Car headlight bulb question..

Putty

I could not believe how easy and truly plug and play it was. I added the optional harness for the 55w high beams. The only modification I had to make was a small amount of filing on the balast that came with the kit. The interlock for the factory connector was slightly to big. Took me maybe 45 min to do a CLEAN install tucking the wiring zip ties to hold it all in place and the additional harness. Including shipping for 2 sets and the harness I have $120 invested. I love them so much I bought Dad a set for his car for Father's Day. I have also convinced a couple guys at work to get them. They are now slowly installing them through their family fleets. Everything from scooters, to motorcycles, to pickups, to DD and show cars.

^^^Yeah, but your car came factory with projectors in the headlights, his didn't. So therefore the quality of the light output and the desired affect doesn't really work the same and it is ILLEGAL as well as dangerous for other drivers.

I've done 2 plug and play kits, both were bought for under $50 and worked great, but both cars I did it on came factory with projector headlamps. A 97 gsr sedan and an 06 Mazda3s.

You have a link to what you installed?

Yes, no factory projectors.

This is the most recent one I bought, early this year.

http://www.vvme.com/standard-9006hb4-hid-conversion-kit-p-60.html?cPath=44_45_31

Your car actually uses the same bulb, and since I've sold the car I had these in they are just sitting in my closet. Original box/paperwork included...I'll sell them for $40 if interested. Save like $15-$20 on shipping.

^^^Yeah, but your car came factory with projectors in the headlights, his didn't. So therefore the quality of the light output and the desired affect doesn't really work the same and it is ILLEGAL as well as dangerous for other drivers.

I've done 2 plug and play kits, both were bought for under $50 and worked great, but both cars I did it on came factory with projector headlamps. A 97 gsr sedan and an 06 Mazda3s.

I would be interested in the legality of this as I plan on doing it to more cars. Do you know what motor vehicle code it violates?

I would be interested in the legality of this as I plan on doing it to more cars. Do you know what motor vehicle code it violates?

IIRC to legally have HIDs in a car they have to A. dot approved. B. There has to have been a option for HIDs offered for that vehicle for that year.

IIRC to legally have HIDs in a car they have to A. dot approved. B. There has to have been a option for HIDs offered for that vehicle for that year.

Just from quick research:

Ohio Law - http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501-15

DOT/NHTSA Interpretations of law/FMVSS 108 - http://fmvss108.tripod.com/nhtsa_legal_interpretations.htm

After reading most of those interpretations, it is illegal to import or sell anything that does not meet the standard for Automotive Lighting (FMVSS 108). In addition, the phrases D.O.T. Approved, Off-Road Use Only, For Off-Road Vehicles Only or For Off-Road or Show Use only have no legal meaning and do not prevent liability of the manufacturer or provide exemption from FMVSS 108. Basically, it looks like if it is sold on the open market and legally imported it is legal to use.

You should be able to find cutoff shields to keep from blinding people...someone was making them on another forum im on and he cutoff line was pretty good...just an option for non projector lights

My gf's mazda3 has 8k hids...didnt even want to try messing with the bulb clip so i pulled the front bumper to get the headlights out...maybe 2 hours max