Truck tires - General Grabbers - decent?

ansonivan

I'm in the market for a set of tires for my e150 tow van, 235/75/15 is the size and cheap is the mandate.

General Grabber HTS 109T is the cheapest ($100 each) tire I can find with a 2200lb rating, reviews on the tirerack are favorable. Looking for a yay/nay on these things or alternative choices.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+HTS&partnum=375TR5GRHTSOWLXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

IIRC they were the standard base tires for S-10's and other small utility vehicles for a couple years. Could be wrong though.

That being said, my old s10 had them and they were decent tires for what they were. Of course they're not drag tires but they're not too bad for daily use.

bleh. be ready for short tread life and vibrations halfway through the tread.. I try my damnedest to not sell any general or continental tires that people dont ask/beg for.

gimme a call tomorrow and i'll see what I can do... are you wanting just a p metric tire or like and XL rating?

at/2's are a much more aggressive tire.. not meant to be a highway tread and a tire put on vans and crossover suv's. being more aggressive they cover up some of the vibration with their "truck like" feeling.. If cheap and holding the weight is you goal, or if you want something nicer just gimme a call tomorrow

232-8881

630-4pm

Derek

Derek, the van is a toy, I bought it and repaired it with play money, the tire purchase continues the trend. I had a bunch of play money in Paypal and that paid for the tires, when I want a proper set of tires for a proper vehicle I'll call you :)

Mounted the tires last night, what a joyful experience. All four wheels had a thick layer of oxidation covered by that nasty black bead sealer. Much scraping and wire brushing of the sealing area was needed to ensure a decent seal... at least until the oxidation builds up again.

All four tires had visible but mild hop/squirm an the balance machine, the worst one required 1.75oz and the others were from 1.25 to .50oz total each. Not too bad.

I'll report back when I re-balance them in 2000 miles.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5017151375_2dae7b2d19_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/5017150637_6612e7ecaa_b.jpg