need to cut a steel door (house)

evan9381

what would be the best way to do this? after finding out getting a 79" door custom made for like $600 vs an instock 82" for like $300, im weighing some options

what i want in the end is a window on the top half of the door with the blinds between the window panes. i can get an insert thats cheaper than a new door, so i'd either need to cut a pretty precise rectangle in my current door, OR take about 3" off of the 82" door and figure out a way to seal up the cut parts.

any ideas?

I have an industrial strength steel door on the side of my house that I've had for a year now and never used. It's solid ad heavy as hell. I'll take measurements for you here shortly if you're interested. I'll sell it VERY cheap.

i bet you dont need a custom door. Youve got 2 2x4s on the frame and need to remove them(one from each side)) to get the 82" to fit.

EDIT: are you just talking 1 door, or 2, like a french door? and i am now assume you mean height.....

yeah, 82" high. the door used to be 80" with a piece that was attached on the bottom, but when we put in the dricore subfloor panels to insulate the kitchen a bit, we had to rip that piece off. idk what it was...it wasnt part of the door, it had 3 nails holding it in. either way, now i can just barely fit a rug inside the door without the door catching it

i would have had my buddy just raise the height of the frame 3", but then i gotta go into getting all the siding to match outside, the j channel, etc, more than either of us want to do.

Just take a cut wheel grinder to it(just take your time and maybe use a guide), fill in the cut parts with spray foam and paint it all over with good primer and paint. It was all bare metal before it was painted anyways. Either end wont get much moisture on it anyways. Mark it, and cut above the line. Take a metal rasp ir sander to smooth it to the line.