Visual Confirmation of Speed enough for conviction.

Brrcats

Say whaaaa

:eek:

http://www.wlwt.com/news/23767184/detail.html

COLUMBUS --

Ohio's highest court has ruled that a person may be convicted of speeding purely if it looked to a police officer that the motorist was going too fast.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that an officer's visual estimation of speed is enough to support a conviction if the officer is trained, certified by a training academy, and experienced in watching for speeders.

The court's 5-1 decision said independent verification of a driver's speed is not necessary.

The court upheld a lower court's ruling against a driver who challenged a speeding conviction that had been based on testimony from a police officer in Copley, 25 miles south of Cleveland, in 2008.

The officer said it appeared to him that the man was driving too fast, and his radar confirmed it. But when the officer could not produce evidence of his certification in using radar, the court found the driver guilty anyway because the officer could show he was trained to estimate speeds to an accuracy of 3 to 4 mph.

The dissenting justice said that applying a broad standard to officers' observations should not override juries' instructions to determine the credibility of the officer and testimony in question.

Cincinnati's chief deputy prosecutor, Charles Rubenstein, told News 5's John London that police have used visual estimation of speeding around this part of Ohio for years.

London will have more on this story later today

and from the actual decision

A police officer's unaided visual esitmation of a vehicle's speed is sufficient evidence to support a conviction for speeding in violation of R.C.4511.21(D) without independent verification of the vehicle's speed if the officer is trained, certified, and experienced in visually estimating vehicle speed.

I cant think of something filled with so much bullshit

That's some police state bullshit right there. There are so many things that could make you "look" like you're speeding. What if you're passing another car that is going 10 mph under the speed limit? If your car is a bit loud it could give the perception that it is speeding.

Guest tbutera2112
That's some police state bullshit right there. There are so many things that could make you "look" like you're speeding. What if you're passing another car that is going 10 mph under the speed limit? If your car is a bit loud it could give the perception that it is speeding.

im sure this was skipped during the training course

theyve been doing this shit for years, its not like its something new.

I too was given Wreckless op and 75 in a 35 speeding violation years back from an officer that was over 100 yards away when he witnessed me.

Fought it in court and plead it down to 40 in a 35 and they dropped the wreckless.

Sounds like I shouldn't try my luck anymore.

Arent ticket costs based on how fast you are going?

:) iirc it is 0-9 is about $110 10-19 is $130 and 20+ is $150 plus anything else they charge you with like wreckless ops etc etc..

My guess is that the police guess on speed is gonna be high.

I guess there is no reason to ask to see the speed I was clocked at from now on because it dont mean shit.

Whats the point in spending money on radar/laser equipment if we can just train the police to visually catch speeders?

im sure this was skipped during the training course

theyve been doing this shit for years, its not like its something new.

Only before, you had a chance to fight it if they couldn't prove it.

Onto the topic at hand, I don't even fucking know where to start with this utter and complete bullshit in a bucket.

So... what can we do to protest the law.

Seriously. And a fucking facebook page has yet to change a law.

But it's a great way to spread awareness.

Getting a petition together, getting signatures, getting it put on the ballot, etc.

oh no... I have a zo6... it looks like it is going 100mph sitting still!

and can look like it went insane speeds into a ditch and kick sod on a roof, while only doing 25mph in a neighborhood! (hehehe, couldnt resist!)

reynoldsburg cops pulled me over in the RX7 one morning and said he had the car next to me paced at 40mph and i went around them, well i have no speedo in the car, just a gps.. he pulled me over, i showed him the max speed recorded in the gps was 38mph.. he got all shitty started checking all my lights, and ended up writing me a warning for a front plate. Bitches.