A few Audi R8 Pics

BradyPPC

The Audi 4.2 weights 467lbs, the ls7 weights 458lbs. I'm not sure if your right about the dimensions, I've seen that audi block sitting in a garage before and I thought it was a V6. I bet the Audi is taller but it's much shorter. One is good for low center of gravity, the other is better for interior room. Displacement matters because of fuel economy, and why use a 5L engine if you can get the same out of a 3L?

Well you can't go by hp/L when there is a turbo involved, that just doesn't work.

The other thing is, the Audi is AWD, it has about 25% drivetrain loss, where the z06 has about 12%. So if it was a 2WD car it would be well into the 600whp range.

I'm just glad they finally decided to put the V10 in the R8, 420hp is weak for a car as badass looking as that.

You also forgot to mention (again) to them about the Lambo running the same V10 FSI as the new R8 having 1100 RWHP.

And Cycle Search, how much boost is your Evo running and can it make that power all day long, day in day out as reliably as a V8 only pushing 6psi? The R8 can be EASILY tracked all day with that set up with little to no issues unlike (generally) a HIGHLY modded, high boost car.

As for the dimensions... I will try to get dimensions tomorrow at work, one of the techs is doing a clutch on an RS4 that shares the same V8FSI as that R8.

The Audi 4.2 weights 467lbs, the ls7 weights 458lbs. I'm not sure if your right about the dimensions, I've seen that audi block sitting in a garage before and I thought it was a V6. I bet the Audi is taller but it's much shorter. One is good for low center of gravity, the other is better for interior room. Displacement matters because of fuel economy, and why use a 5L engine if you can get the same out of a 3L?

If your fuel economy for displacement is so correct, why does the EPA rate the 4.2L Audi R8 at 12 MPG city, 19 MPG highway, and 15 MPG combined, while the much higher HP 2010 Z06 is rated at 15 MPG city, 24 MPG highway, 18 MPG combined. Seeing a picture of the R8 engine bay, the motor looks nearly the same length as an LS7, but wider.

If your fuel economy for displacement is so correct, why does the EPA rate the 4.2L Audi R8 at 12 MPG city, 19 MPG highway, and 15 MPG combined, while the much higher HP 2010 Z06 is rated at 15 MPG city, 24 MPG highway, 18 MPG combined. Seeing a picture of the R8 engine bay, the motor looks nearly the same length as an LS7, but wider.

If the 4.2L Audi motor was a 7L it would get much worse gas mileage than it does now because there is more displacement and more power being made, but it would be making 700hp, and not 505hp. The LS is running limp wristed and getting slightly better fuel economy because of it. Get the LS motor making 100hp/L then we'll see what its fuel economy is.

This has gone beyond the point I was making, the R8 has a smaller motor that's already making 100hp/L, where the LS has a bigger motor with lots of improvements to be made to it to squeeze more power out of it.

If the 4.2L Audi motor was a 7L it would get much worse gas mileage than it does now because there is more displacement and more power being made, but it would be making 700hp, and not 505hp. The LS is running limp wristed and getting slightly better fuel economy because of it. Get the LS motor making 100hp/L then we'll see what its fuel economy is.

This has gone beyond the point I was making, the R8 has a smaller motor that's already making 100hp/L, where the LS has a bigger motor with lots of improvements to be made to it to squeeze more power out of it.

You are missing the point. The LS7 is physically smaller, gets better fuel mileage, lighter, and makes more power. Who cares if it was 20L? That means nothing to the end user.

You are missing the point. The LS7 is physically smaller, gets better fuel mileage, lighter, and makes more power. Who cares if it was 20L? That means nothing to the end user.

The point was people think that the R8, with turbo's isnt making as much power as they thought compared to an LS7. So I'm saying:

a) It's a smaller motor so of course the 7.0L will make more power

b) AWD has more drivetrain loss so dyno number will be lower

I don't think you're wrong, but I personally think it's more impressive if you can get the same power out of a smaller displacement motor. It wouldn't be the deciding factor for me between the cars though.

The point was people think that the R8, with turbo's isnt making as much power as they thought compared to an LS7. So I'm saying:

a) It's a smaller motor so of course the 7.0L will make more power

b) AWD has more drivetrain loss so dyno number will be lower

I don't think you're wrong, but I personally think it's more impressive if you can get the same power out of a smaller displacement motor. It wouldn't be the deciding factor for me between the cars though.

a) Not necessarily true at all, especially at these price points. It is also a 32V DOHC motor vs a 16V OHV motor. I can give a number of examples of smaller displacement motors making more power than larger displacement motors (that are motors that would compete against eachother in the same price point/target market).

b) You will loose a few more % through an AWD driveline, but it won't come close to making up the difference.