"We Speak English... Learn it!"

Main3s

i can see him retracting that statement... We fought the Revolutionary war so we could be free. Just b/c the majority of us speak English does not give us the right to make people learn English. What is America's national language anyways? after saying that. If I was in Alabama I would vote for him.

Politicians should focus on balancing budgets, and making life better for its citizens. I would like to see the raw monetary numbers of what kind of state savings they incur from doing away with tests in multiple languages. Is it the print cost ? Why not use computer stations programmed in multiple languages ? I know immigrants who speak English well enough, but aren't as efficient reading/writing. Its sad people will gob onto such hackneyed one liners and take that as a useful platform for leadership.

Politicians should focus on balancing budgets, and making life better for its citizens. I would like to see the raw monetary numbers of what kind of state savings they incur from doing away with tests in multiple languages. Is it the print cost ? Why not use computer stations programmed in multiple languages ? I know immigrants who speak English well enough, but aren't as efficient reading/writing. Its sad people will gob onto such hackneyed one liners and take that as a useful platform for leadership.

agreed

Ignorant. At least, that's the best excuse I can make for him.

agreed.

not sure if I would vote for him. It is really easy to say one would do this or that then once in office realize there is redtape around a lot of things. It happens to every president.

I can't + rep you anymore, but if I could I would. I agree 100000%.

I do find it slightly annoying sometimes when I go to talk with people and they can't speak English. I personally feel that if someone chooses to go live in another country they should at least make an attempt to learn the language. I would hold myself to the same standards.

But for an elected official to use such statements as a way to attract voters is just feeding into narrow minded individuals. Which IMO are worse for this country then people who can't understand the language.

Makes sense to me and I agree. If someone is going to move here speak English. The Japanese do it. He'll, I have seveal Honda folks on our block and even the mothers take English classes along with the kids.

Not only will it save on costs but it will make the roads safer. I sure as he'll don't believe for a minute that the shit hole aliens in Columbus who don't speak English can read a traffic sign to save thier life.

I vote for us to get Arizona's new immigration law. Just got back from a trip to Dallas and the public there is all for it too. Like 85% who took the poll voted for it. Ironically all the aliens who one would think would vote against it probably couldn't participate in the poll. :)

Makes sense to me and I agree. If someone is going to move here speak English. The Japanese do it. He'll, I have seveal Honda folks on our block and even the mothers take English classes along with the kids.

Not only will it save on costs but it will make the roads safer. I sure as he'll don't believe for a minute that the shit hole aliens in Columbus who don't speak English can read a traffic sign to save thier life.

I vote for us to get Arizona's new immigration law. Just got back from a trip to Dallas and the public there is all for it too. Like 85% who took the poll voted for it. Ironically all the aliens who one would think would vote against it probably couldn't participate in the poll. :)

Pretty much, I wouldn't move to france and expect them to conform to me. I still dream of the day when they round up all of the illegal immigrants, shove them back across the border and install sentry guns.

It might cost a few coyote lives, but we can live with the PETA backlash.

Pretty much, I wouldn't move to france and expect them to conform to me. I still dream of the day when they round up all of the PETA activists, shove them across the border and install sentry guns.

Fixed

Hmmm... Interesting...

http://www.us-english.org/view/13

Alabama already has English as their state language. The USA has no official language stated in any bills, amendments or laws.

Of the 80%-90% of our population that "speak" English, I would say that roughly 10% of those actually speak it correctly. So why even bother making it the national language?

Edit: I am in the 70%-80% that do not speak it correctly.

i am so sick of seeing all these illegals here in Columbus, they are everywhere. if you came here the right way congratulations, now assimilate, at least learn the damn language.

we need to mandate English as the Nations Language, and enforce new laws requiring English proficiency

i am so sick of seeing all these illegals here in Columbus, they are everywhere. if you came here the right way congratulations, now assimilate, at least learn the damn language.

we need to mandate English as the Nations Language, and enforce new laws requiring English proficiency

Not to start shit, but more or less just asking the question... How do you know the people you see are illegal?

Example, I contracted a girl almost a year ago to do work and she had a Mexican friend helping her. For months her Mexican friend hardly said 2 words to me. I assumed that he was probably illegal and that's why all the paperwork was in her name and he did the work without speaking. Well one day I finally decided to just try and talk to him, turns out he spoke pretty good English, broken, but we held a conversation and he understood it. After a few more weeks of just talking to him when he came up to work I found out that he's lived in Columbus for about 3 years and was here legally he was very proud to tell me all about getting his citizenship.

Long story short I judged this guy without knowing his situation, I say he didn't speak to me, but at the same time I never tried to speak to him. Imagine moving to a different country where everyone stares at you and judges you but doesn't speak to you. I have no doubt that there are plenty of illegal immigrants in Columbus who are causing issues be it on intentional or not (car accidents). I disagree with people making any blanketed statement about people they don’t know. Learn OUR language or get out! :rolleyes:

JR, I gotta disagree with you on this one man. If a person can come to the united states and eek out a happy (i.e. pursuit of) existence and never learn a lick of English more power to em. Now most immigrants working on citizenship usually do try to learn to communicate within reason. Though some people are citizens here, and live in practically autonomous societies while obeying federal and state laws and also don't speak English. Any Chinatown is a good example. I think a lot of the problem is people misconstrue 'speaking another language' with 'being illegal', which is borderline retarded.

What does "enforcing English" have to do with freedom ? How do you enforce such a law ? Is there a time-limit to how long you can take to "learn" English ? Who is paying for the department that handles these Language issues ? The English tests and support costs? Is there an appeals process ? How much does that cost ? What is the effect ? Is it positive ? Is it worth it ? Are you making it more enticing to go the illegal route to avoid the hassle ?

This kind of legislation would be a gigantic waste of time. Especially when the actual problem most people have is illegal workers taking up jobs, (blame the employer not the worker, though most of these jobs aren't exactly desirable anyway, also blame the average American citizen for constantly choosing the lowest price, you want legal workers we will pay higher prices for services) when there is double-digit unemployment. Or illegals having access to welfare, or medical benefits all of which are valid concerns, and due reform to close the biggest loopholes, but English Language laws would be an egregious (and expensive and unnecessary) overstep.

Pretty much, I wouldn't move to france and expect them to conform to me. I still dream of the day when they round up all of the illegal immigrants, shove them back across the border and install sentry guns.

That makes 2 of us.

Countries with a national language all around operate smoother. Granted "more power to them" if they can get away without learning English, but historically speaking bilingual countries just are not successful.

I do respect this guy for standing up for what he believes in and I do support his "idea" unfortunately I do believe it is too little too late. Try to kick them out or force them to do something and see what happens. Hell look what they are planning for May 1st...

Not to start shit, but more or less just asking the question... How do you know the people you see are illegal?

Example, I contracted a girl almost a year ago to do work and she had a Mexican friend helping her. For months her Mexican friend hardly said 2 words to me. I assumed that he was probably illegal and that's why all the paperwork was in her name and he did the work without speaking. Well one day I finally decided to just try and talk to him, turns out he spoke pretty good English, broken, but we held a conversation and he understood it. After a few more weeks of just talking to him when he came up to work I found out that he's lived in Columbus for about 3 years and was here legally he was very proud to tell me all about getting his citizenship.

Long story short I judged this guy without knowing his situation, I say he didn't speak to me, but at the same time I never tried to speak to him. Imagine moving to a different country where everyone stares at you and judges you but doesn't speak to you. I have no doubt that there are plenty of illegal immigrants in Columbus who are causing issues be it on intentional or not (car accidents). I disagree with people making any blanketed statement about people they don’t know. Learn OUR language or get out! :rolleyes:

exception to the rule?

References? that makes mo sense to me. I'd say we operate pretty smoothly and we have no national language.

Well think about it. Courts are all in English, the documents that founded this country, the laws the govern respective areas etc. 30 states have already made English their official language. Imagine if this gets more out of hand the problems with business/courts/or even translating current laws and regulations to mean the same thing in multiple languages. Even though government may use other languages to be legally binding official it must act or communicate in the English language. Im not saying its bad to know multiple languages I am just saying for a lot of reasons it is good to have a national language that dominates legally and if you want to understand the countries rules and regulations you must know it and not have a driving test available in 12 different languages...