College Football - 2010

Dr. Pomade

LOL - I would love for USC to do that. This is such a stupid move on the NCAA's part. I'm trying to make sense of it, and can't. Didn't they know what kind of backlash this would cause? I'm dumbfounded. Maybe at some point in the near future the NCAA will clarify or something.

Here's a good read, an article on the stupidity of the decision:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=Al20x6GSbgpe_u4HmJmV7e4cvrYF?slug=dw-newtonturn120110

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that Michigan is definitely a destination job (one of only, say, about seven or so in college football, IMHO) and it might be Harbaugh's dream job. That being said, Harbaugh might have reservations of leaving Stanford for Michigan, considering what he has now, his expectations now, and what he will inherit, and what his expectations will be.

Think about it, he's at Stanford - clearly NOT a football school. It values academics way before it values football wins. I'd think the head honchos at Stanford would expect the football team to compete, but not to be dominant. Put together a few winning seasons, maybe contend for a Pac 10 title once in a blue moon, and call it a day. With how Harbaugh has them going now, he's likely revered as a demi-god. Let them win a Pac 10 title, and they'll promote him to god status.

Also, at Stanford, he's in an absolutely beautiful part of the country. There's all kinds of money out there, the campus is amazing, it's essentially an Ivy League school on the West Coast, the scenery is amazing, etc.

Now, think about Michigan, where the expectation is compete for a national championship every year. Yes, you have all this great tradition that you don't have at Stanford, but you also don't have all those great (and perhaps unrealistic) expectations. Also, it's in Ann Arbor, which is a nice place (from what I hear), but the weather pretty much sucks several months out of the year.

So, if it's me, I don't necessarily leap at the opportunity to go to Michigan if I'm Harbaugh. BTW, this isn't a diss at all on Michigan (as I realize they're your team, Ben). Just kind of adding my thoughts on the whole coaching situation between Stanford and Michigan.

It's cool I understand, I just don't think Dick Rod should get another chance. Jimmy T. had it easy inheriting a lot of talent from Cooper his first year. When Dick came in everyone transfered out, now if Jim comes in, I think many leave again. Michigan might be back to 2008. Appalachian State anyone? Holla!

It's cool I understand, I just don't think Dick Rod should get another chance. Jimmy T. had it easy inheriting a lot of talent from Cooper his first year. When Dick came in everyone transfered out, now if Jim comes in, I think many leave again. Michigan might be back to 2008. Appalachian State anyone? Holla!

All that talent Cooper had led him to lose to Michigan 8 times in 11 tries, IIRC. And tie once.

Also, Tressel's first year, Michigan was heavily favored to win, and tOSU pulled the upset. Up in Ann Arbor no less, where tOSU hadn't won since, when, the 1980s?

No, Tressel hasn't had it easy, though he's made it look easy.

OSU won uneventfully in '98 (after the devastating MSU loss of course), also won in '94 and tied in '92. Those were the only non-losses for Cooper.

I am a little more cautious to say Harbaugh would be a slam dunk hire. A coach I was discussing earlier today reminded me of him... Greg Schiano. He had Rutgers flying high for 2-3 seasons and where are they now? They disappeared like the rest of the Big East. Schiano should have gotten out after he lost guys like Teel and Rice. Much like Harbaugh should probably get out once Luck is gone to go along with Gerhardt being gone from last season. But given Harbaugh's pedigree he could very well be a great hire. Just being reminded of Schiano and how much of a hot commodity he was 3-4 years ago made me start to reconsider it being a sure thing though.

OSU won uneventfully in '98 (after the devastating MSU loss of course), also won in '94 and tied in '92. Those were the only non-losses for Cooper.

Just some things that come to mind:

1. The '98 team was the most talented tOSU team I have ever seen. No, I didn't "see" any of the teams from the 1950s, 1960s, or 1970s.

2. The '98 team would have straight fucking smoked Tennessee or Florida State - the two teams that played in the first BCS championship game.

3. Plaxico Burress dressed in Michigan State green and white still haunts my memories sometimes.

4. Remember when Gee proclaimed the '92 tie was the "greatest victory" for tOSU ever? WTF?

5. I saw Cooper at the Best Buy in the Tuttle Area about three weeks ago. I introduced myself to him and thanked him for his time at tOSU. He seemed appreciative of that. He looked...old. Like way older than what I thought he should look. Like maybe he isn't doing so well health-wise?

Maybe the NCAA is trying to suck up to Auburn for screwing them in 03 (I believe thats the year they were left out of the NCG). It wont matter after saturday once South Carolina knocks them off :)

Yeah, that was before the SEC was regarded as THE BEST CONFERENCE IN THE UNIVERSE. Can you imagine an undefeated SEC team NOT playing for the national championship now? Fuck, I'm pretty sure the media thinks an undefeated SEC team can:

1. Beat the New England Patriots

2. Win the World Cup

3. Cure cancer

4. Erase the national deficit

Yeah becasue the "t" is actually part of the universities name lol. Btw Bravo I agree, the love fest with the SEC is absolutely insane. Experts even in the NFL are like "they drafted that SEC talent", umm if your playing D1 football, odds are your talented regardless of where your playing. I also find it funny how southern kids become so much slower in the eyes of those same experts, as soon as they cross the mason-dixon line.

Jamal Berry went from a 5 star recruit on one of the recruiting sites, to a 4 star, the very same day that he committed to tOSU. There is definitley a bias and hatred involved in NCAA football. Part of the problem, if not the biggest problem is, ESPN and CBS both have contracts with the SEC.

When you type "tOSU" is that "t" mean "the" in "The Ohio State University"?

Yup. I do it out of habit, as I'm used to reading some of the national college football message boards (e.g., Rivals), so it's often necessary to use identifiers in the acronyms so as to be clear.

For instance:

OSU could = Ohio State, Oregon State, Oklahoma State

USC could = Southern California, South Carolina

Ohio State is usually abbreviated tOSU on the boards. The Ohio State elitists sometimes capitalize the t for TOSU.

People who don't like Ohio State, or who don't like the use of the "t," will use OSUmw to refer to Ohio State, with the mw = midwest. Doesn't make sense to me, since Oklahoma State is more "midwest" than Ohio State, IMO.

USCw = Southern California and USCe = South Carolina

People who don't like South Carolina will often use USCjr to refer to them.

Yeah becasue the "t" is actually part of the universities name lol. Btw Bravo I agree, the love fest with the SEC is absolutely insane. Experts even in the NFL are like "they drafted that SEC talent", umm if your playing D1 football, odds are your talented regardless of where your playing. I also find it funny how southern kids become so much slower in the eyes of those same experts, as soon as they cross the mason-dixon line.

Jamal Berry went from a 5 star recruit on one of the recruiting sites, to a 4 star, the very same day that he committed to tOSU. There is definitley a bias and hatred involved in NCAA football. Part of the problem, if not the biggest problem is, ESPN and CBS both have contracts with the SEC.

Agreed completely. And, odd how the Big Ten and Ohio State are soooo slooooow yet NFL rosters are littered with Big Ten and Ohio State players in skill/speed positions - receiver, running back, cornerbacks, safeties, etc. I guess they magically become fast once they graduate from Ohio State?

And, yeah, CBS and ESPN both hype the fuck out of the SEC. Fuck, I'm fairly sure Lundquist and Danielson give at least four on-air SEC blowjobs per telecasted game. It's nauseating to watch the SEC on CBS just because of them.

And what's funny is that people actually think the media is biased TOWARD Ohio State. LOL

Do you post on Rivals/subscribe to the OSU site there? I have for the last few years but am canceling when this subscription is up since they lost their basketball guy to Scout who already has all the best OSU football stuff.

And people who don't like Ohio State refer to us as O$U...lol. I've never seen OSUmw on Rivals personally.

Do you post on Rivals/subscribe to the OSU site there? I have for the last few years but am canceling when this subscription is up since they lost their basketball guy to Scout who already has all the best OSU football stuff.

And people who don't like Ohio State refer to us as O$U...lol. I've never seen OSUmw on Rivals personally.

Ha, yeah, forgot about the O$U. That one is actually pretty good.

No, I don't post, I just troll. I don't even have a membership, so I can't see the OSU site. I've seriously considered getting a membership, but forever reason I don't go through with it. I think it's because I know that if I get a membership then I'll be able to post and then all I'll end up doing it arguing with idiots nonstop.

Do you post on the main Rivals board? If so, then I've probably seen you post. :cool:

We created this SEC hype. Think about it... the way Florida beat us in the 2006 title game is the sole reason the SEC is thought of now as it is. Did anyone watch SEC football this season? They are TERRIBLE. The teams with the most talent (Florida, LSU and Alabama) won't even be in BCS bowls. South Carolina is probably the most complete team in the conference and they have 2 great skill players in Jeffery and Lattimore but that's it. There are no insane defenses in that conference this season like you normally see and a kid who will probably eventually be ruled ineligible ran all over everyone. This was absolutely the year to steal a national title (or, in Auburn's case, buy one) and we blew it with one bad quarter of play.

We created this SEC hype. Think about it... the way Florida beat us in the 2006 title game is the sole reason the SEC is thought of now as it is. Did anyone watch SEC football this season? They are TERRIBLE. The teams with the most talent (Florida, LSU and Alabama) won't even be in BCS bowls. South Carolina is probably the most complete team in the conference and they have 2 great skill players in Jeffery and Lattimore but that's it. There are no insane defenses in that conference this season like you normally see and a kid who will probably eventually be ruled ineligible ran all over everyone. This was absolutely the year to steal a national title (or, in Auburn's case, buy one) and we blew it with one bad quarter of play.

Agreed that SEC is awful. Also, I agree with an earlier post - I think sCAR beats Auburn. Auburn really isn't that good. Hell, I watched Kentucky almost beat them. KENTUCKY.

Also agreed this was the year to win a NC and we pissed it away with a bad quarter of play. I'm actually hoping that if Auburn wins they get absolutely manhandled by Oregon (or TCU, that'd be even better, should Oregon stumble to Oregon State) in the NCG. I want an SEC team to be humiliated in the title game the way tOSU was in 2006.

BTW, I was actually at the 2006 NCG. Yes, I got to witness firsthand the carnage. I still have nightmares. *shudder*

Ha, yeah, forgot about the O$U. That one is actually pretty good.

No, I don't post, I just troll. I don't even have a membership, so I can't see the OSU site. I've seriously considered getting a membership, but forever reason I don't go through with it. I think it's because I know that if I get a membership then I'll be able to post and then all I'll end up doing it arguing with idiots nonstop.

Do you post on the main Rivals board? If so, then I've probably seen you post. :cool:

I post on Rivals but on the pay boards with this same user name. I have over 9,000 posts there in about 4 years...lol. You're right about arguing with idiots though. Rivals has the worst Ohio State coverage of any OSU site out there now (Scout, which already had the best OSU football coverage for both regular team stuff and recruiting, stole Rivals' basketball guy a couple weeks ago) and I'll actually be canceling in a few months when my subscription is up. The only OSU fans left on Rivals (and OSU fans in general are pretty awful) are the worst of the worst. Absolute psychos who want to fire any coach whose name they can remember after every single game, win or lose. It's great entertainment but there's zero info anymore so they've got to go.

Okay, BCS matchups are official:

Championship game: Oregon v. Auburn

Rose: Wisconsin v. TCU

Fiesta: Oklahoma v. UConn

Orange: Stanford v. Virginia Tech

Sugar: Ohio State v. Arkansas

Some quick thoughts:

- I hope Oregon absolutely annhilates Auburn. I want an SEC team embarrassed in the biggest game of the year. I am the biggest Oregon fan right now. And, BTW, the Oregon fans were about fucking obnoxious last year with all their shit they talked about Oregon being unstoppable and that they'd hang 50 points + on Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. I'm totally forgetting all that and getting behind them 100%. Fuck the SEC.

- Dream scenario: Oregon throttles Auburn in title game. Soon after, Cammy Cam Cam is declared ineligible because he and his daddy are cheaters. Auburn then has to forfeit the entire fucking season.

- Can the Fiesta Bowl be any more terrible in terms of matchup? Fucking snooze. However, before I completely nod off, I want to point out that UConn vs. Oklahoma seems a lot like Boise vs. Oklahoma in 2006. Poor Oklahoma - they keep getting draws against these teams (Boise, WVU, and now UConn) where they are expected to win easily.

- Im not sure whether I should be scared or not of Arkansas. My first reaction is that I'm not really all that scared. Then again, the last time we played a pro-style offense (which is what I think Arkansas runs), that was against USC, and we got beat both times. (Though we shouldn't have gotten beat against them the second time.) What should I be thinking here? Arkansas clearly played a tougher schedule, but even if Ohio State played in the FBS they'd still be a really talented team. I'm fairly sure Arkansas hasn't faced a defense as good as Ohio State's. Also, from what I'm reading nationally, all the fans from Arkansas are acting like Oregon's fans did last year about this time: Ohio State has no chance, blah blah blah.

I hope Oregon absolutely annhilates Auburn. I want an SEC team embarrassed in the biggest game of the year. I am the biggest Oregon fan right now. And, BTW, the Oregon fans were about fucking obnoxious last year with all their shit they talked about Oregon being unstoppable and that they'd hang 50 points + on Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. I'm totally forgetting all that and getting behind them 100%. Fuck the SEC.

As much as I agree with you on hating on the SEC, I have to say Auburn will blow Oregon out of the water. Prediction 42 to 17.

If you take away all the bias circling Cam Newton and just watch him play, the guy is a stud. Auburn would not be where they are at with out him and Terrell Pryor wishes he was Cam Newton.

Can the Fiesta Bowl be any more terrible in terms of matchup? Fucking snooze. However, before I completely nod off, I want to point out that UConn vs. Oklahoma seems a lot like Boise vs. Oklahoma in 2006. Poor Oklahoma - they keep getting draws against these teams (Boise, WVU, and now UConn) where they are expected to win easily.

This game is a sad joke and shows the problem with the automatic bids by the BCS. Conn has no bussiness being here and a rule should be implimented that you alteast have to be ranked in the top 15 to aleast make it into one the BSC games. Oklahoma should walk threw this game and everyone knows it.

Im not sure whether I should be scared or not of Arkansas. My first reaction is that I'm not really all that scared. Then again, the last time we played a pro-style offense (which is what I think Arkansas runs), that was against USC, and we got beat both times. (Though we shouldn't have gotten beat against them the second time.) What should I be thinking here? Arkansas clearly played a tougher schedule, but even if Ohio State played in the FBS they'd still be a really talented team. I'm fairly sure Arkansas hasn't faced a defense as good as Ohio State's. Also, from what I'm reading nationally, all the fans from Arkansas are acting like Oregon's fans did last year about this time: Ohio State has no chance, blah blah blah.

Be very scared, this should be one of the best BCS games. Ryan Mallet should ring a bell as he was recruited by Loyd Carr and left once Dick Rod took over Michigan. Mallet is a quality passer and should find a home in the NFL one day. The key to this game is who makes less mistakes and if Terrells passing game decides to stay home this game we are screwed!

I really feel sorry Michigan State having to face Alabama. Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas are very good teams.

I do hope to see Wisconsin put 70 on TCU