check your tires air pressure...

evan9381

it must be idiot month for me...ugh.

so on my beater car, about 3-4 weeks ago, i notice that at all speeds, but more noticable at highway speeds, my car is handling like a wet noodle. it wasnt horrible to drive around town, but freeway scared the shit out of me.

couple weeks ago, i started driving my explorer until i could look at the beater. finally get a chance to take it over to my buddies place, he seems to think its the sway bar or end link...there was a little flex to it, but i didnt think it seemed to be overly flexible...but it makes sense, i guess...i decided to get it up on my ramps today to check out things again, nothing seems out of place.

go to look at the rear, happened to grab the rear tire, and it seems pretty low of air. get my gauge out, fronts are at like 24-25psi, kinda low, rears arent even registering the gauge :eek::eek:. tried again, nothing. tire didnt really look flat, go to get air, gauge there says same thing...under 5psi. ouch

so once i actually have some air, the car doesnt float all over the road...i still feel like a complete ruhtard for missing something so dumb.

lesson learned.

Something similar happened to me on my bike. It just didn't feel right especially in the turns one day when I drove it into work and back home. When I parked the bike in the garage is when I realize a screw sticking out of my back tire. It had no air in it but it didn't look flat at all.

Its alright, I had one come apart on me merging onto 71 from 270 Monday morning.... fun experience

yeah, that doesnt sound good at all. the whole floating-all-over-the-road was shitty. glad thats over. im sure some new tires are in the near future for driving on them with so little air as much as i did

good thing though, is im back to ~30+ mpg city instead of the ~13-14 on my explorer on a good day. now i just need to get the front wheel bearings replaced and ill be good to go.

Tire pressure will kill gas mileage too.. they always taught in school that your tires are the number 1 most important part of your suspension

i didnt really notice a difference when i filled up...since my gas gauge went out (and im not dumping money into fixing this POS), i fill up at around ~300 miles, and check the mileage, and i think even when i just filled it up monday night, i was at high 28 or low 29 mpg.

you at work derek? if so, can you tell me how many hours it calls for to do the front wheel bearings? 2002 rio

yeah, that doesnt sound good at all. the whole floating-all-over-the-road was shitty. glad thats over. im sure some new tires are in the near future for driving on them with so little air as much as i did

good thing though, is im back to ~30+ mpg city instead of the ~13-14 on my explorer on a good day. now i just need to get the front wheel bearings replaced and ill be good to go.

Mine didnt float or act weird, it just went boom

Tire pressure will kill gas mileage too.. they always taught in school that your tires are the number 1 most important part of your suspension

Thanks for helping me out my friend, I will be bringing it back for some other odds and ends.

Tell me about it. I just picked up a Subaru Legacy Brighton wagon for a beater/work. This vehicle got a consistent 36.5MPG on the way back home at varied speeds between 60-80MPH (no cruise FTL). Anyway, I get home and check the tires and they're at 51 PSI! I noticed a bit more "float" than normal, but I knew that car is lighter than my other Subie, so I didn't expect much.

Talk about hyper-mileing, I think I am getting 32 at most now that I put it back down to 32.

Just encountered this yesterday. Drove the MS3 after about 1-2 months of really just sitting. Drove down the street and 3 of the tires registered low with the indicators chiming away. Checked them and instead of 35 in the fronts, they were about 26lbs. Rears were to be at 32 were instead at 26-28. Go figure. They are so low in profile no visual indication was even present.

I'm fucking super paranoid about my tires. I swear I have the worst luck. It seems like I'm always getting a flat or having a blowout, or getting a nail in my tire and developing a slow leak, or waking up in the morning to a tire that is completely flat, or getting tires mounted and realizing that they didn't seat a valve stem properly, or having a wheel that is bent or has a fucked up seal or some shit. The list goes on and on. It seriously happens to me all the time. I guess that's what happens when you buy used wheels.

Lately I have been checking my tire pressure twice a week, at the very least

I'd say so. THey're the only thing connecting your car to the ground.

Personally, I'm always crazy about tire pressure.

Google time:

Database of slogans.

Advertising slogans for tire

Firestone tires

Advertising slogan: Firestone. Where the rubber meets the road.

Goodyear tires brand

Slogans: On the Wings of Goodyear.

Goodyear. We discover, you explore.

Should a Woman Have to Worry About Tires? Goodyear Says No!

When Snow Say No, Goodyear says Go!.. Go, Go Goodyear!

Bridgestone tires

Ad slogan: Bridgestone. Passion for excellence.

Uniroyal Tires

Advertising slogans: Uniroyal. For everything you value.

Tried. And True.

Hankook Tire brand

Slogans: Hankook. Driving emotion.

Make love to the road.

Driven.

Pirelli tyres brand

Marketing slogans: Power is nothing without control.

Pirelli. Gripping stuff.

Fisk Tires

Advertising slogan: Time to Re-Tire. Get a Fisk.

Michelin tires brand

Taglines: Michelin. A better way forward.

High performance, time and again…

The more we progress, the better you advance.

Because so much is riding on your tires.

Dunlop

Advertising slogans: Dunlop. Drivers know.

Driving to the Future.

Fit Dunlop and be satisfied.

Cooper Tires

Advertising slogan: Cooper. Don't Give Up A Thing.

Kumho trademark

Slogans: Kumho. Race proven performance.

Way to Go.

BFGoodrich brand

Taglines: BFGoodrich. Take control.

When You're Ready To Get Serious.

Advan tires, Japan

Marketing slogan: Advan. Not for everyone.

Vredestein tyres, Germany

Motto: Vredestein. Designed to protect you.

Jesus I can only Imagine the storys you have of people I have some wild ones from work.

BTW if we charged for air checks Id be a fucking millionaire.