2wd vs. 4x4 truck

dover

Guest tbutera2112
Diesel Guys:

What are the costs for typical maintenance

What are the intervals

If I buy a higher mileage one 150k-200k what should I expect to have to fix?

oil change with full synthetic: $120ish - every 8-10k miles (oil test confirmed the oil will last that long or longer)

the only thing i can think of to look for on the truck that mileage range are ball joint, u joints, injectors are known to give out on the fords, HPOP o-rings need replaced sometimes...mostly little stuff (injectors can get a hair pricey if they do give out)

not sure on the dodge trucks - never owned one

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diesel Guys:

What are the costs for typical maintenance

What are the intervals

If I buy a higher mileage one 150k-200k what should I expect to have to fix?

6.0Ls Ford, head gasket, injectors (almost every truck we've had at the shop), egr and Turbo

7.3 injectors at 400k trannys around 250-300k

Duramax 01-03 injector problems, IIRC a class action lawsuit about injector/tranny issues (high temps while pulling up huge hills)

Dodge 24 valves and common rails: all autos are junk, engine is best out of all diesels, best fuel economy best torque, front ends with heavy use need rebuilt at 80-100k

All 08s and newer run like shit and get bad fuel economy with all the bullshit EPA restrictions.

We have literally had thousands of diesel's (our family speciality for sales) and out of every truck I would get...

99-00 7.3 c/c lb 4x4

01-02 24valve dodge with a 5/6 speed 2wd ext long bed

03-05 common rail Dodge crew cab 6 speed 4x4 long bed

Custom build pulling truck 95-97 1 ton with a p-pumped 24 valve ( would be cool to build) fire ringed, studded with 80lbs boost..o I wish lol

Ford has the better cab/truck but NOTHING can touch the Cummins. Their in everything from backhoes with 4bts to rvs and tractor trailors with huge 14liter 6 cylinders. International/navistar isn't doing so get IMO.

I would get the second truck listed #1 pick, the Ford #2 pick and the 4x4 Dodge #3.

is 206K to many miles how long am i looking before major repairs?

Rebuilds are at 450-500k

It will probably need lower and upper ball joints NOW

Check/change rear end gear oil (get a higher capacity cover with cooling fins aftermarket)

A crescent wrench to break the hubs loose

Drive

not pay for towing bill

profit?

Rebuilds are at 450-500k

It will probably need lower and upper ball joints NOW

Check/change rear end gear oil (get a higher capacity cover with cooling fins aftermarket)

A crescent wrench to break the hubs loose

Drive

not pay for towing bill

profit?

So you think that truck I just posted is work the 10k they are asking or should I lowball

The truck you posted is the gay maroon color LOL, I like the black and gray or Arizona beige and black.

It looks alright from the pictures, but that's "just" pictures.

Price seems inline for the miles listed. But I would spend more and get a lower mileage (130-150) just less chance for something to go wrong.

But with that being said I've drove MANY diesel's with 400k+ miles and if taken care of drive great, but You don't know how the trucks prior maintaince was.

looks Badass, but with a rebuilt trans it has saw abuse. I would look at it in person, maybe try to get it for less.

if its had a chip on for a while the injectors will "clatter" people that aren't familiar with alot of diesels wont know the sound I'm talking about.

A lot of money just in tires probably around 1200 dollars.

Probably needs ball joints as no one seems to do this maintance

I would avoid it, the nicest high mileage trucks are always close to stock, but lifted trucks always look cool.

Handful of times? How long have you lived in Ohio? Were you hibernating during the three straight months of having a foot of snow on the ground last Winter?

A foot of snow is no reason to engage 4x4. 3ft is but we live in ohio not Wis. !ft is just getting fun, if you have problem in 1ft you new to park it

A foot of snow is no reason to engage 4x4. 3ft is but we live in ohio not Wis. !ft is just getting fun, if you have problem in 1ft you new to park it

Word. I used my 4x4 once this past winter.

Guest tbutera2112
I know you said you didnt want a dually, but this is cheaper than the ones i've seen you posted and a lot less miles and its only $9k....dump it on some semi wheels!

FS add: http://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/1846024474.html

Pics: http://rides.webshots.com/album/578165110AUaHDO

the only reason its so much cheaper than the ones hes been posting is because its 2wd