Much Want

John Bruh

http://mitsubishi.gearboxmagazine.com/wp-content/themes/denovo/lib/scripts/thumb.php?src=http://mitsubishi.gearboxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/42.jpg&w=620&h=290&zc=1&q=95

http://mitsubishi.gearboxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/16.jpg

http://mitsubishi.gearboxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/17.jpg

http://mitsubishi.gearboxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/52.jpg

One of the rarest vehicles Mitsubishi has ever offered for sale, only 2,500 Lancer Evolution IX GT and GTAs were ever made. You might see Evos on a daily basis, but we caught up with Andy to chat about an Evo you just don’t see every day (or might never see at all).

What’s your real name? Where do you live?

Hi, I’m Andrew Tharia from Lancashire in England.

What do you do for a living?

A self-employed decorator, I also troubleshoot and fix PCs.

What Mitsubishi(s) do you drive? How long have you had it/them?

Presently, an Evo 9 GT Wagon. (Owned it for less than six months.)

Aren’t the Evo Wagons on the rare side? What should people know about them?

They are, only 2500 were ever made. All were JDM only. I believe there may be only another ten, or so, in the UK.

There are two versions, a GT and a GTA. The latter is a 5 speed Invecs II, automatic (similar to tiptronic box.) The GT wagon is almost identical to a JDM Evo 9 GT. LSD front and rear, same running gear etc., although it is equipped with a 6 speed manual gearbox instead of the saloon’s five speed. It has the MIVEC engine and an 80 series turbo, too.

What originally attracted you to Mitsubishi?

A friend turned up to a race-meeting (r/c nitro, off-road) in his red, Super VR4 Legnum. I commented that it looked pretty beefy as well as smart. He proceeded to pop the hood for me and I was gob-smacked at the sight of the 24 valve, quad-cam, V6, twin-turbocharged motor. ” I want one!” I gasped.

A week later, I picked up a silver VR4 Legnum and loved it.

How do you use use your Mitsubishi?

It is my daily drive. I use it for transporting my dog around as well as for work. You should see some of the reactions it receives from people at builder’s merchants when I load up with timber and painting materials. They often ask if I’m really going to use it to carry timber in. Of course I am, it is a wagon, after all!

Obviously I take care care with it, put covers down, etc.

I have also taken my car onto racetracks, which is a lot of fun.

What are your goals for your Mitsubishi?

To enjoy owning and driving it as long as possible. It’s not like I’m able to upgrade to a newer one. As far as mods go, I’ve put a few carbon-fibre parts on and had a remap. It now runs at just over 400/400 (bhp/ft.lbs torque).

Considering your goals, can you tell us about a couple of your favorites and how they help you towards realizing the goals you’ve set for the vehicle?

Inside, there’s a Kenwood DVD/sat-nav, under-seat subs, upgraded speakers all round, and the boot has a Rockford Fosgate Punch 12″ (skinny) speaker, powered by a JL Audio 500.1 amp. They all help for long journeys.

How often do you get together with other Mitsubishi owners in person? What do you do?

I’ve attended a few meets so far, two were on the track. One was for charity.

Tell us about something really exciting you’ve done with other Mitsubishi owners.

One meet was a guest spot of 50 Evos at a Subaru charity meet. There were in excess of 2500 Scoobies present but the overall winner of the ‘show & shine’ competition was a gorgeous, red TME Evo!

Tell us about a time something broke and what it took to fix it.

I went to visit my parents for my Mum’s birthday celebrations. On the 200 mile journey to Wales, my clutch started to slip. I made the rest of the journey, though. I had to tap my Dad up to lend me £1400 so I could get a new one fitted, otherwise, I threatened, he’d be stuck with me!

What is your embarrassment moment – that time you made a stupid mistake?

At Anglesey racetrack, overcooked a corner and span and span and span . . . Dohhh!

What is your finest hour – that time you saw it all come together perfectly?

Driving home, immediately after buying the car, felt pretty good.

Which Mitsubishi communities do you frequent most and why? (What’s your screen name?)

As well as ClubVR4, the MLR (Mitsubishi Lancer Register).

Both sites have provided a wealth of information and have numerous helpful members. On both, I am ‘WizardKing.’

How have you benefited from your involvement in these communities?

Learned a lot about how to tackle various tasks on my cars from them.

How do you try to give back to these communities?

By sharing my own experiences, tips et. al.

What keeps you going; keeps you motivated to pick up your wrenches?

Just as necessity is said to be the mother of invention, the same could be said regarding maintenance.

What’s next for your Mitsubishi?

Hopefully, just the usual; a wash and wax. I’m pleased with her as she is, really.

Who has helped you the most along the way with the car? Any mentors?

My grandfather and parents have been invaluable to me.

Is there a particular shop you’d like to recommend?

There are two, actually. The Racing Line, based in Halifax, and Indigo GT, South Wales.

http://mitsubishi.gearboxmagazine.com/2010/08/ever-seen-an-evo-ix-gt-wagon/