School me on SVT Focus

I have had a couple of 6 gen Celicas, too. Very under-powered, but excellent cars. I would think if you fit in it, you would fit in the Sentra. That generation Sentra isn't considered a sub-compact.

Here's an outstanding deal on one with 61K miles (and it's in OH): http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/1692487539.html

I am not big on the civics, but that's because everyone seems to have one. They're ok, but like you I don't feel they handle quite like they should. But afterall, they are Hondas.

Good luck on your search!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want an NA standard transmission 4 banger coupe with decent gas mileage under $7000

a coupe has 2 doors and a trunk. A focus is a hatchback.

what you described can be:

a 4 banger turbo mustang or t-bird.

Honda civic Si

chevy cobalt SS (they made them with 170 hp 4 cyl natually aspirated)

cavilier z24

i'm sure thier are more but that is just off the top of my head.

+1 on the SVT Contour, but like you said, you don't fit into it, so that's out. I've had mine for coming up on 3 years and 45K miles and it's been perfect. No issues what so ever. However, that can be hit and miss with the SVT Contour, from what I've read. I guess I got lucky with mine... :)

I have one; an 03. Peaky powerband, high redline, corners like a demon. It has about 85k miles on it now, original clutch, and is pretty solid all around. Excellent brakes. Needs a bigger sway bar in the back - it rolls a little more than I like. But it's really an exceptional Focus - for what that's worth. No Sentra or Celica of similar vintage can ever compare, really. The SVT team doesn't mess around.

It's the wife's daily driver.

I could think of a bunch of other cars I hate, that I would buy before a Focus.

+1

get the svt contour instead its basically the same chassis only you get the 2.6 V6 that gets about the same mileage and a manual trans

I think turborust has one for sale

+1 for a Contour

they are damn ugly though.

And a Focus isn't? :confused:

I remember seeing a brand new Focus when they first came out and thinking it was one of the ugliest cars I'd ever seen. Not just the exterior, but interior as well. I mean that dashboard is the wackest thing out there, other than the Saturn Ion.

The SVT looks a lot better than a base Focus, but still. It's all just personal taste, but I would much rather take an SVT Contour over a Focus

+1 on the SVT Contour, but like you said, you don't fit into it, so that's out. I've had mine for coming up on 3 years and 45K miles and it's been perfect. No issues what so ever. However, that can be hit and miss with the SVT Contour, from what I've read. I guess I got lucky with mine... :)

With only 45k miles, I would hope it's been perfect..

The Sentra's MUST get an aftermarket header, and have the butterfly valves in the intake manifold loctited. The header will add a solid 10-13whp though. They're great little cars with these two fixes. Selling mine that was paid off was the worst mistake of my life.

I forgot to say WHY you NEED the header. The precat in the stock manifold WILL fail and your engine will eat shards of it, an aftermaket header eliminates this, and is quite easy to install. If I could do it when I was 18, anyone can.

i think the focus is one of the best looking small cars. well, the first gen anyways. can't wait for the next focus to show up, great looking car!

+1, I've had 4 of them!

My "svt" focus...http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t124/BAM614_Cobra/2003%20Ford%20Focus%20ZX5/Photo0105.jpg

I have had a couple of 6 gen Celicas, too. Very under-powered, but excellent cars. I would think if you fit in it, you would fit in the Sentra. That generation Sentra isn't considered a sub-compact.

Here's an outstanding deal on one with 61K miles (and it's in OH): http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/1692487539.html

I am not big on the civics, but that's because everyone seems to have one. They're ok, but like you I don't feel they handle quite like they should. But afterall, they are Hondas.

Good luck on your search!!

wow thanks for the headsup. that looks like a solid deal

sean, ive heard that not many of those cars last beyond 100k, seems like you have awhile until you have to worry about that but thats just what i heard from some Ford tech's way back in the day.

As for the SVT focus, Ive always liked them, when car shopping a few months ago i looked around and was really surprised to find very few in ohio and no 2 door models, all were 4 door with over 100k.

i think the focus is one of the best looking small cars. well, the first gen anyways. can't wait for the next focus to show up, great looking car!

I always liked the first-gen 3-door models. Not too keen on the 5-doors, hate the sedans, and hate anything built after 2004. Next year's model should be really pretty great, though, especially if they bring SVT back into the development process.

My 3-door:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/bennett9000/SVT/focus5.jpg

I recommend a 2000-2005 Celica GT-s 6 speed. I really miss mine, it was a 2000 with a rev limit of 8500 rpm 6 speed. It dynoed at 190 fwhp with a few bolts on and an apexi pcm controller. The 2000-01 has the shift gate issues where people misshifted. I never had an issue with mine, you just have to know how to drive. Also the 02 and 05 had a rev limit of 7800 rpm vs the 8500 redline. They can also handle about 8 psi of boost either turbo or supercharger on stock internals. I may buy another one at some point they are getting cheaper and cheaper.

I have a 2000 CSVT and love the car to death, not fast at all but I really enjoy the overall performance of it, and it handles relatively well. Only issue I've had is blowing differentials and the transmission went out at 67k. But it makes for a great DD. I always have liked the styling of the Contour over the Focus, just not really feeling the hatch.

The CSVTs are a blast to drive they just they don't like floggings, mine was sure to pass that bit of information by me. But other than the transmission (previous owner beat the hell out of the poor car) and a differential the only other issue I've had is the damn side skirt jack point plastic things keep falling out. The car has 146k(ish) miles on her right now and still starts right up and runs just fine. Get out and drive one around!

I owned an 03 SVT Focus for a short while. Bought the car with 16,000 miles and was able to snap everything in the front end and blow the motar during a rough 1-2 shift by 36,000 miles. I will never own a ford ever again. For what its worth I also never tracked the car and the abuse it went through was nothing compared to what my other cars have gone through and they never had problems to that extent. I have also read on other fourms of other people having major complaints with the car but for every complaint there was someone to say they have never had problems with the vehicle, and it was the best car they have owned. I am not saying don't buy an SVT thats up to you, however, I would not recommend one to say the least.

I own a CSVT and love it its pretty peppy for a V-6 when the secondaries kick in it has good cornering and handling the car has 124k on it but the motor has 30k on it basic mods,intake,exhaust,bigger injectors, port and polished heads spec 2 racing clutch and flywheel ive only owned it for 2 years but its a blast driving its not the fastest car in the world and not saying its a beast in HP but a decent car to own