Sandusky Ohio

99BlownYellowGT

I lived in that hole for a few years in between NYC and Columbus. Sandusky sucks, but Anthony's right... Dayton is worse. Huron is a nice place to live, and it's a 10 minute drive from RT 250... but due to the waterfront, property can be kind of expensive. Castalia is okay, and Berlin Heights is a semi-rural town that's about a 20 minute drive.

Cedar Point. Now send me those aquarium pics! :D

Cedar Point. Now send him those aquarium pics! :D

Cedar Point. Now send him those aquarium pics! :D

http://i46.tinypic.com/20qantj.gif

What about places like vermillion, norwalk, or places south of there to live.

Vermillion is basically waterfront too. I've truthfully only passed through there... so I couldn't tell you much about it. Norwalk is a little south of Milan, not bad from what I remember. Bellvue also used to be a nice community. I didn't mean to say there aren't nice parts of Sandusky; there are. And if you're budget conscious, the areas immediately surrounding downtown are downright cheap. Not the greatest place to live, but it isn't exactly Bed-Stuy either.

My Grandparents live in Port Clinton which is probably about 20 minutes away. It is terribly boring there in the winter months since it is "out of season" for most of the businesses there. They are a tourist town and when the Jet shuts down, cedar point closes, etc. It gets pretty deserted, we were up there yesterday for Thanksgiving and it was just the locals at this point.

Sandusky itself is pretty industrial and the neighborhoods near "downtown" Sandusky which is comparable to the size of Old Worthington is getting pretty shitty to say the least. It's sad to see, but the homes are starting to go down hill in up keep from when my Mom used to take me up there when I was a kid.

The commute to Columbus isn't terrible, it's a solid 2 - 2.5 hours pending traffic. Just need to weigh your options when it comes to how good the opportunity is. Can't really help you there. We love it up there in season when the weather is nice, otherwise it's just family.

My Grandparents live in Port Clinton which is probably about 20 minutes away. It is terribly boring there in the winter months since it is "out of season" for most of the businesses there. They are a tourist town and when the Jet shuts down, cedar point closes, etc. It gets pretty deserted, we were up there yesterday for Thanksgiving and it was just the locals at this point.

Sandusky itself is pretty industrial and the neighborhoods near "downtown" Sandusky which is comparable to the size of Old Worthington is getting pretty shitty to say the least. It's sad to see, but the homes are starting to go down hill in up keep from when my Mom used to take me up there when I was a kid.

The commute to Columbus isn't terrible, it's a solid 2 - 2.5 hours pending traffic. Just need to weigh your options when it comes to how good the opportunity is. Can't really help you there. We love it up there in season when the weather is nice, otherwise it's just family.

Bump +1

I lived in norwalk oh for 18years, good place to raise a kid schools are legit, but if I had to choose huron ohio would be my choice to raise a family and have good neighbors.

I grew up in Sandsuky when to school in Castailia. Where you looking to work at? It'sgone its very quiet very much a tourist town, when CP is done its very quiet there. If you are looking for a nice house to rent anyplace will be good compared to Columbus even the bads areas here are a joke. If I were to move back here I would want to have a house In Perkins township or Castalia.

Winter can be kinda crappy up here compared to Columbus typically in town its fine but all the connecting roads for each town are surrounded by fields drifting snow is always a issue.

I'm from Fremont which is about 30 minutes away. That town's going downhill, but there are lots of smaller towns surrounding Sandusky that are very nice and quiet... but fairly isolated from "civilization". I saw you mentioned Bellvue, I almost bought a house there but couldn't get the job at the local train yard I wanted.

So you are saying look for a place in sandusky and not norwalk?

Both are nice places to live in. Honestly I would say it depends no how close you want to live to your work. Depends on how long you plan on staying and if your kids (if you have any) are old enough to go to school. Sandusky is good school 50/50 mix of black and white kids. Margaretta (Castalia) 98 all white Perkins is about a 70/30 mix (also they are in need of money the last levi here failed. There is one Private school here St. Marys, Huron schools are defuct and now being controled by the state. Norwalk has decent schools as are Bellevue's.

Another nice and small town is Clyde it's about the same distance as Bellevue.

Both are nice places to live in. Honestly I would say it depends no how close you want to live to your work. Depends on how long you plan on staying and if your kids (if you have any) are old enough to go to school. Sandusky is good school 50/50 mix of black and white kids. Margaretta (Castalia) 98 all white Perkins is about a 70/30 mix (also they are in need of money the last levi here failed. There is one Private school here St. Marys, Huron schools are defuct and now being controled by the state. Norwalk has decent schools as are Bellevue's.

Norwalk also has a large private school called St. Paul's

Best peaches in Ohio are grown in Clyde at Eshleman's fruit farm. :D