Chevy 6.2L diesel

Forrest Gump 9

6.2 and 6.5

lol their a joke.

If you want a chevy diesel buy a LBZ duramax, more money up-front but wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less issues. And tons of power. EFI live it and have fun!

Or find a older 7.3L. Get a 99 and up. the 97 and down are dogs. even with programmers.

Or if you want to play russin roulet buy a dodge!

I have an 83 K10 with the 6.2 and a 700r4. I have had it for almost 5 years now and done nothing to it but change fluids and filters. Mine was a former airport truck (from 1983-2005), and I personally witnessed it get the living hell beat out of it day in day out for several years and it never missed a beat. Plus it gets 19-20 mpg on the highway. They get a bad rap because people compare them to late model, turbocharged Cummins, Internationals, etc. That's like comparing apples to oranges. It isn't a modern design, it's not turbocharged, and therefore lacks the power advantages of more modern engines (just like anything else). Also, people often lump these engines in with the garbage 5.7 diesel, when in fact, the 6.2 was a ground up design from Detroit Diesel. I wouldn't recommend one if you're looking for a ton of power, but for a good running older truck that gets better mileage than the gas version, you'd be fine. Edited by TA In Progress
spelling

Not to change the subject, but how solid was the 6.5L turbo diesel that was in a lot of 90's GM trucks?

Alot of people i talk too will all agree, 6.2s and 6.5s are both awesomely reliable as long as you dont do modifications to them, after that they lose all reliability.

I wouldn't recommend one if you're looking for a ton of power, but for a good running older truck that gets better mileage than the gas version, you'd be fine.

+1.

My '82 Silverado has been a champ...tows well except in higher elevations (Smoky Mountains while towing my Corvette was fun) and gets reasonably good fuel economy.

One good thing is that everything bolting to it (transmissions, engine mounts, alternators, PS pumps, AC compressors, even mechanical fuel pumps) are standard 350 SBC bolt-pattern parts available for cheap at every auto store nationwide...

6.2 and 6.5

lol their a joke.

If you want a chevy diesel buy a LBZ duramax, more money up-front but wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less issues. And tons of power. EFI live it and have fun!

Or find a older 7.3L. Get a 99 and up. the 97 and down are dogs. even with programmers.

Or if you want to play russin roulet buy a dodge!

my 96 is far from slow:p

Their junk. Maybe 1 out of a 100 was good

my 6.5 was great { for 6 months} until the head gasket blew !

After that I did some research and found out it was common for the head gaskest to do that on a 6.5 .

Edited by lawnman

Buy it and drop.a cummins in it and be done

Who around here can do this kind of conversion? Why is Cummins diesel engine superior over Duramax or Ford powerstroke? I'm looking for liability not massive power, but still strong enough to get me out of tight places.

Who around here can do this kind of conversion? Why is Cummins diesel engine superior over Duramax or Ford powerstroke? I'm looking for liability not massive power, but still strong enough to get me out of tight places.

The 5.9L cummins is one of the best motors there is.

I would buy a common rail though (2003-2007). So as you don't have injection pump issues, unless you want to p-pump it or don't mind replacing injection pumps.

but they get great gas mileage, and make TONS of power CHEAP!

600hp and 1400ft/lb isnt hard to accomplish with a cummins

I did it on my truck and love every min of it

Guys, the OP asked for CR diesel experts. Not internet rumor answers from a bunch of Cummins and Powerstroke fan-boys. He didn't ask about any of those engines.

True, the 6.2L not as powerful as the Cummins or Duramax. But, you can't compare any of the modern turbo diesel's to an engine that was designed in 1982.

The 6.2L is a great engine if it is used for what it was designed for. It has good towing torque and great fuel economy for a heavy duty diesel engine. It will beat any of the mentioned engines in fuel economy by far if geared properly and will last as long or longer. It served the military for a very long time, and was good in it's roll as an all-purpose diesel engine for smaller military vehicles.

You're not going to win any speed records or pulling contest's but it is a truly great engine.

Doing a Cummins swap on a Landcruiser would not be a great idea. That engine is way too heavy for that chassis and I don't know about the engine bay on the LC, but I'm guessing the Cummins won't even fit (height). The weight would be murder on the front suspension, it weights almost 800 lbs. Leave the 6.2L in there, the works already done for you.

Edited by Diesel Pilot

We had a 6.2 Suburban with a Banks Turbo kit and 3" exhaust. It was bad ass to say the least. Didn't have it for long due to Dad can't decide what he wants to keep. It is definitely the truck he should have kept though. That thing was awesome...

Guys, the OP asked for CR diesel experts. Not internet rumor answers from a bunch of Cummins and Powerstroke fan-boys. He didn't ask about any of those engines.

True, the 6.2L not as powerful as the Cummins or Duramax. But, you can't compare any of the modern turbo diesel's to an engine that was designed in 1982.

The 6.2L is a great engine if it is used for what it was designed for. It has good towing torque and great fuel economy for a heavy duty diesel engine. It will beat any of the mentioned engines in fuel economy by far if geared properly and will last as long or longer. It served the military for a very long time, and was good in it's roll as an all-purpose diesel engine for smaller military vehicles.

You're not going to win any speed records or pulling contest's but it is a truly great engine.

Doing a Cummins swap on a Landcruiser would not be a great idea. That engine is way too heavy for that chassis and I don't know about the engine bay on the LC, but I'm guessing the Cummins won't even fit (height). The weight would be murder on the front suspension, it weights almost 800 lbs. Leave the 6.2L in there, the works already done for you.

X2!

Half of this thread is filled with people who don't know shit about diesel trucks but their friend has one and they said so and so about them.

That engine is way too heavy for that chassis and I don't know about the engine bay on the LC, but I'm guessing the Cummins won't even fit (height). The weight would be murder on the front suspension, it weights almost 800 lbs. Leave the 6.2L in there, the works already done for you.

If weight is an issue, make he should consider a 4BT.