New 997 911 Turbo is beastly

Aaron

if you watch later in the video, they switched drivers and the vette driver was much better---looked like he edged the porsche out.

The last race seemed to give the vette at least a car lead and it seemed like it was inching forward when the race started. Its amazing what the jump does to the outcome.

Either way, both badass cars.

if you watch later in the video, they switched drivers and the vette driver was much better---looked like he edged the porsche out.

Just saw that. Cool stuff. Two matched drivers would make for a hell of an even race.

And I'll bet it's still reliable as shit. Good work Porsche.

lol are you serious?

At least they are slowly closing the gap but it still costs 28K more and everyone knows how much porsche options cost and that the zr1s are going below sticker.

lol are you serious?

At least they are slowly closing the gap but it still costs 28K more and everyone knows how much porsche options cost and that the zr1s are going below sticker.

Porsche's are reliable as shit. You can DD that car and be fine. Now the corvette on the other hand...good luck DD'ing that. Not to mention its cheaply made, ever pushed the back bumper on one? I think even Jeremy Clarkson pointed that one out. Pathetic. You get what you pay for, except in the ZR1's case, you still get a corvette.

Corvette I bet is pretty reliable too.

Have you ever owned a Porsche?

I have.

I daily my z06 unless there is snow on the ground and it is very reliable. I wont even respond to the build quality issue as it is laughable on the porsche side.

No I have not owned one. I'm speaking relatively compared to other super cars on reliability, but you can hardly control a ZR1 in the dry, how the hell do you expect to drive it in the winter? A C5 Z06 and a 1977 924 (its an entry level Porsche) does not compare to a ZR1 and a 911 turbo from 2010. ZR1 is still a Chevy, and isn't built very well, you can argue it all you want but it doesn't make it true, I also think you might be a little bias. Doesn't mean a ZR1 doesn't look and perform good though.

...but you can hardly control a ZR1 in the dry, how the hell do you expect to drive it in the winter?

Just an example, but there's a certain person at Chrysler SRT that put snow tires on a brand new Viper and daily drove it all last winter in Detroit. That car has about the same HP as the ZR1, but at least the ZR1 has traction and stability control. I'm sure the ZR1 would do just fine in the winter.

I don't care what side of the fence you're on. They're both amazing cars, and saying the Corvette has poor build quality because Jeremy Clarkson can flex the rear bumper on a C5 is just dumb. You are so dumb. For real.

No I have not owned one. I'm speaking relatively compared to other super cars on reliability, but you can hardly control a ZR1 in the dry, how the hell do you expect to drive it in the winter? A C5 Z06 and a 1977 924 (its an entry level Porsche) does not compare to a ZR1 and a 911 turbo from 2010. ZR1 is still a Chevy, and isn't built very well, you can argue it all you want but it doesn't make it true, I also think you might be a little bias. Doesn't mean a ZR1 doesn't look and perform good though.

My friend, my parents were in the Porsche club for 20 some years. They have had 914s, 911s, Audis, VWs, etc. I am well aware the 924 is an entry level Porsche- my dad sold his 67 vette for it and it was one of the poorest decisions he ever made and it was every bit as much of a prize as far as "build quality" and reliability, as my dad's much later 1 of 16 911. That is why I inherited it with only 35K miles and we had no qualms about bastardizing it with a GM V6 as a father son project.

The c5 and newer corvettes are so far beyond the Porsches that unless you are interested in status at the cost of performance and $ it is a no brainer. I think this is about the same time that porsche clubs stopped having the porsche vs corvette meets ;-). I will agree with you that German cars are very fun to drive when new and under warranty- they are "neat" but very expensive things go wrong with them that would never go wrong on a corvette- Answer me why the guys who repair them and who know them much more than the average "porschephile" never drive them- too expensive? No- other than air cooled 911s they depreciate worse than almost any other car except for maybe a Mercedes so they can definitely afford the used versions of them. I almost bought a 951 recently (again fun to drive factor) but I am well aware what I would be getting into as I have owned one - beginner model or not- and my parents have owned several during my life. What does my dad drive now? 2008 LS3 C6.

oops...

Again I never said Porsches were not neat or fun to drive- about any porsche of any vintage except for maybe the 912 or 356Bs will still turn my head in appreciation- I just said they are overpriced for their performance and not very reliable. I guess what we are arguing here is the value in the two purchases. I could care very little about status so that does not figure into it for me but I know it does for many others it does or Porsche would likely be out of business-

And FWIW we have met before Chris, if you remember, and I think your Audi is pretty impressive for what you have done to it- I just dont want one.