sold a truck and now guy wants to sue me

toms03cobra

when I sold my sr20 240 to a guy in newmexico, the guy called me trying to say it wasn't an sr20 in the car and he wanted money back

I sent him the video I took of the car being loaded by the shipping company he paid for, showing the car and motor

he never replied lol

Definately stop posting anything about this on a public forum first but overall he can't do a damn thing unless you specifically told him or put in an add that the vehicle was in better condition than it really was. You gave him the chance to look the truck over before he bought it and he still bought it so it is his fault completely.

Seller is almost always protected in a used car sale. It is up to the buyer to take care of having it inspected and such. I love getting people's "new" used cars at the shop that they just bought w/o having a mechanic inspect it. Usually not good, it's like less than a $35 fee at almost all shops to have it checked out.

You could offer to send a letter to the VA BMV telling them how much he really paid?

Of course I do like the "go to court" and be an upright guy and tell the judge you'll give him his $100 back and be done with it.

Exactly what I was about to suggest, mention you would be happy to show up in court to explain his tax fraud.

You could offer to send a letter to the VA BMV telling them how much he really paid?

They won't care. You don't pay any taxes or usage fees in VA for an out of state vehicle. So, come to think of it, him putting $100 makes no sense. Something seems fishy now.

EDIT - I am wrong. That's only if you take your already-owned vehicle to VA and title it there.

Definately stop posting anything about this on a public forum first but overall he can't do a damn thing unless you specifically told him or put in an add that the vehicle was in better condition than it really was. You gave him the chance to look the truck over before he bought it and he still bought it so it is his fault completely.

this isnt a public forum

the truck ran great and never had problems out of it for 3 years so he must of beat the crap out of it on his way home. he said the axles are bent and all the smog and cats needed to be reinstalled. i just dont see 7500 dollars worth of work it was a very sharp truck. i knocked off 400 just because of his trip to come get it.havent heard from him yet so who knows we will find out.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as long as you have documentation of selling it to him, you'll be fine. Otherwise you run the risk of him getting it impounded with it still in your name. Could get ugly there.

More than likely won't happen though. And he'd have to come all the way back here to take you to court. Doesn't seem like the truck would even make it back here anyway.

• Downvote 1

tell him that the car was sold as a legal, driveable vehicle in the state of ohio and what he chose to do with it afterwards is his own issue

edit: but it bears repeating, always have both parties sign a bill of sale that starts "I,_________ agree to sell [XYZ VEHICLE] to ___________ AS-IS for the price of $____"