Help me understand something

Dr. Apex

I have friend with a car he's had for almost 3 years now. He's still making payments on it, and the car sits 99% of the time due to the car constantly needing repair or parts needing upgraded to match everything else so it can run reasonably. He already has a considerable investment in replacing the motor amongst many other things.

Seriously, what is the point of owning a vehicle that you have to pay on, and can never drive because of the car constantly needing more things and continues to create new problems?

After all he's been through with this car that can almost never be driven, and my constant efforts to talk some sense into he he holds steadfast. I just don't get it.

After all he's been through with this car that can almost never be driven, and my constant efforts to talk some sense into he he holds steadfast. I just don't get it.

This was me a few years ago, but now the car is paid off and all working good. I think it was worth it in the end.

If it's something he wants and is into, then so be it.

I have friend with a car he's had for almost 3 years now. He's still making payments on it, and the car sits 99% of the time due to the car constantly needing repair or parts needing upgraded to match everything else so it can run reasonably. He already has a considerable investment in replacing the motor amongst many other things.

Seriously, what is the point of owning a vehicle that you have to pay on, and can never drive because of the car constantly needing more things and continues to create new problems?

He's probably been upside down in what sounds like a POS. If he can't get out of it without being so, then he may as well keep it. Sounds like he went wrong with the purchase from day one. His money.....

Is it breaking because of the mods he's doing? Or because it's junk? There are a lot of people (here included) that are making payments as well as modding their cars. If he's getting wild with it and keeps finding the weak links eventually he'll have them all sorted out. He has accepted the fact that this will happen, and is willing to sacrifice.

Or he's very stubborn.

It's a 93 rx-7. It breaks because its a rotary and because its modified. I can't stand rotaries because of things like this. But he keeps defending it despite knowing the inherent problems with a car like this.

I bought a Mustang because I knew I could have fun with it and not worry about it at all, and the stang has proven damn reliable despite the track abuse.

I get it when it comes to project cars and restorations, but 3 years of "yeah ill get it out this year, as soon as I do this, or fix that" and every time 1 thing gets fixed or finally upgraded something else comes up and it goes back in the garage.

It's a 93 rx-7. It breaks because its a rotary and because its modified. I can't stand rotaries because of things like this. But he keeps defending it despite knowing the inherent problems with a car like this.

I bought a Mustang because I knew I could have fun with it and not worry about it at all, and the stang has proven damn reliable despite the track abuse.

I like working on cars as much as the next hobbyist, but I was in the some boat. Fortunately my neverending project was an $800 heap, but the basic facts were the same -- I spent 3 years dumping money into something that I never got to drive.

I eventually had to come to terms with the fact that I wasn't Moneybags McGee and I had to find a car that would fit in with my time/budget constraints; something I could work on and improve but still remain drivable most of the time. That meant scaling back my ambition and concentrating my goals. Since then, I've been hyper-sensitive to other people doing the same things, but it's really hard to get through to people. If someone wants what I wanted when I was 22 -- an 11 second car that can also kill Porsches on road courses, win car shows, and impress the ladies, it's hard to convince them that they're not as rich or qualified as they think they are.

To make it worse, telling some people they should check their ambition only emboldens them, and then if/when they finally do get to the point they want, they don't have the money to maintain it. I've seen a lot of forum superstars go out in a blaze of glory when they blow an engine and can't afford to fix it.

At this point, I'm content to keep a stock motor running in a 20 year old car. It's slow, but I have a wife and a job and 3 kids, and keeping that pile slow and running as at least feasible for me.

So to answer your question, people are stubborn.

I was going to call RX7 as soon as I read your 1st post Ben. Liking a rotary or not, that car comes with challenges. Uniquiness comes with a price. I can't say I agree from an investment stand point. But if it was paid off, I'm a 100% in his corner. It's what he likes and wants. RX7 owners aren't known for doing things people agree with or understand. But, few people can deny that a well build one is always a pleasure to see. I''d even say It's on many peoples top 10 cars thay want list.

But I do see your frustration is it's someone you spend a lot of time with. There's always the "when I get my car running..........". Or even helping them all the time and never seeing the hope of it being done. I'm 5 years with mine. 4 sets of stock twins in 10 months at one time. Electrical issues that never seem to end. Getting this piece to work with that piece. Tuning, tuning, and (did I say) tuning?

Pay the damn thing off. Then fix it right and mod as you can afford to. It takes time. And at 3 years, I'd say he has another 3 before he works things out. Unless he takes it to someone and throws $$ at it.

I have several friends that are in similar situations like this. Those cars are absolutely cool as far as looks go but financing one isn't all that smart considering in my OPINION, the only way they are worth owning is ls swapped. No flaming please, as I said that's my opinion.