s2000 burns oil

TheHaze

...and it's not the normal burning of oil. Cylinder one's spark plug gets oil-fouled within 30 miles of replacing it. I figured it was piston rings or valve-something. I took it to Immke Honda and they confirmed it to be piston rings. They recommended a whole new engine block, pistons, rings and rebuild. Is that the only route I can take? What shops will do it or what are my other options?

They are idiots for saying that. Truly idiots. As Andrew said, you can rebuild the motor. The bigger question, is why did it fail, and only one piston? I would take the motor out and inspect.

Guest Removed

im loving the idiots in this thread!

and what confirmed it?

could be real bad valve guides, the oil rings could be all gummed up(hondas are great for that) and compression/ leak down testing will not tell you about oil rings, just the compression rings.

anyway, its hard to say what you need till it gets torn down.

used motor is a easy way out, or a reman'd long block

or tear your's down and see what up. it the bore is ok, it can get honed and re ringed.

used might be the cheap way out...cause rebuilding takes time. and parts

It has 50,XXX miles on it. Immke wants $7000 for short block and labor, lol. I would never even think of letting that happen. I noticed it was burning a little more oil then most other s2000s but I kept up on checking it. I replaced the plugs about 4k miles ago and cyl 1's plug fouled out recently. I then changed out all the plugs again and within 30 miles, cyl 1's plug fouled again. Oh, it's an AP1.

It has 50,XXX miles on it. Immke wants $7000 for short block and labor, lol. I would never even think of letting that happen. I noticed it was burning a little more oil then most other s2000s but I kept up on checking it. I replaced the plugs about 4k miles ago and cyl 1's plug fouled out recently. I then changed out all the plugs again and within 30 miles, cyl 1's plug fouled again. Oh, it's an AP1.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=521069&st=0

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=453138&st=175

I hope I don't burn in hell for this but sounds like u need to throw a new plug in it drive straigh to a dealer an trade that car in an let the dealer deal with it. :eek: lol. Morally wrong financially smart....

http://siddiqkhalifah.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/hellfire22nu.jpg

I hope I don't burn in hell for this but sounds like u need to throw a new plug in it drive straigh to a dealer an trade that car in an let the dealer deal with it. :eek: lol. Morally wrong financially smart....

I say someone put a load of sugar in your car at the movie theater and you didn't notice until you drove it home and fucked it all up. Insurance claim that Mo-Fo. :ninja:

Umm have you checked the spark plug grommets? Im basing this question off your statement of "the plugs get fouled with oil" Hondas are notorious for this, hell our Dodge Neon just had to have the grommets on valve cover fixed tonight because it was filling the spark plug tubes up with oil and causing the car to run like shit. 2.82 compared to 7k is worth looking into in my opinion

P.S if it ends up being spark plug grommets I accept paypal so please send 7k my way!!

205716 004 004 SEAL, SPARK PLUG TUBE (NOK) 3.92 2.82 @ http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=S2000&catcgry2=2002&catcgry3=2DR+S2000&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=CYLINDER+HEAD+COVER

Oh as for new block: $2748 from same site...Majestic Honda FTW!!