landscaping crew - tips?

evan9381

so my yard is junk. it was last year when i moved in, but i didnt have time to do anything but mow it and lay weed and feed once, and i just told myself id deal with it this year.

my yard has small bare spots, weeds, larger bare spots, more weeds, clumps of grass, etc.

what i think i need to do from searching online is to overseed the lawn...can i do this at this time of year? also some sites talk about aerating the lawn, which i saw i can rent an aerator at lowes and do it myself.

do i have this correct?

1. scalp down lawn with mower on lowest setting (with bagger attachment to reduce cleanup)

2. aerate lawn

3. rake clean of clumps of dirt, any other loose material

4. overseed lawn

5. water daily for next 1-2 months

what can i do about the weeds? can i put down weed and feed after the new grass starts growing? something else?

also, to remove a crab apple tree with a ~6" trunk, should i be able to cut it down, and dig it out and fill the hole with dirt, or is that getting to the size i will need to have someone come in with a stump grinder? ive got a big stump in my front yard i'll be taking care of this summer, so if that would be easier ill do that. if its going to be overkill, i'll dig it up

so my yard is junk. it was last year when i moved in, but i didnt have time to do anything but mow it and lay weed and feed once, and i just told myself id deal with it this year.

my yard has small bare spots, weeds, larger bare spots, more weeds, clumps of grass, etc.

I would spot kill all the weeds now or if anything use a liquid. Hitting them with a good careful dose now should kill them. Hit them about 5 days for a second treatment and if there are any left, go after them later.

what i think i need to do from searching online is to overseed the lawn...can i do this at this time of year?

yes, now is a good time. especially with our temps and rain.

also some sites talk about aerating the lawn, which i saw i can rent an aerator at lowes and do it myself.

Yes, did mine about two years back. No need to scalp the lawn. Just cut it normal and then use the machine. I left the clumps of dirt. They broke down and blended in within 2 weeks (baring a drought)

what can i do about the weeds? can i put down weed and feed after the new grass starts growing? something else?

Must be bad eh? You should wait 6-8 weeks after the new seed has come in to treat for weeds. Personally, I like using a liquid and spot treating them....but then I've never had a ton of weeds. If your yard is bad, you may want to wait a bid on seeding.

An alternative would be to rent a good thatch machine. Clean out the dead layers of shit and allow for the fertizlier to get down to the soil. Treat for the weeds and really nail them. Keep things moist and watered up and you'll be shocked at how well the bare / thin spots fill in.

Come fall, seed what's needed and move on.

also, to remove a crab apple tree with a ~6" trunk, should i be able to cut it down, and dig it out and fill the hole with dirt, or is that getting to the size i will need to have someone come in with a stump grinder? ive got a big stump in my front yard i'll be taking care of this summer, so if that would be easier ill do that. if its going to be overkill, i'll dig it up

Just took down one myself. About 15-20' high. I cut the stump down to about 6" below the soil. Pulling it out is a huge PIA. I'm just going to have a stump grinder brought in. Ping Jacob....with the Yellow RX-7 minus the body kit....he can hook you up. I need to finalize plans with him on a lot of work yet this week.

Go to Lesco and get their fertilizer and fescue grass seed you will not regret it and in a few months your will not believe your eyes,I was where you were at last year and its been a transformation.

http://www.lesco.com/Default.aspx

Carl saw you today at easton car looks good. Just needs moAr lowd.

I would spot kill all the weeds now or if anything use a liquid. Hitting them with a good careful dose now should kill them. Hit them about 5 days for a second treatment and if there are any left, go after them later.

yes, now is a good time. especially with our temps and rain.

Yes, did mine about two years back. No need to scalp the lawn. Just cut it normal and then use the machine. I left the clumps of dirt. They broke down and blended in within 2 weeks (baring a drought)

Must be bad eh? You should wait 6-8 weeks after the new seed has come in to treat for weeds. Personally, I like using a liquid and spot treating them....but then I've never had a ton of weeds. If your yard is bad, you may want to wait a bid on seeding.

An alternative would be to rent a good thatch machine. Clean out the dead layers of shit and allow for the fertizlier to get down to the soil. Treat for the weeds and really nail them. Keep things moist and watered up and you'll be shocked at how well the bare / thin spots fill in.

Come fall, seed what's needed and move on.

Just took down one myself. About 15-20' high. I cut the stump down to about 6" below the soil. Pulling it out is a huge PIA. I'm just going to have a stump grinder brought in. Ping Jacob....with the Yellow RX-7 minus the body kit....he can hook you up. I need to finalize plans with him on a lot of work yet this week.

Yup.

Topsoil the bare spots and put seed and pen mulch down. water during the morning and night, never during the day. Cut your grass on a higher setting never on a low. Higher settings allow the grass to have deep roots.

depending on how big the crab is you might be able to dig it out. Just needs some muscle.

Also put down some Scotts turf builder plus 2 weed control. This will kill dandelions and other weeds. Also helps keep roots strong.

I just went through this too. Bought a house that had been sitting for 2 years after being built. Lawn was terrible. Last fall/year I didn't do much other than cut it.

What I did was in the early spring

-Weed and Feed (The weeds hadn't started coming up yet)

-Aerate

-Over seed

-For the bare spots I mixed seed with potting soil. The potting soil has a ton of nutrients to help the seed grow.

-3-4 weeks later I weed and feed again.

-Constantly over seeding before it rains.

Also every weekend I walk around and hit and individual weeds/clover trying to grow with my hand pump sprayer.

The problem with my yard is the empty lot next door is filled with head high weeds and all that shit blows into my yard. Until the lot is developed it's going to be a battle. I also back onto a forest so I have all those weeds trying o creep into my yard. I hope to build a mulch bed across the back to form a barrier.

It should be really nice by next year. It already is way better than when I bought it. It's probably the 3rd nicest yard in the neighborhood. Lots of complements from the neighbors. It's nice to see some actual progress being made as the bare spots fill in.

yeah, i read a while back (like when i was living at home) that watering during the day with the sun out will fry the grass. just watering at night at my parents we noticed a bit of a difference.

Best is early morning.

I've been told watering at night can promote fungus and mold.

It will smell like ass but I'd recommend using ComTil mixed with your top soil. The stuff is killer fertilizer and as long as your not growing veggies you can't go wrong. I agree with everything else just wanted to toss this in. I also water in the morning. It would be a good time to put in a deduct meter if you have city water. No sense in paying sewage for watering your yard and washing your car. Look up water meters in the yellow pages and there is a place here in Dublin that sells them, I don't remember the name. You'll have to have it inspected by the city so just tell them you had a certified plummer do it. A good solid watering each week should keep the yard looking good.

-water in late eveningj(8 to 10) and early morning (6 to 8)

-use a product called momentum for all weeds growing in lawn like dandi's

-never scalp your lawn cut at 3.5 to 4 inches

-I would suggest slit seeding after aeration

-For a good stump grinder you are looking at 75 for 4 hour rental. You could take about ten stumps out in that time. Try pro tool rental for all rental needs.

-I would also suggest Columbus Turf on polaris for all fertilizers. Dan used to run Lesco and made it what it was, now that he is gone Lesco( now John Deere Landscapes) just isnt what it used to be.

*** normal pollen count is 1 to 2 million, do to the hard winter pollen counts are over 4 million. So basically even lawns with winterizer and pre-emergent still have some weeds.

a guy at work had a woman come out and grind like 10 black walnut stumps at his place and said it was cheap...$50 is popping into my head but it may have been $100. im not going to do something like that myself if i can have a pro do it for that little

and what is slit seeding? i was reading after the aeration to do the overseeding so it gets down into the ground and forms deep roots...what would you charge to do an aeration? it may just be better for me to have someone do it than to mess with it myself.