Terrafugia: Do want.

zeitgeist57

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7860966/Terrafugia-Transition-flying-car-gets-go-ahead-from-US-air-authorities.html

Ugly, and probably not the easiest car to drive or plane to fly...but I admire the technological achievement, and the FAA's willingness to grant exemptions...

Would you have to radio an air traffic controller before simply taking off from the freeway? or anywhere?

Well it would be illegal to do so on a freeway. You would have to do it at an airport or private property. I think you wouldnt need to on private property...unless its in a heavy airtraffic area.

Pretty awesome. I wonder if you aren't taking a lot of cargo, how much further a few hundred pounds of fuel would take you.

Good idea, althought 450lbs doesn't get you too much. You'd only have room for that extra fuel if you were onboard alone with no luggage... what's the point in that?

450lbs is good for 2 average people and a reasonable amount of luggage i.e. not 2 bags over 50lbs like I've seen some people in airports with. Anyone can travel with 1 suit case, less than 50lbs if you are conscious about what you take. That's assuming you are going somewhere you can do laundry and buy toiletries/water/food when needed. That leaves 350lbs for 2 people, or 175lbs/person. That's not too much in the grand scheme of things.

Really why would you want to travel long distances with this thing? :confused: If that's the point, get a real plane.

It would be cool to be able to drive the an airport around here (or your land if you have enough money to buy this thing). Take off and go to Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Indianapolis for the weekend. Drive it off of the tarmac there and have a car to drive around. Well, maybe not Detroit, but any of those other cities.

Very interesting. Wonder if you have to get FAA clearance for takeoff and landing?

I would guess yes. I'm fuzzy on the issue, but you pretty much need to inform them if you're going to be airbourne at all, though there may be exemptions if you maintain/avoid certain altitudes.

This is neat, and a great peice of tech that opens the door for more to do it better... however, any place that I'd want to fly myself, I'd do just as well in a seaplane. :cool:

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/icon-a5.jpg