To buy or not to buy....

blue98ls1

1998 Volkswagon GTI VR6 - 5spd - Leather interior, 134k miles. Needs radio/pass window/Alternator.

Pro's/Con's/Opinions please.

I know nothing about VW's except it seems like a cool little car and it goes up for auction tomorrow. I want a daily driver for winter. Something that all 3 kids can fit in the backseat of. I was looking for something along the lines of a Maxima or Subaru. But we saw this today and its tempting to go bid on it. I can't drive an automatic and since this is a 5spd, seems like a good option.

I love the power of the VR6 but be ready to spend some time and money on it with that many miles IF certain things have not been replaced. With that many miles you will be looking at timing chains and possibly a new crack pipe. If it is has been taken good care of they really dont have as many issues as people claim its all in how it was treated like any other car.

As for handling its a boat anchor out front in a FWD car so it will plow if pushed hard nothing a decent driving cant overcome though. They are alot of fun though plenty of torque from low RPM all the way to redline and good power. I also averaged 20 mpg city driving so if you dont drive like a maniac you can get decent mileage if you are really worried about that.

Buy! Seems like minor shit it needs and it'll be a fun car to drive! I had a 98 gtivr6 about 6 years ago, it only had 65k on it when I bought it but it was a blast to drive. Throw an intake on it and listen to it roar, and mine handled great on h&r/konis.

It's not black on black is it? May have to check it out myself...

VR's are fun, but there will be a few areas to be addressed asap. Timing chains, clutch (it gets pulled to do the chains anyway) motor mounts, water pumps, and my favorite part the crack pipe. Had that not gone out on my Passat I'd likely still be driving it. 250K and ran like a stink. Aftermarket exhaust and an intake, that thing will make glorious noises and get 30 mpg.

Don't the VR6 have problems with eating spark packs? I am pretty sure that is the engine that a friend of mine had and I remember chaning the packs a few times. They were kind of pricy too if I remember. Been a few years ago.

The stock ones do crack over time. There are a few threads on Vortex wit DIY's for going to a Ford coil pack or MSD coils. Super easy to swap.

Ocasionally the kids get jammed up but they are still smallish. Mine are 5,6, and 11.