iPhone users want tethering without being jailbroken?

justinwebb

Well shit, I bought it just in time apparently, but I can't figure out how to enable the SOCKS proxy on a windows machine... Any ideas? All the tutorials are for MAC.

EDIT: I did try entering the SOCKS info into my browser proxy settings (Both IE and FireFox) to no avail. Am I doing it wrong? All of the other stuff should be the same b/w MAC/PC I would guess???

Edited by twistedfocus

Whilst its quite funny that he's done this its also worrying.

I know from experience that some of the reviewers do not check apps at all. I know because I accidentally submitted a very, very buggy build of one of my apps with a copyright logo in the icon and loading screen.

It hit the store and was in there a day before I noticed and pulled it.

Its quite worrying that someone could put anything into an App. Even something as simple as stealing contact numbers, or taking photos - its very possible and Apple obviously wouldn't know!

Chances are there are some apps out there doing it already.

comment on that forum. obviously they havnt been into the android market. its all open development, and its doing just fine. apple fags.

I think this app made it to #3 or #4 in the paid top apps in the app store before it was pulled, not bad for a couple of hours.

I wonder if Apple keeps the cash and doesn't pay the developer, since he broke the terms of the contract?

For you iPhone people that don't use a MAC, I found this modified tutorial that is more specific to Windows. I have yet to verify it. I'll update when i get home and try it out on the old Lappy 2K.

Tethering the iPhone to a PC

1. In Windows 7 or XP, go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center
  2. Select “Manage wireless networks”
  3. Click “Add” and select “Create an ad hoc network”
  4. Enter in a Network name (make up one), choose your “Security type” (No authentication (Open) if you don’t want to bother with a password, or WEP if you want to specify a password)
  5. Connect the iPhone to the Ad Hoc network you created, assign it a static IP of 13.37.13.37 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
  6. In Windows 7 or XP, go back to “Network and Sharing Center” and click on the active Ad Hoc connection to bring up the Wireless Network Connection Status window
  7. Click on “Properties”, highlight “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and then click “Properties”
  8. Select the “Alternate Configuration” tab and enter in an IP address of 13.37.13.38, Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 and click OK. The address 13.37.13.37 should now be pingable from a command prompt.
  9. Open Firefox and goto “Tools” and then “Options”
  10. Select “Advanced” then “Network” and click on “Settings”
  11. Select “Manual proxy configuration” and enter in, SOCKS Host: 13.37.13.37, SOCKS Port: 1337, select SOCKS v4 and click OK
  12. In Firefox, type “about:config” in the address bar and click past the warning prompt
  13. Scroll down to “network.proxy.socks_remote_dns” and change this value to TRUE by clicking on it.
  14. Close Firefox
  15. Open HandyLight on your iPhone and press Blue, Yellow then Red. Finally press the top right corner and it will turn purple.
  16. Open Firefox again and you should now be able to browse

I downloaded it while it was out there. Worth having it for a buck. I haven't had the time to try it out yet though.

Color me stupid here, but does tethering run the phone hard enough to be able to cause damage? I breezed thru that thread and a bunch of people said that their phones got hot while tethering.