TV and Home Theater Help

wagner

I am thinking about getting flat screen and want to get some ideas on what brands are good. So for those of you who are into this sort of thing or know what you are talking about any help would be great!

- What are some good web sites for info on different brands?

- LCD or Plasma?

- What to look for or stay away from?

- Buy on-line or Big Box store?

This TV will be our main TV and will be used for gaming too. I would like something at least 46 inches and 1080p.

I am also kicking around doing surround sound too so any ideas on where to go with that would be cool.

LCD's have pretty much caught up to Plasma's in terms of brightness and picture, but I still prefer Plasma's. Big box stores are fine for buying stuff, and if you can find what was a display model, so much the better.

Panasonic is my brand of choice.

we have had 2 Phillips (lcd) and a Samsung (plasma). My neighbor just picked up this http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1120116 . Awesome TV the internet apps is a neat feature but kinda slow to run. But the picture is killer he also picked up the Vizio sound bar for it but has yet to hook that up since he hasn't wall mounted the TV yet.

Buy at a big box. Returns and whatnot with online stores with regards to TV's can be a pain in the ass.

Panasonic is probably the best bang for your buck when it comes to plasma.

Samsung and Sony for LCD/LED stuff.

If you're a pretty serious gamer I'd go plasma. No burn-in issues anymore and input lag is much lower on plasma's vs. LCD.

any LCD 1080p is what you should look for just shop around and look at different brands, you'll make your choice quicker when you look for yourself, Pioneer makes a few nice LCD's but they carry a hefty price tag, but your best bet is to get one of the new 3D LCD TV that's where technology is going, and video games are going 3D too, so sell your 360 and get a PS3 it can already read Blu-Ray movies and will read the 3D movies too Edited by SinisterSS

I forgot to add, that right now if you buy a 3D TV and 3D bluray player at best buy, you get 4 3D glasses for free and a free 3D movie. Since I already have a PS3 that will play 3D bluray, I sold the bluray player.

I have a Samsung 50" plasma and I am happy with it except for the buzz of the power supply. I also have a 46" Vizio and a 27" vizio, never had any problems with either of them.

LCD's picture quality are just as good as Plasma's IMHO.

The thing that swayed me on my recent purchase was how much electricity Plasmas eat, 2-4x as much!

i bought an LG 47sl80 in March, i fucking love it!

47", 1080p, ultra thin, 240hz

it's got every option imaginable, and is as thin as an LED, while not being one (only 1 inch thick).

I have bought 4 lcd's from walmart and I have been happy with all of them. I wasnt looking for anything major in terms of performance and did just a bit of research and found unless your going top top dollar there really wasnt much difference. After that it came to price and nobody else even came close.

Samsung makes good quality tv's. We have a samsung lcd. Vizio's are cheap, but can be good depending on what you're looking for. Some of their models are much better than others. Do your research and see what you're willing to give up option and viewing wise on a tv and what you actually want.

We bought an LG 55LH40 55" LCD before I deployed, HH Greg price matched best buy, and threw in the extended waranty for free. Runs flawlesly, plenty bright for our living room even with the sun coming in the patio door.

As far as the audio end, parts express has plenty of parts and plans for making excelent speakers on your own, just hae to get a reciver with enough inputs to do what you want it to.

Panasonic Plasma. If you go LCD I reserve the right in a few years to say I told you so. Yes, I'm biased as I used to work for Panny. However, I'm confident in my advice.

I took your advice along with Pat's.....

Will post a rewview when we get things dialed in but overall I am very please with what I got for the money :)