Gentlemen...any help here?

fueljunkie1

I've met a few of you and I have been impressed with the caliber of people herein-so now I'm asking for a little help.

Neighbor's kid has an 01 GSXR1000 he wanted to install an "undertail" kit on. His friend agreed to help and chopped the wiring. GREAT!

Anyone got info on an undertail kit for this bike that has four wires...red, black, purple, yellow? those are the wires on the kit...

Good kid, going overseas soon, and I wanna help him out.

Semper Fidelis

The 2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000 K2 wiring diagram shows 7 wires from the bike to the rear. But it's probably 3 of them on a common ground, so it's 5. That's still a problem... I would guess they left out the chassis grounding wire. So the four wires are tail light, brake, left signal and right signal. A little experimenting with some wires and a battery should tell which one is which, and whether an extra ground wire is needed. More experimenting will be needed to tell which wire is which on the bike.

http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/2002_suzuki_motorcycle_and_atv_wiring_diagrarms1.jpeg

Thats what I was worring about though, experimenting with a .5 volt circuit can wound a computer. I was hoping somebody could hook me up with a schematic of the ass end wiring.

Click on the http://www.gofastvideo.com/video/389/Suzuki-2001-GSXR-1000-Service-Manual link and download the manual. PDF version. It will have the schematic in it;)

volts dont matter, its the current that will get you!

use a voltmeter and start flipping switches. probably the easiest way to figure it out.

+1 Exactly what I was going to say...

Get a good Fluke meter and someone who knows what the funny squiggles on it means. They can set you straight, only 4 wires to buzz out so it can't be anything too complicated. Couple minutes, including beer drinking time.

If you live near Dublin, I could easily be convinced to help since I am an electrical engineering tech and have lots of free time at the moment...

Anyone got info on an undertail kit for this bike that has four wires...red, black, purple, yellow? those are the wires on the kit...

I've never seen one of these but if I had to take an educated guess (I'm an electronic tech) I'd say...

BLK = -12v / ground

RED = +12v brake light

PURPLE = +12v turn signal (left or right)

YELLOW = +12v turn signal (left or right)

This turned out a WHOLE lot nastier than I expected when I removed the back cover...this kid has turned the rear wiring into a rats nest. I have everything working but the brake light now-can't find the other end that he cut off. My eyesight sucks lumps these days so I'm having a hard time reading the schematic, but it looks like maybe the brown is the brake circuit but I'm getting no power out of it. I assume there's a lighting module on this thing, and it's got a neon kit chewed into it to boot, so I'm wondering if he smoked said module.