dumb supercharger question

hpfiend

Hey all-

Is it possible to blow-off the boost through some sort of a wastegate on a centrifugal supercharger system so you can have a stock to wild setup depending on how you adjust the wastegate like with turbos?

Sure, let's say your car is tune for 15 psi and you just want to run 10 psi on the street, you can put an adjustable wastegate on the intake pipe and set it at 10 psi. Granted, it's a little ghetto and your car will run a little rich on the street, but it'll work.

It's been done with a wastegate on the intake piping.

My mustang had a diverter valve on the intake piping with the supercharger but it was not adjustable and I never heard anything if I slammed the throttle shut on shifts-

I guess I should have played around with it more to see if I could bleed the boost off to stock- but I guess that plays into the map control as you are after the MAF so how will the engine know how to change the fuel...

My mustang had a diverter valve on the intake piping with the supercharger but it was not adjustable and I never heard anything if I slammed the throttle shut on shifts-

I guess I should have played around with it more to see if I could bleed the boost off to stock- but I guess that plays into the map control as you are after the MAF so how will the engine know how to change the fuel...

Mass flow is mass flow, so, there wouldn't be an issue as the compressor is only sucking in/spitting out the demand. Usually the issue lies in running off the load axis/airflow limit.

Mass flow is mass flow, so, there wouldn't be an issue as the compressor is only sucking in/spitting out the demand. Usually the issue lies in running off the load axis/airflow limit.

As long as the wastegate is before the MAF sensor correct?

Could you put a clutch on the super charger pulley? Have it hooked to a button you press to switch the SC on and the ECU to a different map? Similar to what was done on the Mad Max interceptor.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/2792482141_2a1d93c4c6.jpg

Could you put a clutch on the super charger pulley? Have it hooked to a button you press to switch the SC on and the ECU to a different map? Similar to what was done on the Mad Max interceptor.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/2792482141_2a1d93c4c6.jpg

My car have a clutch on the SC pulley. The factory ECU control it.

If you had a wastegate on the charge piping bleeding off boost so the engine only sees 10, wouldnt the supercharger still be spinning 15lbs the entire time? Seems like your just creating a big electronically controlled vac leak.

If you had a wastegate on the charge piping bleeding off boost so the engine only sees 10, wouldnt the supercharger still be spinning 15lbs the entire time? Seems like your just creating a big electronically controlled vac leak.

and the fact that if its after MAF is a giant leak.

Honestly you would be better off running a turbo setup with a electronic boost controller

It's a PITA to get right. I was trying a set up on my GTP a few years back using and A2A intercooler from a Holden set up. The GTP uses a roots blower but I ran into similar problems with tuning the MAF and getting the car to not run super rich.

GL!

My car have a clutch on the SC pulley. The factory ECU control it.

Correct but the clutch on the supercharger is either engaged or not so you've got no boost or full boost, you can't set it up to slip to provide partial boost.

The nice thing is our cars benefit from being Speed/Density cars so there can be a boost map and no boost map.

keep it simple. have your blower setup for street duty, with a pump gas tune. if you decide to go to the track, it shouldn't be too hard to switch the pulley, belt, and tune to 'kill mode'. messing around with blower clutches, and blow-off valves sounds like a great recipe for a blown motor. keep it simple. with modern intercooling, meth injection/etc., you can get plenty of power on a very safe tune with 93 octane.

Just kicking around ideas for my c5 z06. A blower setup installed and tuned with injectors etc is less than the price of a turbo kit alone. As I am at the limits of traction now with only around 360 to the tires I can't imagine what it would be like to try to drive with 5-600 to the tires - hence why I want to limit the boost.

uhhh - easier said then done unless you have a no-torque 4 banger on drag radials that doesn't make over 200 to the wheels until 4500 rpm. And 30-100 mph rolls are not drag racing at any track I am aware of. Edited by hpfiend

Just kicking around ideas for my c5 z06. A blower setup installed and tuned with injectors etc is less than the price of a turbo kit alone. As I am at the limits of traction now with only around 360 to the tires I can't imagine what it would be like to try to drive with 5-600 to the tires - hence why I want to limit the boost.
You can still drive around with 5-600 at the wheels with no problems;)