Ever seen a tire do this?

nurkvinny

Plugged a slow leak last week in the wife's van.

Still losing air.

Plugged another slow leak today. While checking it with soapy water, I noticed a third, fourth, ... 7 fucking slow leaks. No sign of anything ever being in the tire at the leak locations.

Simply looks like the tire decided to open up and leak. Mind you, no dry rotting or any visual holes.

Michelin btw.

I wouldn't plug 7 leaks in a tire where my family was being transported in personally......but no I've never had or seen that happen.

Obviously.

Any more than 3 and it's junk.

I don't believe there is any magic number for that rule... but yeah, 7 is ridiculous.

Will be getting new ones Monday. Just curious if anyone has seen this. I'm sure she didn't run over something 7 times with 1 tire, and miss everything with the other 3. :)

I fixed tires everyday for a decade and never ran across this situation.

Happened to me on an ATV ride a few weeks ago. Tire was fine Saturday, then Sunday the tire just went flat. The tire just started falling apart. Put 7 plugs in it on the trail and it went flat again as soon as we started riding again.

All tire manufacturers state 3 is limit

I should have phrased it differently.

"I" don't believe in any random number being the magic number. There's nothing different about a tire's integrity between 2 plugs and 4. A tire that's had 20 1mm punctures is probably better than one that's had a single 8mm puncture.

I'd be interested in seeing first-hand links to "3 is the limit" for plugs documentation.

I understand you said there wasn't any sign of cracking, but how old are the tires anyway just for reference? I haven't seen anything like that either, at least not that many leaks.

I have seen 1 or 2 that didn't have much sign of anything being there. But it could have been something embedded in the tread that the top of it came off, again if you plugged it you would have felt the rest of it though.

Odd.

Don't know age. They were brand new looking when we bought the van from Liberty Dodge. They could have been 10 year old junkers they had laying around, I don't know.

There should be a DOT number on the tires, on 1 side their should be a 4 digit number thats circled sort of. First 2 numbers are the week, last 2 are the year. Example is 3204...32nd week of 2004.