assault riffle

04silvrz

breathe greg:)

Scott I bought a stag for my first AR to get ready for basic, probably has about 5,000 rounds through it so far and it has worked every time. Well except when Clark bought some shitty frangible rounds, made mine jam and made him buy a new bcg. But it is really a basic m4 with a rail and an eotech and that's about it. Pieced it together for under a grand (barely) without the optic and rail.

I'm picky for the most part, but it's mostly preference. I think the best part to the LMT I bought is the ability to swap barrels with ease. I have a 14.5" sitting at the house aswell. My stock of 5.56 is mostly M855 green tip NATO, but I have some 55 grain sitting around aswell. I'd say most of the AR's on the market are quality pieces, but when I went out for another AR, I wanted the best. :cool:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$1500 is more than enough to build a quality AR15 rifle. You can put together a quality M4 style AR15 with basic features for about $600.

Check out the Del-Ton.com "Complete rifle kits." These are great for beginners and only require you to put together the lower receiver which takes about 20-30 minutes the first time you do it.

You are probably on the right track going with the AR15 platform but there are MANY other options when you have a budget of $1500.

Some other suggestions you might consider:

Daewoo K2 - PROS: piston driven for clean operation, less recoil than the AR15, uses the same 5.56x45 ammo and magazines as the AR15, side folding stock, unusual and collectible so the rifles will appreciate over time

CONS: rare and replacement parts (if needed) are hard to find and expensive - fortunately they are reliable and may never need parts, most barrels have the 1:12 twist for 55 gr. bullets and will not stabilize anything heavier

AK74 - PROS: Kalashnikov reliability and simplicity - easy to clean, 5.45x39 surplus ammo is CHEAP at about $0.10/round, almost no felt recoil, available in many different configurations with wood, polymer, or folding stocks, more accurate than an AK47

CONS: not as accurate as an AR15

Czech VZ58 - PROS: 1 pound lighter than an AK47 AND has a milled receiver, fairly accurate and extremely reliable, great triggers for a military gun due to the striker style fire control group, available in wood, wood-composite, and sidefolder configurations, fire power of the 7.62x39 round, unusual grey finish which is very durable

CONS: unique magazines only come in 30 round size and are more expensive than AR15 mags, unusual grey finish - you either love it or hate it!

Edited by jjjxlr8

I'm picky for the most part, but it's mostly preference. I think the best part to the LMT I bought is the ability to swap barrels with ease. I have a 14.5" sitting at the house aswell. My stock of 5.56 is mostly M855 green tip NATO, but I have some 55 grain sitting around aswell. I'd say most of the AR's on the market are quality pieces, but when I went out for another AR, I wanted the best. :cool:

yeah I would probably get something better on my next build, especially after learning more, but I think for your first one you shouldn't get something super expensive. Something LMT is something you hold on to for a while. Though with AR platforms if something isn't as good you just swap it out, as long as the lower is okay, and that doesn't even have to be that good. My service rifle feels like crap, but some clp and it shoots everytime

yeah I would probably get something better on my next build, especially after learning more, but I think for your first one you shouldn't get something super expensive. Something LMT is something you hold on to for a while. Though with AR platforms if something isn't as good you just swap it out, as long as the lower is okay, and that doesn't even have to be that good. My service rifle feels like crap, but some clp and it shoots everytime

The AR platform is pretty awesome in that reguard. Granted, I'm still in love with the M1A/M14 platform, but I'm so used to the M16/M4/AR family of Stoner's rifles, it would be stupid not to own one. My M4 I'm about to turn in shortly was brand new out of the box when I got it in January. At most, it has 400 rounds through it. I coat my bolt and buffer in RemOil, and it runs like a champ. I do the same with my M9 even with the shitty mags, it runs without failure.

Bottom one I'm guessing is a polytech in 223.

Great guess! The bottom rifle is the Norinco 84S-1 which is simply a Chinese underfolder AKM in the .223 (5.56x45) caliber. Polytech may have imported some of these rifles, too.

The top rifle is a Norinco 86S, which is a rare Chinese AK bullpup rifle (7.62x39) that was imported in very low numbers in the late 80's before being banned. It's pretty ugly and awkward looking but is surprisingly comfortable to shoot - once you get used to the taste of the burning powder!

The top rifle is a Norinco 86S, which is a rare Chinese AK bullpup rifle (7.62x39) that was imported in very low numbers in the late 80's before being banned. It's pretty ugly and awkward looking but is surprisingly comfortable to shoot - once you get used to the taste of the burning powder!

What's the trigger like on that one? I fired one a couple years back, I liked the feel and performance, but the trigger was flat-out horrible...

What's the trigger like on that one? I fired one a couple years back, I liked the feel and performance, but the trigger was flat-out horrible...

The trigger is surprisingly good, especially for a bullpup configuration. It has a longer pull, but is not heavy and breaks nice and clean.

I had read that some of the 86S rifles had problems with trigger pull before I bought it and my expectations were low. I guess I got lucky with this one.

If you order a rifle kit, barrel, or custom upper from Del-Ton.com on the 26th or 27th, use the BRF2010 code at check out to receive 15% off.

If my new bank card finally gets here, I'll have to check that out. My old man doesn't like his free float Wilson upper, even though it groups like a champ. He's been wanting my LMT since I got it :lol:

You should change the title to:

Gas operated, magazine fed, semi-automatic rifle.

i haven't really fired any type of Gas operated, magazine fed, semi-automatic rifle. i was also looking at tactical shotguns, I was really debating the two and decided I would like to go with aGas operated, magazine fed, semi-automatic rifle.

http://ak3.pagalguy.net/wp-content/other/ctrl_c_ctrl_v_plagiarism.png