370z vs. WRX

AWW$HEEET

Co worker is looking at 07-newish 370z's and '09-'11 WRX's (base and STI models)

Price point is btw $20-30k and he ultimately wants the car that can be a DD, be the most reliable and possibly a few mods. Doesn't have to be track worthy. What would you do and why. I have relatively little knowledge about either of these cars and he needs skool'd. (me too)

My mom just bought my step-dad an 09' WRX for his birthday, it is stout and very roomie. I guess if he has kids and wants a completely functional year around car I would say WRX. If he has a daily and wants a fun, middle of the road classy car go 370.

The STi is what I would take for a DD. The Z would suck in the winter and the back seat is nonexistent.

Fixed. I'm loving my 09 WRX. Rated faster 0-60 than the STi (4.7 seconds), but I'm not gonna try the 6k clutch dump to find out if that's true. Still though, decently quick car for a DD. The hatch and AWD utility are also perfect for a DD. I get about 30mpg babying it on the freeway, and definitely wouldn't go back to my cramped Camaro for daily duty. But ultimately it comes down to what he wants out of the car. They're two completely different beasts that happen to be close performance wise.

Actually, in 0-60 comparo's, the WRX does it in 4.5 sec, while the STi does it in 4.8. Figure that one out.

Seriously though, I have had a WRX, and I loved it.

You beat me to it lol. It's because of the longer gears though, WRX gets to 65ish in second. Also there haven't been as many horror stories with the transmissions in the new WRX's since they switched to Legacy GT units.

You beat me to it lol. It's because of the longer gears though, WRX gets to 65ish in second. Also there haven't been as many horror stories with the transmissions in the new WRX's since they switched to Legacy GT units.

Now, if I could only find one to Effing test drive. There aren't any in columbus, apparently. Yo, dealers, how the fuck are you gonna sell one if you gots none?

Much like every one has already said I would go with the WRX. Have a second set of wheels and tires for that thing, one summer and one winter and it would be the perfect DD. With the right tires on it in the winter it will go like a tank. For the most part the WRX’s take go fast parts very well. An up-pipe, down-pipe combo with a tune will bring it to life. I know that the 04 and 05 WRX’s had a cat pre turbo but not 100% on any thing past that.

The WRX is a practical car. The 370 is a fun to drive car. I would rather have a Z car, but then you would need a 2wd, $1000 truck for hauling things like dirt, wood, tools, bodies, shovels, etc.

Boo to getting a sedan, get a sports car and a cheap DD (civic, simple truck, Rav4, corolla).