454 SS Silverado, anyone remember these?

AWW$HEEET

Post specs!

Taken from Wikipedia

In 1990, Chevrolet introduced a high performance variant of the GMT400 under the Super Sport emblem called the 454SS. It was available only as a 2WD half-ton regular cab short box in Onyx Black. The 454SS was powered by a 454 cu in (7.4 L) V8 producing 230 hp (172 kW) and 385 lb·ft (522 N·m).[9] A 3-speed automatic transmission (Turbo Hydra-Matic 400) and 3.73 rear axle ratio added to the truck's performance. The suspension was also upgraded with 32 mm (1.3 in) Bilstein gas-filled shock absorbers, a 32 mm (1.3 in) front stabilizer bar, and 12.7:1 fast-ratio steering gear assembly.

Unique exterior features included a front air dam with fog lights, special rims, decals displaying "454SS" on the bed sides, red trim emblems, and black painted grille, bumpers, and mirrors. The interior was also unique with a special plush Garnet Red cloth with black trim, high-back reclining sport bucket seats, and center console.

For 1991 a four-speed electronic automatic transmission (known as the 4L80E) was added to the 454SS, 25 more horsepower, and even higher torque: 405 lbs/ft at 2400 rpm. The rear-axle ratio was also lowered to 4.10:1 for extra jolt off the line. On the dash was a tachometer, oddly omitted from 1990 models.

The 1990 Chevrolet 454SS is a high performance full size pickup that mated the C1500 standard two wheel drive cab with an absolutely killer 454ci 7.4 liter, eight cylinder engine(V-8), the 3 speed automatic transmission and a 3.73 rear axle ratio helped thrust the 454 beast under the hood, the engine produced a maximum of 230hp, 385 foot pounds of torque, All this power was pushed out to Goodyear tires on Special 454SS rims. The interior comes equipped with a special plush Garnet Red cloth interior and high-back reclining sport bucket seats with a Center Console.

Only available in Onyx Black.

I love these trucks, there's a very special place in my heart for these. I actually learned to drive in a 90 ss454, had true duals with some flowmaster 40s on it, shift kit in the th400. Was a very fun truck, I've actualy been looking at picking one up, once i get a little extra money. I still know these trucks pretty well, i love them!

Although the V-8 produced only 230 horsepower, its strong suit was torque: 385 lbs/ft of it at a mere 1600 rpm -- the kind of grinding force that resulted in 0-60 mph in under eight seconds...lol

true dual exhaust, helped those number quite a bit.

All this and 8 miles a gallon!

lol 8mpg if you keep your foot in it, we always got 12 with ours, best we ever saw was 14mpg driving up to norwalk.

Video of ours before we sold it.

I still remember reading a magazine article about them back in the early 90's (Motor Trend?), the article featured the black 454SS and another one with a wild paint job, I believe it was a pace truck for the Indy 500 or something. I always loved them, and like mentioned above I bet they make great power with heads, cam, full exhaust.

We had a 1 ton dually with the same engine.

yep, exact engine and transmission, then they used a 3/4 ton rear end with 5 lugs on it instead of six.

i liked when they had one on Trucks against the old Lightning..

seems like they have always had the most butt ugly burgundy interior lol... only color ive seen

for 92 and 93 these trucks could be had with blue, garnet red or grey interiors instead of just garnet red. Exterior could also be had in red or white, instead of just the onyx black offereds the years before.

yep, exact engine and transmission, then they used a 3/4 ton rear end with 5 lugs on it instead of six.

for 92 and 93 these trucks could be had with blue, garnet red or grey interiors instead of just garnet red. Exterior could also be had in red or white, instead of just the onyx black offereds the years before.

our truck was a Western Hauler though, so it came with true duals with a side exit and some kinda different intake. Apparently the Western Hauler with the 454 was the most powerful gas 1-ton of it's time.

3 speed FTL

90 was the only year with the th400. After that year they changed to a 4L80E, but it still managed the same gas mileage, cause they changed the gearing from 3.73s to 4.10s.

Sounds like 91+ is the truck to have.

Did they make a manual? They did a "sport" with a 350 and a 5speed right?

Never had a manual available in the SS trucks.

i know i've seen sport trucks that were autos, but iirc the 5-speed was an option in the sport trucks.

A 230 HP 454 and 3 Speed? Ahahahaha... no wonder you never hear about them. Talk about the epitome of american retardation of the "cubic inches" variety....

the amount of torque the produced was pretty crazy though. Sure it only had 230 ponies, but the torque was enough to make it super fun.

Lightning<454SS

Fixed. Lightning was still a ford f1shitty. SS even with just a leveling kit for the rear looked amazing. And as always... theres no replacement for displacement.