NTB people question

Crossle

So, just to stir the pot and because I'm curious I have a question.

I was speaking to a friend of mine last night who had 2 tires mounted on his '03 Accord on factory NON-TPS 17's and he seemed quite dis-pleased that he was told he had a $45 charge for "special valve stems" that had to be installed on "high performance applications/wheels" on top of his 2 tire installation.

This happened at NTB, I have no idea which one since I didn't refer him anywhere, but regardless everyone should be getting the same services at the same company across the board RIGHT????

I didn't look at his car, but could someone clarify for me what those are exactly and why they "need" to be replaced? I have an idea of which valve stems they are, but you don't need to replace them unless they are leaking which they were not.....

??

he does or does not have tire pressure monitors?

company wide we are required to replace them. we've been told tpms kits(ty nut, nickle valve core, base grommet, and cap) should be sold to the customer but if you're not a good enough salesman, they still go on the car and you discount them off the ticket. either way 45 bux is way in left field.. shoulda been no more than 30 each on the high side.

??

he does or does not have tire pressure monitors?

company wide we are required to replace them. we've been told tpms kits(ty nut, nickle valve core, base grommet, and cap) should be sold to the customer but if you're not a good enough salesman, they still go on the car and you discount them off the ticket. either way 45 bux is way in left field.. shoulda been no more than 30 each on the high side.

Same @ DT.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/brochure/general/tpmsRebuildKit.jsp

I always try to get people to rebuild them they get corroded from salt and when that happens most you cannot service and take apart leaving you replacing the whole unit.

But what do tire places know....

If I didnt trust a place %100

I would not take it there.

Derrick mentioned above and I agree 30 for two is crazy assuming you only have a TPMS that needs the core, rubber grommet and nut replaced. we ussually charge people 5 dollars for that procedure however when you need to break the whole assembly down and put a new stem on the tpms plus what i just mentioned above we charge $10

People flip out on us when they see those charges and dont want it. then they come in a few months later and there shit is all fucked up and seized on and they wish they woulda replaced them...

So, just to stir the pot and because I'm curious I have a question.

I was speaking to a friend of mine last night who had 2 tires mounted on his '03 Accord on factory NON-TPS 17's and he seemed quite dis-pleased that he was told he had a $45 charge for "special valve stems" that had to be installed on "high performance applications/wheels" on top of his 2 tire installation.

This happened at NTB, I have no idea which one since I didn't refer him anywhere, but regardless everyone should be getting the same services at the same company across the board RIGHT????

I didn't look at his car, but could someone clarify for me what those are exactly and why they "need" to be replaced? I have an idea of which valve stems they are, but you don't need to replace them unless they are leaking which they were not.....

Non tps wheel?......

You mean non tpms car correct?.....

And yes you do need to replace them Every time you change your tires.

People flip out on us when they see those charges and dont want it. then they come in a few months later and there shit is all fucked up and seized on and they wish they woulda replaced them...

I truly find if I explain it to the customer they have no issue paying for it. Granted not every person at the front counter pitched it like I do, so there are struggles at times.. but it's usually not a big deal.

Non tps wheel?......

You mean non tpms car correct?.....

And yes you do need to replace them Every time you change your tires.

Yes, I meant TPMS, and according to the manufacturer you SHOULD replace them at every tire change which is ridiculous unless they are faulty since they are about $70+ per sensor.

And in my scenario I was talking about a car that does not have TPMS.

Lol, dealing with tps issues on one of my MR2's right now.

Just looking for a clarification that's all. I will not argue about what works better or which mehod is better. All companies have their own policies for a reason.

Yes, I meant TPMS, and according to the manufacturer you SHOULD replace them at every tire change which is ridiculous unless they are faulty since they are about $70+ per sensor.

And in my scenario I was talking about a car that does not have TPMS.

Lol, dealing with tps issues on one of my MR2's right now.

Just looking for a clarification that's all. I will not argue about what works better or which mehod is better. All companies have their own policies for a reason.

You dont replace the whole sensor just the rubber grommet and the parts inside and what hold it together.

NTB has tried to slip all sorts of things by me.. from tire disposal fees (when they didn't dispose of any tires) to special tire coverage, etc.

I won't be buying from them again.

Get this in your sig...

ALL NTB'S ARE CROOKS. NEVER GO THERE

NTB has tried to slip all sorts of things by me.. from tire disposal fees (when they didn't dispose of any tires) to special tire coverage, etc.

It sounds like you did not deal w/ Derek Downtown.

:confused:

I have NEVER had an issue there, and recommend them to EVERYONE!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Thats just part of buying tires, not just NTB.

Its like buying a car at a dealer, you just KNOW they are going to try to sell you extended warranty, scotch guard, accessories, blahblah.

put your man pants on, and say NO.

Thats just part of buying tires, not just NTB.

Its like buying a car at a dealer, you just KNOW they are going to try to sell you extended warranty, scotch guard, accessories, blahblah.

put your man pants on, and say NO.

LOL... apparently saying NO still makes them bill you! I am not an idiot.

Jesus this is not an attack on certain people here that work for NTB. I have been helped by them in the past.

My post was to alert people to be AWARE of what you are being charged for. With all the cock-sucking revolving around a certain NTB location I don't want people to blindly pay for shit they don't need to at any random NTB just because one particular location supposedly walks on water.

I stand by my statement. I will not shop at NTB ever again and everyone should pay attention to their bills.

If Derek was such a great salesperson/manager he would MATURELY contact me to say: Hey, let me take care of you for your next tire purchases. I will give you a reason to drive the extra 15mins to always come to my location.

Instead, I get some a-hole remark. Great opportunity lost.

• Downvote 1

First off Mudcrutch, you can buy road hazzard for your new tires incase you get a tire repair that we can not fix, now your stuck with a new tire that can't be patched. happened to my friend who works there but he bought it.

2nd we SHOULD be charging you a fee for cleaning your corrosion off ever alloy/chorme wheel, but we dont, none the less you should put a new valve in every tire that gets taken off.

You dont replace the whole sensor just the rubber grommet and the parts inside and what hold it together.

Ha. Most dealers doesn't do this unless there is damage to the rubber grommet causing it to leak. Why spend money where you don't have to?

• Upvote 1

Not a thing against NTB (trust me, ive probably told 4 people to go to derek in the last month), bit when my gfs parents took my gfs car to firestone for new tires so they could put it on their cc, i dont recall there being any charge for replacement sensors, and she has tpms (2007 mazda3)

Gmann-Cause we dont want you to come back bitching that your tires are leaking.

I don't have customers come back bitching that their tires are leaking when I don't install new parts that aren't needed. I have happier customers because I just saved them $100 on unnecessary parts. Not trying to get into a pissing match here, or tell you how to do your job. What I'm trying to say is sure, put an estimate together for each car showing that they will NEED the parts POSSIBLY. Then once you get the wheel apart inspect the grommet for tearing/deterioration. Then sell them the new part, if need be. Each car should be different, some will need them while others won't. Know what I mean?

Most of the time the valve cores wont even come out of tpms wheels, and let alone most of the time every wheel needs cleaned on the edge of the rim. Then again tpms is a waste of shit on a car.

too bad the government is the one saying that cars need a TPMS because people are too stupid to check their tires. i can't remember if its 2012 or 2013 all cars must have them.

also of all the tires i have replaced at the dealer the only time the valve stems were replaced was on new wheels or a TPS was broken (my school to work kids loved to do this for some reason and our tire machine sucked for them)

95% of the time you do not need new stems or sensors. the tire stores do it to cover their ass. they also make some money off of it too, $.75 valve stem and charge you $3 for.