Mazda guys step in here

Benner

Looking at getting a basic daily driver. Nothing fast, nothing phenomenal. Just a plain daily driver that's half way decent on gas mileage, reliable, and not gonna break the bank. Looking to spend around $6000 or less.

What r ur thoughts on a early 2000's protege or Mazda 6

get a protege 5. we had one and I loved it. Its not fast by any means but is a fun car to drive.

What year and mileage could I expect for around 6k. Also auto or manual don't really matter that much to me

Not sure you'll find a Mazda6 in that range that doesn't have 150k+ miles...

But I 2nd the Protege5, I know a couple people that have them and they are fun to drive and have been maintenance free that I know of.

I've got a cheap (sub $3k) 2000 ford contour that's reliable as all get out fs if interested...tons of maintenance done/receipts, etc...just figured i'd throw that out there. :D

Not sure you'll find a Mazda6 in that range that doesn't have 150k+ miles...

But I 2nd the Protege5, I know a couple people that have them and they are fun to drive and have been maintenance free that I know of.

I've got a cheap (sub $3k) 2000 ford contour that's reliable as all get out fs if interested...tons of maintenance done/receipts, etc...just figured i'd throw that out there. :D

Not really sure if ill be able to do private sales or not. Need to get rid of the gtp. Most likely as trade in.

for $6k for a protege5...it would vary from 80-100K miles and would vary on condition...kind of expensive for the high miles, but i love them

you can get a regular protege sedan for way cheaper and with less miles! which is what i was looking for when i was looking for an old mazda

(i've looked at a lot of p5's....)

I loved my P5, but it was starting to rust at 80k miles. It was only minor stuff in the rear fenderwells but it pissed me off enough I got rid of the car. $6k should buy a nice one.

Worst gas mileage I ever got was 27, that tank had two autocrosses on it lolz.

Looking at getting a basic daily driver. Nothing fast, nothing phenomenal. Just a plain daily driver that's half way decent on gas mileage, reliable, and not gonna break the bank. Looking to spend around $6000 or less.

What r ur thoughts on a early 2000's protege or Mazda 6

Get a 3.

I loved my p5. Get the manual if you are going to get one. They are slow cars and the auto just eats up any torque/hp you have with that thing.

I had some rust issues that pissed me off so I got rid of mine too.

My wife and I have beat the piss out of her Mazda6 ever since she bought it new in 03. Currently 130K miles and still kicking. I had to replace a hose for the PVC valve that you had to take off the intake manifold to replace. It was a pain, but doable. The biggest issue that i've had is that the rear brakes seem to destroy themselves pretty commonly on the 6s.

Our 6 has some rust issues (big chips on the hood) and the rear fender well is rusting. I don't blame our fender on Mazda though as it looks like at some point during one of the winters a big chunk of snow/ice caught the fender lip and broke the paint and then the rust went from there. I'd say a preventative fender roll would take care of that.

Our car is a 4cyl/auto and it regularly gets 23-ish MPG with mixed city/highway in her normal use and will do high 20s to low 30s on longer highway stints.

I'd say that your biggest hitch is going to be that $6K will likely only buy you a higher mileage 6, but depending on how you want to use it that might not matter. We've been passively looking for a replacement for ours and we keep coming back to possibly just buying a newer version of the same car.

Thanks for the input so far guys. I'm not gonna jump on anything till I find the exact car I want and get loans sorted out. Really like the looks of the protege 5. But I'd definetely the manual.

Also I'm guessing it's okay to run regular unleaded gas?