George Steinbrenner Dead?

SpaceGhost

http://www.longislandpress.com/2010/07/13/george-steinbrenner-dead-yankees-owner-suffers-massive-heart-attack/

An initially unconfirmed account by a caller to the Opie and Anthony morning show on Sirius/XM Satellite Radio that George Steinbrenner had died, quickly set off another internet celebrity death rumor, however the often-controversial executive has apparently indeed suffered a “massive heart attack” at his home in Florida, according to reports now coming in from official news sources including WABC-NY.

Steinbrenner, the outspoken and revered owner of the New York Yankees, has long been suspected of being in failing health. He has not been a part of the day to day operations of the ballclub for many years, having handed over the reins to his sons Hank and Hal Steinbrenner.

As owner, George Steinbrenner, who turned 80 earlier this month, led the Yankees to seven World Series victories, and recently released a statement regarding the passing of legendary Yankees announcer Bob Sheppard just the other day.

Steinbrenner’s condition is currently unknown. We will update as more information becomes available.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5375561

Yankees' Steinbrenner dies at 80

ESPN.com news services

Longtime New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner died Tuesday morning, his family confirmed in a statement.

Steinbrenner

"It is with profound sadness that the family of George M. Steinbrenner III announces his passing. He passed away this morning in Tampa, Fla., at age 80," the family said in a statement.

"He was an incredible and charitable man. First and foremost he was devoted to his entire family -- his beloved wife, Joan; his sisters, Susan Norpell and Judy Kamm, his children, Hank, Jennifer Jessica and Hal; and all of his grandchildren.

"He was a visionary and a giant in the world of sports. He took a great but struggling franchise and turned it into a champion again."

Spokesman Howard Rubenstein said he died Tuesday morning. He had a heart attack, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., and died at about 6:30 a.m, according to multiple reports.

The Steinbrenner family said that funeral arrangements will be private, however details about an additional public service will be announced at a later date.

Flags were immediately lowered to half-staff at Steinbrenner Field, the Yankees' spring training complex. The Yankees say many employees there were in tears.

Steinbrenner, who celebrated his 80th birthday on July 4, was taken to a Tampa hospital after emergency crews responded to his home Monday night.

Steinbrenner who had been in fragile health for several years, gave his sons, Hal and Hank, day-to-day control of the team in late 2007.

He told The Associated Press last week that he was "feeling good" after spending a couple hours in his office at the Yankees' spring training complex.

Under his ownership, the Yankees have won 11 AL pennants and seven World Series titles.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

First time I saw he was dead I thought about Seinfeld. lol.

RIP Boss

The Seinfeld character was far more entertaining than the real one anyday! That bomb in the George's desk was classic! Or the Tyler Chicken exchange for George.

Greatest owner of the greatest team of all time. Hopefully his son follows the script. Sad

Ummm first sad that he died he was a good owner. He was the owner of the worst team in sports by far. There are so many things wrong with the Yankees and baseball its not even funny. But he was a good owner because he would spend the money when others were cheap.

Ummm first sad that he died he was a good owner. He was the owner of the worst team in sports by far. There are so many things wrong with the Yankees and baseball its not even funny. But he was a good owner because he would spend the money when others were cheap.

Another hater.....

By hater do you mean someone that is informed and doesnt go for the latest team that wins a title? Are you a lakers fan as well or even a Saints fan.

No im not a lakers fan or saints fan. I was actually raised watching the yankees and 49er's so ive been on a banwagon for T.O. i guess you can say i like to see him succeed.

No im not a lakers fan or saints fan. I was actually raised watching the yankees and 49er's so ive been on a banwagon for T.O. i guess you can say i like to see him succeed.

Omg really dude you arent even worth talking about sports. Your parents are the ones to blame if they only showed you the teams that were winning championships. Can someone say bandwagon fan....Im cool with you saying that about TO because I like him a lot as well. The dude in the open field is probably (was) the best but I really dont know why you brought that up.

Omg really dude you arent even worth talking about sports. Your parents are the ones to blame if they only showed you the teams that were winning championships. Can someone say bandwagon fan....Im cool with you saying that about TO because I like him a lot as well. The dude in the open field is probably (was) the best but I really dont know why you brought that up.

My parents have shit to do with this, so if you would leave them out thanks. I as a kid watch my own selection of tv so if anything Tv is to blame for me liking those two teams.....you ask why they both were on all the time...And as for T.O. he is a all time great and will hopefully enter the HOF if they keep it on the field when it comes to deciding

My parents have shit to do with this, so if you would leave them out thanks. I as a kid watch my own selection of tv so if anything Tv is to blame for me liking those two teams.....you ask why they both were on all the time...And as for T.O. he is a all time great and will hopefully enter the HOF if they keep it on the field when it comes to deciding

Why do you keep on bringing TO up it doesnt make sense!? I agreed with you about him so im not sure why you are all butt hurt about me agreeing with you. Dont call the Yankees that greatest team of all time when they are in the MLB. I will even give you the 49ers even though it shows you only like teams that were successful. If you still like them I will be ok with that but im pretty sure you dont. Yankees are everything that is wrong in sports they DO NOT deserve their rings. They were bought and it makes me sick. You must not be smart enough to realize that and must think they are just good and worked their way up.

Why do you keep on bringing TO up it doesnt make sense!? I agreed with you about him so im not sure why you are all butt hurt about me agreeing with you. Dont call the Yankees that greatest team of all time when they are in the MLB. I will even give you the 49ers even though it shows you only like teams that were successful. If you still like them I will be ok with that but im pretty sure you dont. Yankees are everything that is wrong in sports they DO NOT deserve their rings. They were bought and it makes me sick. You must not be smart enough to realize that and must think they are just good and worked their way up.

ok, first i was just going a little further about TO. Second, i never stated they were the best team in sports. And its the MLB's fault if thats the case for no salary cap. And yes i still like the 49ers just as the yankees. WIth growing up and playing baseball you always look up to the greats so therefore by nature your going to like the team they play for amirite?