Dodge is the new Toyota

cinergi

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aowrjX5dLR6g

Chrysler Recalls Dodge, Jeep Vehicles for Pedal Flaw (Update3)

Share Business ExchangeTwitterFacebook| Email | Print | A A A

By Angela Greiling Keane

June 4 (Bloomberg) -- Chrysler Group LLC recalled almost 35,000 Dodge and Jeep vehicles for accelerator pedals that may become stuck, the company said today.

The pedals in Dodge Calibers and Jeep Compasses for the 2007 model year were made by CTS Corp., the Elkhart, Indiana- based company that supplied similar parts in Toyota Motor Co.’s cars. The recall covers 34,614 Calibers and 90 Compasses, with 73 percent in the U.S., Chrysler said in a statement.

“Under certain conditions the pedal may not immediately return to its idle position,” Chrysler spokesman Nick Cappa said in an e-mailed statement. “Some vehicles have been built with accelerator pedal pivot bushings that may dislodge, causing the pedal to slowly return under limited operating conditions.”

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said last month it was investigating Chrysler’s vehicles after five consumers reported pedals became stuck while driving. NHTSA said this week it is investigating Ford Motor Co. cars for pedals that may become stuck on floor mats. Toyota has ordered record recalls for pedals that were sticky or became trapped by mats, contributing to unintended acceleration.

Mitchell Walorski, CTS director of planning and investor relations, didn’t respond to a telephone call seeking comment. CTS fell 53 cents, or 4.9 percent, to $10.38 at 4:15 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading.

The recalled Chrysler vehicles have electronic throttle control technology, the company said in a June 3 letter to NHTSA. The software is intended to stop cars when both the accelerator and brake are applied. Chrysler is based in Auburn Hills, Michigan.

Chrysler said it isn’t aware of any accidents or injuries related to the pedal defect.

To contact the reporter on this story: Angela Greiling Keane in Washington at agreilingkea@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: June 4, 2010 16:29 EDT

Yes, I always noticed the same thing. I hate floormats, they are always in the way.

Side note -- did you get my email?

Yahoo email address?

I do need to write Toyota to let them know their Carollas are being used as suicide car bombs over here and they need to stop putting trunks in them. Toyota has a whole new market to advertise to. :lol:

It was bound to happen. The media made a big stink about Toyota, but you gotta realize that all of the car manufacturers are in bed with a common base of suppliers. Some ford vehicles also have pedals made by this supplier and had a brief stink about it.

I won't be surprised when other manufacturers have the same problem. Somehow I don't see that supplier 'testifying' in front of congress.....

its funny you never see problems like this in cars that still have a cable operated accelerator....

When I was 16 I had an 86 Monte Carlo SS and the gas pedal got stuck all the damn time. I'd have to kick it and hope it would pop loose.

...the audi 5000 had quite the reputation for 'unintended acceleration'...

Those were unsubstantiated reports with no proof. The 60 Minutes story that showed a run away Audi was a rigged vehicle with a device that made the pedal move on its own. Independent investigators concluded that the 6 people that sued Audi crashed their cars due to driver error, where their foot slipped off the brake and on to the gas. Even so, the 60 Minutes story almost destroyed Audi sales in the US.

Toyota is totally different. They have a large number of accidents attributed to the pedal problem, people who have been killed by it, and it's on millions of vehicles. They also knew about a problem and covered it up.

Chrysler is different yet. This recall is only for 36,000 vehicles during a small window of manufacturing, they have a throttle-cut when the brakes and the gas are applied at the same time (so you can always stop), and there are no accidents attributed to it.

they have a throttle-cut when the brakes and the gas are applied at the same time (so you can always stop), and there are no accidents attributed to it.

I actually tried that in my Jeep one day, and it kept pulling. Did I do it wrong?

...the audi 5000 had quite the reputation for 'unintended acceleration'...

Yes, that was because the pedals were intentionally left close together as they were in the european market (think heel-toe).

Giant clobberfooted americans would mash the gas and brake together or just the gas.

Yes, that was because the pedals were intentionally left close together as they were in the european market (think heel-toe).

Giant clobberfooted americans would mash the gas and brake together or just the gas.

Mercedes had complaints as well, and there were LOTS of complaints of the imported Fords (Capri and Fiesta) having the same issue.

Hemi GC

Then I'm not sure your car has the feature.

The Caliber/Compass/Patriot supposedly have it, and my guess was it was put there as protection for the CVT transmission. (You would be slipping the belt if you brake torqued it) It's just lucky it covers their liability in this situation as well.