98 Ls1 Exhaust suggestions

Protection

I have about a $700 Budget. So here's my delimma. I'm doing an ebay header (not sure if im doing longtubes or shorties due to im doing it myself) And some kind of catback exhaust. Should i Go with SLP loudmouth 2 OR 2 SLp resonators with a custom true dual exhaust? What would give me a better gain on both ends? I've seen the loudmouth 2 system as low as 380 something shipped. and i seen the resonators for 160 shipped. Make sense? Help.

I also wanna know if someones done the true duals and if they have rubbing problems?

Thanks, JOe

And i hope i posted this in the right section..

You need to buy good long tube an ORY and a cut out, this will be the cheapest way to go and make the most power. If you have to go with cheap heads then I would go with Flowtechs it's the same design as Hookers just cheaper. Just make sure you clean the slag out of the long tubes before installing any cheap brand.

Slag? And i wan't a full exhaust that sounds good. Ive pulled on a guy with the same mods as me Lid, exhaust.. I had a Loudmouth and he had a magnaflow with the cutouts.. His sounded like shit and i still pulled a half car. Both 99 Z-28's and i had my girl in the car with me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Header-98-99-Camaro-Firebird-V8-5-7L-Stainless-/170478284376?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b14c2e58

I was thinking about this with Custom 2.5 inch exhaust to the rear bumper with the SLP resonators somewhere in the middle for the good sound.

Slag? And i wan't a full exhaust that sounds good. Ive pulled on a guy with the same mods as me Lid, exhaust.. I had a Loudmouth and he had a magnaflow with the cutouts.. His sounded like shit and i still pulled a half car. Both 99 Z-28's and i had my girl in the car with me.

Slag = extra metal left over from welding.

If you want to make the most power buy 1 7/8 headers ORY and a cutout. Leave the stock cat back on your car.

For example: here is how my car sounded with Flowtech 1 3/4 headers ORY cut out open, stock axle back and a cam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Header-98-99-Camaro-Firebird-V8-5-7L-Stainless-/170478284376?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b14c2e58

I was thinking about this with Custom 2.5 inch exhaust to the rear bumper with the SLP resonators somewhere in the middle for the good sound.

I would not buy those headers or go with a 2.5 inch exhaust.

So. NO on the tru duals? The stock exhaust sounds so restricting!

With a cut out open, nothing is going thru the stock exhaust but, if you want the car quite you can close it.

When you say tru duals are you talking about running an x pipe? Can you do all the work yourself?

No I was going to do the headers and ory myself. No x pipe just straight back to the bumper from the collector. With the necessary bends to fit correctly of course.

I would just do it right once. Buy good long tubes that are atleast 1 7/8s an ORY and then if you can do the work yourself make a cat back. Alot of people start to complain about the SLP loud mouth once they do headers.

I like having the option to make my car quite when needed and love having an E cutout.

Be careful getting the loudmouth exhausts. Those things can get pretty loud after a few mods and there is no turning them off. Get pacesetters long tubes, magnaflow 3'' catback and a cutout. If you cant afford them wait until you can..

You need to buy good long tube an ORY and a cut out, this will be the cheapest way to go and make the most power.

+1 million

I would just do it right once. Buy good long tubes that are atleast 1 7/8s an ORY and then if you can do the work yourself make a cat back. Alot of people start to complain about the SLP loud mouth once they do headers.

I like having the option to make my car quite when needed and love having an E cutout.

again, +1 million

It is LOUD with the cutout open (and sounds good IMO) but whenever I want it quiet I just hold a switch for a few seconds, it's as simple as that. Best bang for the buck, best performance gains, and the added bonus of being able to control how loud you want it.

Be careful getting the loudmouth exhausts. Those things can get pretty loud after a few mods and there is no turning them off. Get pacesetters long tubes, magnaflow 3'' catback and a cutout. If you cant afford them wait until you can..

There's my intended setup. The magnaflow is a nice piece.

I have pacesetter LT, ory, and a hooker catback. I love the way mine sounds with my cam. if you want to do true duals you don't need a ory or x. just do 3" all the way back and dump them before the axle.

This

if you guys want to really talk advanced exhaust set up then 1 5/8" headers make more power then 1 7/8" headers on a n/a engine (been proven, i can find the artical if you want. h/c LS1 on an engine dyno) while 3" is bigger than you need untill you get to the 500rwhp mark there won't be any hp loss going that big.

if you do 3" then you can run that to the axle into the mufflers then drop it down to 2 1/2" out of the mufflers and over the axle. this will help the with the exhaust scavenging because the gasses have cooled down by the time they get to the mufflers and take up less space.

if you guys want to really talk advanced exhaust set up then 1 5/8" headers make more power then 1 7/8" headers on a n/a engine (been proven, i can find the artical if you want. h/c LS1 on an engine dyno) while 3" is bigger than you need untill you get to the 500rwhp mark there won't be any hp loss going that big.

if you do 3" then you can run that to the axle into the mufflers then drop it down to 2 1/2" out of the mufflers and over the axle. this will help the with the exhaust scavenging because the gasses have cooled down by the time they get to the mufflers and take up less space.

Any lsx car this is going to go H/C will make more power with a 1 7/8 header over a 1 3/4.

For any artical you find I'm sure I can't find twice as many people who either ET better with the larger exhaust or made more power on the dyno.

+1 My car originally was going to be n/a (reason for the non nitrous friendly cam I have). I did a lot of research before getting my lt's and I only saw a few people that said that 1 3/4 were better n/a.