anyone know about electric motors...

evan9381

after trying to trackdown a chainsaw to borrow for about a month now (i refuse to pay sunbelt $60 for a full day rental when i only need one for less than an hour), my g/f was able to borrow her aunts when she was out there today. she gets home today, and its a remington brand 3.0hp with about a 16" blade.

i get the tree trunk cut down that i needed gone, about 10-12" in diameter. after i get done, i can see it smoking a little bit...was able to shake a few pieces of tree shavings out of it, but when i hit the button, it turned back on just fine.

let it sit for about 5 minutes while we carried the trunk to the front of the house, come back out to cut down another small tree, and nothing. checked the cords, all plugged in. tried another outlet, still nothing. i dont even hear anything inside like its trying to turn on...took it into my garage and set it down, got a couple other things knocked out, came back over, plugged it in, still nothing...where it was sitting though, theres about a tablespoon of oil that had leaked out onto my garage floor at about the base of the chain/blade.

now i feel like a dick for this chainsaw not working after i used it for <5 minutes, and i dont want to return it broken

any ideas what i can look for with this?

could have just exhausted the motor and seized it up. any clicking noises when plugging it in?

that's my thought, smell it and see if it smells burnt. You can also try forcing it to turn while pulling the trigger but BE CAREFUL obviously. Sometimes tapping them with a mallet will help knock it loose. Odds are though, if you need to knock it loose, you fried it.

Should have payed the 60$ rental. Reals saws don't plug in, tinker toys do.

This, and then just to "keep it simple" you did plug it in to a known working outlet? Breakers do pop. Its also possible the saw has some type of fuse or possibly since your talking a good bit of amps the "go switch" is burnt a little and not working. Lots of possibilities I'd have to put a meter on it to know for sure.

Should have payed the 60$ rental. Reals saws don't plug in, tinker toys do.

yeah, but i dont need to cut down a bunch of stuff. i had the tree i got down, maybe 12" trunk, and a couple tree/bush things with maybe a 3" trunk on each i wanted down. not worth $60 to rent for a day because they wont rent it for 4 hours like most of the other tools ive rented from them (wallpaper steamer, aerator)

yeah, but i dont need to cut down a bunch of stuff. i had the tree i got down, maybe 12" trunk, and a couple tree/bush things with maybe a 3" trunk on each i wanted down. not worth $60 to rent for a day because they wont rent it for 4 hours like most of the other tools ive rented from them (wallpaper steamer, aerator)

Thats why i don't borrow thing like that i allways end up buying them a new one anyway.

You didn't happen to hit the chain brake did you? I use to have an electric saw. Sometimes I'd accidentally push the brake forward without realizing it. I'd sit the saw down, come back to use it and it wouldn't work. Would piss me off to no end until I figured out what I did.