Wow. Game changer

Drewhop

While I was in Iraq they had modified anti-missile Phalanx chainguns (normally used on aircraft carriers) scattered around the base. The radars were modified to sense smaller ordnance like an incoming mortar and determine if it will hit inside the base or not. If so, it would rip out a stream of tracers, each one kind of like the bullets mentioned here. It would take into account bullet speed, mortar speed and arc, etc.. and each of the thousands of bullets would be “programmed” on the way out of the barrel, explode right before the mortar, sending shrapnel out towards it. It was awesome to see, especially at night. Oh yeah and each round cost $250 for that.

While I was in Iraq they had anti-mortar Phalanx chainguns scattered around the base. The radar would sense an incoming mortar and determine if it will hit inside the base or not. If so, it would rip out a stream of tracers, each one kind of like the bullets mentioned here. It would take into account bullet speed, mortar speed and arc, etc.. and each of the thousands of bullets would be “programmed” on the way out of the barrel, explode right before the mortar, sending shrapnel out towards it. It was awesome to see, especially at night. Oh yeah and each round cost $250 for that.

The CIWS is freakin awesome. Similar to the ones they use on ships, I imagine. Had no idea they could knock down mortars as well.

So far I haven't seen it personally. The problem with all these new weapons is lack of support to fix them if they break. I've seen the new H&K M320's aka the M203 replacement, and a few MK48 (7.62 chambered SAWs) , even the M32 MGL launcher the Marines are rocking, but a majority of this stuff is in the hands of Special Operations, or down in the south with some of the big active units in the shit. It'll be a nice edition especially in the mountains where anything can pop off at a moments notice. There's been a lot of ordanance dropped around the south towards Pakistan. Like a lot of new toys, most conventional units don't see the new, high speed stuff for some time.