5.3 Suburban Engine Questions....Again

spankis

So these issues all began in THIS thread, where I was trying to diagnose a mystery misfire and MAF/Vacuum issue on my parent's 2003 suburban. After my early diagnosis was inconclusive, more than a few people claimed it was the intake gasket, but replacing that didn't help either.

I gave up and my parents took it to Mcdorman Chevrolet near their home, where they ended up pulling the valve cover. They came to the conclusion that a lobe on the cam is apparently worn and their diagnosis reads that the "lifter/rocker is rough". From there my dad took it to a shop he's used for many years in Baltimore for a second opinion. That shop also concluded that the cam is likely bad, but that compression is good. Nobody has pulled a head off yet, so I'm not entirely sure how they are determining this with much certainty? Are they measuring valve lift I assume?

Right now the truck is my mom's daily driver, and it is the only tow vehicle for my parents camper. Although my Dad would like a Diesel he's not in a position to buy one right now.

What is the next step? First get a better diagnosis? Rebuild current motor or drop a new one in it? If the cam is wiped do you put a cam and lifters in it and call it a day? What is reasonable in this situation? Should I be skeptical of it having a wiped cam?

The truck has 155kish miles on it, but is VERY clean and is otherwise mechanically perfect.... Any internal work on it is beyond my comfort level, so I'm just trying to offer my dad good advice.

Throw some CTS-V lifters and LS6 cam in it and call it a day.

Also, if this is a serious suggestion, isn't that more of a top-end horsepower cam? The truck is used for towing at nearly 90% of its rated capacity, so low-end torque would be the goal if the cam is changed.

Also, if this is a serious suggestion, isn't that more of a top-end horsepower cam? The truck is used for towing at nearly 90% of its rated capacity, so low-end torque would be the goal if the cam is changed.

you will probably make more tq and more horsepower with the ls6 cam.

And if there is mteal shavings anywhere drain the oil look at it and see if there is any in the oil then pull the pan and see if the mag has shavings on it.

Or just buy a new ls motor to swap into it

Keep opinions/ideas coming here. Does the 6.0L drop into a 5.3 truck fine? Require a tune/bellhousing/etc.?

Options on interchangeability that would be well suited for towing would be appreciated.

Keep opinions/ideas coming here. Does the 6.0L drop into a 5.3 truck fine? Require a tune/bellhousing/etc.?

Options on interchangeability that would be well suited for towing would be appreciated.

I dont think it is a complete direct drop in but it shoul not need to many changes at that. It probably would not hurt to tune it either way. Look over on ls1tech a little and I am sure you will be able to find everything you need to know

Isn't that a roller cam? That is suspiciously early from my limited experience for a lobe to be wiped. I'd suspect lifter failure that accelerated cam wear on that lobe, but either way throw a new cam with good lifter(s) in it and be done.

The only wiped lobes I've seen were from high-mileage flat-tappet sbcs, or ones that were badly abused. I've pulled out roller cams with almost 200k on them that looked fresh and were completely fine.

Isn't that a roller cam? That is suspiciously early from my limited experience for a lobe to be wiped. I'd suspect lifter failure that accelerated cam wear on that lobe, but either way throw a new cam with good lifter(s) in it and be done.

The only wiped lobes I've seen were from high-mileage flat-tappet sbcs, or ones that were badly abused. I've pulled out roller cams with almost 200k on them that looked fresh and were completely fine.

I talked to Rob yesterday and he suspected the same. It has ran great up to this point.

I honestly wouldn't be too worried about it. It's not a bad job to do, and won't cost very much either. Plus while you're in there you can check out other stuff (timing set etc.) and be good for another 150k miles I'll bet ;)

Very cool, anybody have suggestions for a good towing cam. Maybe the LS6 is a good option and I'm just misunderstanding or misinformed? Cheaper GM products rather than aftermarket would be great too.

LS6 would be decent and can be had for $100 of you look around. The job itself only takes a few hours, you could do it yourself.

The cam maybe I could, but I don't trust myself to go over everything else to ensure that anything damaged gets replaced. You basically pull the grill, radiator, condenser, etc. out of the way and pull it straight out the front I assume...

If I had time and it were my own car I might make it a learning experience, but for my mother's only car I just want to get it back together quickly and correctly.

If you do the 6.0l swap, it was one of the easiest things I have done to my truck. My 2 friends and I pulled the motor, swapped all accessories, and reinstalled the 6.0 in about 3 hours, and we were taking our time. It was a new longblock though, and didn't have to fight with old bolts or anything. Only thing it needs is a tune, but the 4l60e is the next week link.

If you are going with a cam, the ls6 cam probably would be a bit of an improvement over the stock cam through all rpms, but will make the truck able to be reved higher than 5500 after it's tuned for.

Your oilpan/intake/acceosries will all bolt. Just put a 5.3 in my Camaro due to my LS1 shitting itself, 6L's are more pricey and complete 5.3's can be had cheap got mine with trans and all the crap for 600.

Bolts right in, minor tuning required.

An engine with roller lifters having an issue like this would have me concerned. Are they sure it's not a bent pushrod? Pushrods are much more common.

IMHO, buy a used 5.3 and swap it. Done. Given the mileage and the fact that it's used for a daily, it seems like an easy choice to me.

Not entirely sure on anything yet, which is why it is difficult to make a very good decision at all. Sounds like I'm right to be suspicious of a "for sure" declaration of a wiped cam without having had the heads off....

you can tell with a dial indacator taking the rockers off and measuring lift when turning the engine over.

i wonder if you having a lifter collaps on you, that would cause all these issues. does the engine have alot of ticking that lasts more than a few mins when started?

not sure what direction your heading but if you don't want to spend tons of money and if these parts will work in a 5.3L, I have some used lifters, rocker arms, push rods, camshaft, oil pan, I think I still have the oil pick up tube that goes in the pan(not sure if either will work in the 5.3L), a few valves and valve springs out of a 6.0L LQ9 block that had less then 1,500 miles on it, I bought a long block for my camaro and didn't use any of that stuff, I had a set of LS6 valve springs and retainers but those are spoken for, I just wanted the block :) Edited by SinisterSS

Sure does have some ticking, AJ. I honestly started hearing it probably 6 months ago when I last drove it, but wrote it off as the start of an exhaust leak. It's always been really faint until the misfire started.

Craig, I'll keep you i mind if he decides to go that route.