College Football - 2010

Dr. Pomade

Found this on yahoo

6. Scholarships aren't guaranteed.

If your teen receives a sports scholarship, don't assume that it's going to be for four years. Athletic scholarships must be renewed each year and that's at the coach's discretion. The pressure to maintain athletic scholarships can distract stressed students from what should be their main goal—earning a college degree.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tressel will not take a scholly away from Archies kid /debate Also there is a procedure they have to go through in order to take the kids scholarship away, tOSU just took away Nic Dilillos scholly this year due to him gaining about 30-40lbs and being out of shape to the point it became a medical concern. Its not as easy as you might think to take it away, I mean hell look at how hard it is for a kid to transfer to another school, the current school he is at must grant him a release from him scholarship before he can leave.

tOSU is loaded at LB that is for sure, the lineup next year should be Sweat/Sabino, Klein, Bell, plus they still have Durahm and Jordan Whitting. The issue next year will be secondary as they will be losing 3 starters and possibly 4 unless Moeller gets an extra year due to medical issues.

They will need to replace Chekwa, Hines, Torrence..hopefully the secondary recruits they have signed can replace those guys, if not it might be a long year next year.

But enough with that talk, lets focus on this year. I am excited to see how the offense does. I dont know if it will be the same caliber as the Smith/Ginn/Gonzo era, but it should be pretty decent.

Tressel will not take a scholly away from Archies kid /debate Also there is a procedure they have to go through in order to take the kids scholarship away, tOSU just took away Nic Dilillos scholly this year due to him gaining about 30-40lbs and being out of shape to the point it became a medical concern. Its not as easy as you might think to take it away, I mean hell look at how hard it is for a kid to transfer to another school, the current school he is at must grant him a release from him scholarship before he can leave.

It's not hard at all. They have to grant a release on a transfer because they have already renewed the scholarship. Will they renew archie's kid? Probably. But there isn't any process to "take one away" they simply say "we aren't renewing your scholarship this year, you can either transfer or pay your own way"

You don't think the logistics of Griffin's offer/scholarship were discussed prior to it being given? There's probably a reason people keep talking about scholarships being year-to-year with regards to Griffin. And DiLillo is still on scholarship. He's got something personal going on right now so OSU is being delicate. They're not kicking him out the door, but they're definitely holding it open by doing things like not inviting him to fall camp.

And Durham will be good for us down the line but not at LB. He's a LEO, think he was moved there within the first week or so of camp after a little work at LB just to make sure. We still have a shot at a couple true LB's in the 2011 class with Ejuan Price out of PA and the kid from Texas who just got an offer this past week.

As far as the secondary is concerned, I like the kids that should be filling in next year. Chekwa and Torrence may very well have truly special seasons this year but I like what I've read about kids like Travis Howard and Corey "Black."

I think if Price was going to commit it would've already happened. He's been up here twice now I beleive and has yet to pull the trigger. Offering the kid in Texas to me seems like a desperation move and most likely they wont land that kid. I say save the schollies for next year

Oh and there is stipulations as to why a scholly can be taken away

1. Renders himself or herself ineligible for intercollegiate competition;

2. Misrepresents any information on an application, letter of intent or financial aid agreement;

3. Commits serious misconduct, which warrants a substantial disciplinary penalty (the misconduct determination must be made by the university's regular student disciplinary authority); or

4.Voluntarily quits the sport for personal reasons. In this case, the student-athlete's financial aid may not be given to another student-athlete during the term in which the aid was reduced or canceled.

Therefore its not as easy as your making it out to be. That is a wasted scholly that Griffin has. Should've saved it for next year

I don't know where you're getting your stuff, I think that may be the stipulations for revoking a scholarship after a certain point (such as during an athlete's season - like Marcus Hall right now, taken off scholarship until he gets his academics in order) but the scholarships have to be renewed every year. It's not automatic.

And the Texas kid contacted OSU. They didn't go out and find him, he came to us, sent film and was offered. We immediately jumped into his top 3 along with Miami and Oklahoma. Oklahoma looks like the favorite but, like I said, he came to us and he'll be here for an official visit at some point.

Not sure what to think with Price. He's friends or cousins or something with Dorian Bell but there seems to be some kind of disconnect. As you pointed out, he's been here several times but kinda backed off his plan to commit before his season started so who knows what's going on there.

Yeah, that is the case... those stipulations go into effect after July 1st. Coaches must decide whether or not to renew a student-athlete's scholarship before that date. Any time after that it has to be for one of the 4 reasons you mentioned.

Per bylaw 15.02.7, all grants-in-aid are awarded for a period of one academic year. The rules for reduction or cancellation of aid are written down, and there is no such thing as an unwritten rule you can be penalized for breaking. Per bylaw 15.3.5.1, a coach may choose on an annual basis to not renew a scholarship for any reason including athletics ability. This is true regardless of how many years a student-athlete has been at an institution. The student-athlete must be notified in writing prior to July 1 of the applicable year of the renewal or non-renewal. If a scholarship is renewed for the pending academic year and that scholarship is signed by the student-athlete, then, per bylaw 15.3.4.2, a coach may only cancel or reduce that scholarship if: a) an athlete renders himself or herself ineligible; b) an athlete fraudulently misrepresents any information on an application, letter of intent or financial aid agreement; c) engages in serious misconduct; or d) voluntarily withdraws from the sport. Once the scholarship offer has been signed, it may not be cancelled based on athletics ability during the period of the scholarship award.

I think if Price was going to commit it would've already happened. He's been up here twice now I beleive and has yet to pull the trigger. Offering the kid in Texas to me seems like a desperation move and most likely they wont land that kid. I say save the schollies for next year

Oh and there is stipulations as to why a scholly can be taken away

1. Renders himself or herself ineligible for intercollegiate competition;

2. Misrepresents any information on an application, letter of intent or financial aid agreement;

3. Commits serious misconduct, which warrants a substantial disciplinary penalty (the misconduct determination must be made by the university's regular student disciplinary authority); or

4.Voluntarily quits the sport for personal reasons. In this case, the student-athlete's financial aid may not be given to another student-athlete during the term in which the aid was reduced or canceled.

Therefore its not as easy as your making it out to be. That is a wasted scholly that Griffin has. Should've saved it for next year

You are confusing canceling a current contract and not renewing an expiring contract.

Supposedly there's going to be a special thing on the BTN tonight and they're going to announce the conference divisions. I've only been a die hard since 2002 (started watching because of MoC) so I don't have the insane attachment to The Game being at the end of the season like a lot of other people. The thing where cross-division games wouldn't count for or against your record for determining a spot in the conference title game is awful though.

Supposedly there's going to be a special thing on the BTN tonight and they're going to announce the conference divisions. I've only been a die hard since 2002 (started watching because of MoC) so I don't have the insane attachment to The Game being at the end of the season like a lot of other people. The thing where cross-division games wouldn't count for or against your record for determining a spot in the conference title game is awful though.

have been a die hard buckeye fan for as long as I can remember so moving the game does have some attatchment to me. Its just not college football without the OSU vs Michigan game at the end of the b10 regular season. If your going to split the b10 up do it properly by putting PSU, tOSU and Michigan all in the East. Having Michigan and Penn St in the West makes absolutely no fucking sense, especially since PSU is the most eastern team in the damn conference. Iowa/Wisky/Nebraska can hold their own against Michigan/tOSU/Penn St in my opinion

Did anyone else see the throw back uniforms tOSU are wearing this year for the Michigan game? If not they are fucking terrible, they are wearing red helmets instead of silver for starters, no buckeye leaves and over all awful looking. Heres a link for ya:

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/downloads2/388097.jpg?ATCLID=204986162&SPSID=87743&SPID=10408&DB_OEM_ID=17300

Oh and they announced who the return men were going to be:

Kickoffs: Jamaal Berry/Jordan Hall

Punts: Jordan Hall/Corey "Philly" Brown

Well its pretty official, big 10 sucks dick

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that the two divisions in the Big Ten will look like:

• Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

• And Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

they are set to announce this officially tonight at 7pm on b10 network, there is rumors that OSU Michigan will play every year, they just dont know if its going to be last game of the year or not

Did anyone else see the throw back uniforms tOSU are wearing this year for the Michigan game? If not they are fucking terrible, they are wearing red helmets instead of silver for starters, no buckeye leaves and over all awful looking. Heres a link for ya:

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/downloads2/388097.jpg?ATCLID=204986162&SPSID=87743&SPID=10408&DB_OEM_ID=17300

They aren't 'throwbacks" they are pro combat uniforms designed to honor the 1942 team that had a lot of players go to WWII. That's why the undershirt is camo and the american flag on the arm. Other than that, they actually are REALLY close to the uniform from that era

http://www.buckeyecommentary.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/osuuniforms.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/218/219/bill-willis_display_image.jpg?1273506040

Not really lighting it up are they?

Understatement. They didn't break 100 yards of offense until the 4th quarter.

Miami was 1-11 last year.

Neither team has over 200 yards offense. BAD

:rolleyes:

Defense will be solid, offense was just sloppy today (especially their center, learn how to fucking snap dude). UF wins 10 games no problem, truestory.com

Sloppy?! LOL

Get.fucking.real

UF scored on a pick 6

an INT that was returned to the 10

another score off a failed 4th down fake punt at the 20

and a 72 yard run by Jeff Demps

OFFENSIVE JUGGERNAUT, F YEAH!

Brantley is BAD. BAD, let's say that one more time, BAD

Outside the two long runs from the Gators, Miami held Florida to 9 yards on 29 carries. #4? Me thinks not.

and 140 yards total offense (minus the run)

BAD

Miami had one of the worst offenses in the country last year, and they had the same amount of yards as UF... BAD