Looking for a fun DD...

T Rex

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again, the OP wants a good daily, I don't think any of those qualify once winter rolls around

He said RWD or AWD

3000gt VR4--------------AWD

99-04 Mustang GT------RWD

Nissan 350Z-------------RWD

Infinti G35--------------RWD

Trans Am or Firebird---RWD

All very fun cars. All around 12,000 used with decent mileage.

RWD is fine as a daily in the winter. I've survived 2 very snowy winters in my Mustang. You just have to know how to drive it. When its even remotely snowy you just have to accelerate very slowly and not gas it around turns. Occasionally the skill of counter-steering is needed, but not if you're careful.

Besides RWD can be a hellofalotof fun in the winter time. Sometimes its fun to go to a parking lot and do laps sideways or do some serious donuts without wearing away the tires.

All the cars i listed are decently fast, decently good on gas, good looking, fun to drive cars that are reliable as DD's.

I also support the S2000, i think that was a very good idea.

He said RWD or AWD

3000gt VR4--------------AWD

99-04 Mustang GT------RWD

Nissan 350Z-------------RWD

Infinti G35--------------RWD

Trans Am or Firebird---RWD

All very fun cars. All around 12,000 used with decent mileage.

RWD is fine as a daily in the winter. I've survived 2 very snowy winters in my Mustang. You just have to know how to drive it. When its even remotely snowy you just have to accelerate very slowly and not gas it around turns. Occasionally the skill of counter-steering is needed, but not if you're careful.

Really? I had no idea :rolleyes:

I have driven RWD cars every winter the past four years (a couple 2WD S10's and a Camaro) I think I know a thing or two about driving them in the snow.

The point I was trying to make is that when I hear the words "daily driver" Mustang or Camaro or s2000 or whatever doesn't exactly come to mind. Yes, they can be fun cars. But how practical? I think a CTS or WRX or something along those lines would fit better into the "daily driver" category, don't you think?

Just because you CAN drive one in the winter doesn't mean it's practical or enjoyable.

The CTS is RWD as well? don't know why its any better than anything i listed.

the real question is how do you feel about any of the mentioned cars, T Rex?

I forgot one stipulation that I also was looking at... 4 doors.

Every car people have mentioned in the thread I have wanted at some point in time in my life.

BMW's, I only worry about how much it will cost to fix stuff. If I went BMW I would def want an e30.

Audi's, same as above, I have always been a huge fan of their cars and body styles. It seems that 1.8t parts are available everywhere and anywhere.

Lexus IS300, My girlfriend drives an RX300 with 140000 miles and that thing drives like its brand new. She drives the shit out of that thing too. I have been impressed with the reliability of Lexus's and I have been in love with the is300 since I first saw it.

The CTS-V is one of my dream cars. I love the looks of that thing and who wouldn't want a 4 door Corvette? Its certainly more practical as a DD than a c4/c5.

That Volvo would be bad ass but 125k miles could be scary.

I looked at some Mini Cooper S's and Mazdaspeed 3's but im just not sold.

To re-cap:

Something fun, RWD or AWD (I guess I don't associate most FWD cars as fun?), 4 doors, Practical as a DD, around 12k, Manual.

I just bought this 99 Jimmy with 65k miles on it last year for 6,800. I have had nothing but problems with this thing... Every month its something different. I am tired of being under the hood of a car that needs to get me to work and back. Currently, It has a blown head gasket, the water pump died but the car didn't even get that hot. I never saw the check gauges light come on... So I just dropped 300 for a new water pump. Head gasket is going to be around 700. At this point i just want to drive it off a cliff and take the loss.

I miss driving a 5 speed dearly and the jimmy is just a brick with wheels. The sedan market is lacking in a DECENT, well priced, fun to drive car.

Sorry for the ramblings... Kinda frustrated and tired. Thanks for all the input guys. Def taking it all in.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=279273044&dealer_id=100028580&car_year=2004&rdm=1273473449107&lastStartYear=1981&model=IMPWRX&num_records=25&systime=&make3=AUDI&make2=VOLVO&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2000&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&model3=&model2=S_MODELSCLASS_SERIES&search_lang=en&sownerid=69348&showZipError=n&make=SUB&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=&drive=All%20wheel%20drive&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=44221&advanced=y&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=14000&cardist=25&standard=false - Kinda high mileage but the color is spot on

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=276497821&dealer_id=55051705&car_year=2005&rdm=1273473449107&lastStartYear=1981&model=IMPWRX&num_records=25&systime=&make3=AUDI&make2=VOLVO&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2000&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&model3=&model2=S_MODELSCLASS_SERIES&search_lang=en&sownerid=69348&showZipError=n&make=SUB&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=&drive=All%20wheel%20drive&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=44221&advanced=y&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=14000&cardist=18&standard=false - Just for shits and giggles.... I like it ;)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=268319762&dealer_id=64581827&car_year=2000&rdm=1273473449107&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&model=IMPWRX&make3=AUDI&systime=&make2=VOLVO&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2000&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&model3=&model2=S_MODELSCLASS_SERIES&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&sownerid=69348&first_record=26&make=SUB&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=&drive=All%20wheel%20drive&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=44221&advanced=y&end_year=2011&pager.offset=25&transmission=Manual&doors=&max_price=14000&cardist=110&standard=false - drool

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=277538574&dealer_id=103514&car_year=2005&rdm=1273473449107&lastStartYear=1981&model=IMPWRX&num_records=25&systime=&make3=AUDI&make2=VOLVO&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2000&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&model3=&model2=S_MODELSCLASS_SERIES&search_lang=en&sownerid=69348&showZipError=n&first_record=51&make=SUB&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=&drive=All%20wheel%20drive&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=44221&advanced=y&end_year=2011&pager.offset=50&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=14000&cardist=37&standard=false - interesting....

I honestly have yet to find a WRX, in my price range that I like. Im scared of the high mileage on the subby, dunno why.

- There are 4 door models of the Infinity G35 and G37. I really like them.

- The WRX and Legacy GT fit your stipulations, but i think the WRX might be a bit small for a guy saying he wants 4 doors.

- One that i personally love: Mazdaspeed 6. I like it alot better than the 3. its heavier, but also more powerful.

- Also i'd say you could consider an evo (probably an 8 for that price). But i'd group that in with the WRX as most likely being too small for your taste.

- So my list for you ranked in order of how much i feel they meet your criteria:

Mazdaspeed 6

Infiniti G35 sedan

Infiniti G37 sedan

Subaru Legacy GT

Mazdaspeed 3

Subaru WRX

Evo 8

I honestly have yet to find a WRX, in my price range that I like. Im scared of the high mileage on the subby, dunno why.

I would be to if I wasn't a tech.

They have huge labor intensive problems and parts are cheap...ish.

Ive seen it mentioned once, but my vote would be the evo, right around your price range, awd, 5spd, 4 doors, good mileage, good power, and they look sexy as hell. And from the couple people i know with them in the snow they rock.