the 2 1993 cars. I can push anywhere on the dash, radio, arm rests...anywhere in the interior and I will not feel cheap ass plastic anywhere, and I will also not get that hollow, creeky plastic noise when I push on it. The 3000GT being a sports car, it had much better ergonomics than the C5 vette did which is also a sports car. Things are designed to wrap around the driver, not just thrown in there and arranged in some random way, which is my problem with 99% of American cars. Pretty shameful that cars so much holder are holding up so much better.

2000 S4 I think has one of the best interiors, everything is in the right place, everything is solid, everything feels nice to the touch, no creeks, squeeks, no hard cheap plastic, no fading trim pieces. In a GM the paint starts coming off the radio and other high wear areas.

03 escalade is close to the vette interior. You get in and you get that impression that you are in a nice interior. Then you start driving or touching things. Knock on the dash and its that cheap ass squeeky plastic. The radio buttons used to say "1, 2, 3, 4", now it says "[green light shining through plastic], 2, half a 3, black". They throw leather in different places here an there, which helps but its just to distract you from the cheapness.

But see its ok, because you did not buy a vette for a nice interior. But in a Cadillac, you are paying more to have a nice interior, but instead you are getting the chevy interior with a couple of leather patches.

All of you that bash the interior on the vettes- what are you comparing it to?.

I really like the c5 z06 for the money, but every time I see one in person, I just can't stand the cheapness of the interior. The c6 is much better, but it's still nowhere near where it should be for car as expensive as it is. It should at least be as nice as a new gti or something, which I don't think it is. That's GM for ya though. Trickle up philosophy ftl.

^ All of the old 90's japanese GT cars had a cockpit feel in the drivers seat. Supra, 300zx, 3000GT. Part of the machine, instead of in it. Though as stated above I really don't care too much, if the C6 interior is nicer than the C5Z, I will consider that when I pull the trigger on one of these cars, but I doubt it will be a huge contributing factor.

One thing that is 'weighing heavy' on me is the curb weight difference.

I guess I am more of a driving experience kind of guy- I will have to think about this when I drive home today as I certainly felt like a jet pilot wrapped in leather this morning (I have modified my seat bolsters though)... ironically I feel more like I am in a cockpit in my c5z than I do in my dad's c6 as they feel much more spacious to me.

AJ/Garret/Sam/lcz06/Brian what do you think?

Curb weight between a c5z and c6 should be about 3000/3250