Starting Issues

Zoner1320

I just recently picked up a head ache. 1982 Yamaha Maxim 750. I have to use starting fluid to get it going, but when i do it will run like a raped ape. Compression is good fuel flow is awsome. Floats are not sticking. Whos Brain can I pick?

How long has it sat ??

Did you at least bench clean the carbs ?

Did you pull the plugs and check them ?

Flush the tank

Is there fresh gas in it ?

Who's picking who's brain ?? LOL

I suggest pulling the carbs and cleaning them. If you don't feel you can do it, just pull them and get it dipped at the shop and pick up some new plugs while your there? If the gas sat in the carbs over the winter, That is enough to gum them up and leave a film inside.

A small amount of gas goes bad realy quick, just that tarnish is enough to fuck things up for ya.

Still bet that is your issue, if it ran last year !!

Check the boots between the carbs and the engine. If they are dry and cracked, they will need replaced. These often go bad on old bikes and allow too much air to be let in with the fuel. Add starting fluid and voila, runs, untill choked out by air getting thru cracks.

If you want to check, wrap each boot tight with plastic wrap and try to start.

UPDATE!!!

I changed the spark plugs back to their original plug (thanx cat) (went through Hell with yamaha because they wanted their money) it got a lil better. I pulled the carbs and took them to get cleaned. I put them back in and I thought that fixed it. Then i took some awsome advise (thanks max)on checking the boots. Sure enough there was a slight cunt hair crack on the inside. Now no worries. Starts on the firs crank everytime