Anyone Know About V8 Swapped Jeep Wranglers?

hpfiend

Hey all-

Thinking about a potential project- My dad has an 87 wrangler inline 6 4wd 5spd with only 4K miles on it... it is the last year before they went to fuel injection and the engine is not that great as a result. He rarely drives it (obviously)- he bought it new and a v8 would probably destroy the value if he ever decides to sell it--- but he always talks about putting a 283 or 327 in it so thought I would ask around....

We may buy another one in bad shape to practice on first as this one is so mint.

Thanks!

Andrew

Edited by hpfiend

Pretty common swap to put in a 350 in a Wrangler. Pretty much buy the harness and adapters and you are set. There are a ton of other engines you can do as well with only getting the harness and adapter.

Always you biggest problem is going to be cooling since after you swap in a V8, there isn't much room. But if it is mainly going to see the street, then you shouldn't have too many cooling problems. Must run into that problem when they are off-roading.

Another option would be to stroke the 4.0L to a 4.6L. I have seen some making 600+ hp. If the 4.0L ever dies in my WJ, I am going to be considering this.