Neat photo

Tractor

Here's a pic from an engagement shoot I did yesterday in the arena district. I was actually going for the lens flare effect that seems to be this years (in thing) for wedding shoots.

Instead I ended up getting this.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/EWhytsell/IMG_8958.jpg

By the way the arena district is really cool for engagement or even modeling sessions. I'm actually surprised all I usually see is just a wedding party at the arch. So much more potential around the area. I could spend a week there with a model easily.

If the flare looks good let me have:-)

Here's some of what is being done this year from some of the photogs on a forum I'm learning from.

http://www.toddbaughphoto.com/posts/fm/anna_blog09.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq351/alanabramsphotography/Silke/IMG_0408.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k221/Adonis79/mk32of40.jpg

And then at night by the queen of flare

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4451198789_3fdda931f6_o.jpg

Thinking back I'm gonna say the F/11 aperture cut the flare down and got the sun nearly properly exposed and at the same time caused the rays due to the closed aperture blades.

At least I hope I can reproduce it because I put it on facebook and my next engagement client wants something similar.

You subjects are not properly exposed.

I wouldnt say thats to this year. Its been done overly much the last few years. First shot is great, and probably had an octa lighting. The next 2 examples you have posted are desaturated a bit also. The last shot could have been shot it broad day light for all we know. Thats a speed light behind the subjects. Get up to your max sync speed (or close to) and you will blow the background dark. Pretty easy.

You subjects are not properly exposed.

I was online on my phone earlier.

Either way it can be achieved day or night. All in your shutter speed.

I agree with you on the others. I know all about it, I prefer to use 7oclock sun for flare, or just not do it at all. Typically the desaturated look in flared photos is caused by the unbalanced light coming into the lens. When shooting in ambient light, and using no type of OCF that is the result.

In saying that, I have seen a lot of desaturated photos this past year, flare or not. The problem with "photographers" is only 1/3 of them are actually "photographers". The others just follow what they are doing.

Edited by Clifford Automotive

I was online on my phone earlier.

Either way it can be achieved day or night. All in your shutter speed.

I agree with you on the others. I know all about it, I prefer to use 7oclock sun for flare, or just not do it at all. Typically the desaturated look in flared photos is caused by the unbalanced light coming into the lens. When shooting in ambient light, and using no type of OCF that is the result.

In saying that, I have seen a lot of desaturated photos this past year, flare or not. The problem with "photographers" is only 1/3 of them are actually "photographers". The others just follow what they are doing.

True, desaturated seems to be popular. I'm always going back and fourth in my thinking about how to process. I prefer as "true to life" as possible, but its annoying to see photogs that look "different" and eye catching and I know all they did was use one of many filters that get floated around the net to achieve the look. hehe sorta like what TOPAZ does to the noobs.

I would agree with a natural look that is true to life. That the problem I have with many "photographers". Anybody can snap a picture, crop it, throw some filters at it, selective coloring, vignetting, the list goes on. But this does not make someone a photographer.

Its all about getting it right out of the camera. And digital has taken that away from photography. You dont have to get it right. You just have to be in the realm of somewhere even close. After that, its all about what you can master on the computer.

Here is what I use PS for.

1. Correcting tilt on horizons.

2. Slight crops

3. B&W Conversions

4. Special Effects (Anthonys pictures here, transparent hood)

5. Watermarking

the one thing i was taught was to basicly pretend your using a 35mm and you only have "x" amount of shots, so EVERY one better be perfect......too many "photographers" shoot 100's of photos and just pick the best one......there comes a point to where if your walking away from a shoot and filling up a 32gb CF card and only have a handful of decent shots, your not a photographer!!